• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Moss 590 SP Firing Pin Retaining Pin

Steve in PA

Copper BB
Anyone ever have one break?

I have a 590 SP and today I had to qualify an officer for our department. Instead of using our regular Moss 500 shotguns, I brought my 590 SP. When it came time for the shotgun, I took mine out of the case and went to rack the action and found I couldn't get it open. Felt like the bolt was hitting something. So, I moved on to the department shotgun.

Got home, tore the shotgun down and found a little round washer, later to be identified as the firing pin washer. Got the bolt out and found the firing pin falling out. After looking over the bolt I could see that the firing pin should have been held in by the firing pin retaining pin. I started to tap out this pin and found it was broken. A small piece fell out first, then I had to continue tapping out the remainder.

I just ordered a new firing pin and firing pin retaining pin from Brownell's. Hope to have them in a few days. I have no idea what would have caused the retaining pin to break. Any ideas?

Got my replacement firing pin and firing pin retaining pin from Midway USA today. This is a picture showing the retaining pin that broke. Still have no idea what caused the pin to break.

Back