• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossbeg 500 newbie with a daft question

spready

.22LR
Hi Guys

This is my first post and my first mossberg 500, ive got the hushpower 12g with wooden stock and front end . Im just wondering if im able to change this to one of the neat tactial black style ones ive seen on the forum. Im only asking this as ive read that guns made after 2006 cant have there forends changed? is this correct?

sorry in advance if its a very dumb question , but im sure as time goes by there will be plenty of them lol

From the Last Frontier!

Spready, this would depend on whether you had the pinned forend or an action slide tube underneath your forend. just look toward the rear of the forend... if you see somehthing that looks like a pin on either side, you cannot change the forend without first buying a slide action tube first, which rund between $50-60. There's a couple of threads describing the differences in slide action tubes and forends.

Hogue_Forend-Mossberg_500.jpg

welcome to the club from NY. no such thing as a dumb question. we are all here to help.
enjoy the site and when you get a chance post a pic or two. :)

Well i picked my hushpower mossberg 500a 12 up today, had a look at the forend and it doesnt seem to be pinned or any signs of them. so I'm guessing i should be able to change it straight over??

,,,,take a look at the front end of the forend,,,,,you should see a slotted nut (like in the pic)
you will need to take it apart to measure the forend tube.

Attachments

• Mossberg_500_forend_nut.jpg
    Mossberg_500_forend_nut.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 444
AR castle nut wrench... or just a flat piece of metal, wrench etc that you can run across the slots ( when I can't find my castle nut wrench I use the wrench that came with my grinder to change out the wheels) I also remember someone making their own wrench and posting pics...

Lol, what I'm trying to say is that anything will work if you can make it fit :lol:

take the gun apart,,,,,like AK said a flat piece of metal will do it.
the wood hand piece will come right off. then you can measure the action tube.

this guy used a piece of a muffler hanger,,,,

Attachments

• p156-mossberg-forend-nut.jpg
    p156-mossberg-forend-nut.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 421
If you are intending to put a Hogue fore end on AND have the smaller sized slide tube, you just need to get the adapter nut that Hogue sells. Check ebay, brownells, or midway too... With the adapter nut you can still use your existing tube and get whichever length fore end you want.

Just my .02

Its was that or the ATI akita , what do you think? as i said its all new to me, but i will have to order from the USA so im sure i will get stung with import taxes :(

Personally, and I know I'm not alone, I like the Hogue forend above any others. It's very comfortable, slightly contoured for your hand, and semi textured for grip. I have a Hogue forend and ATI adjustable stock on my 500 now, and have received many compliments on range days from other shooters and range officers at how comfortable and "complete" the gun feels. Many guys, myself included, swap items around on the gun but I find that set up to be my "Go To" set for everyday use. I hope this opinion helps.

Thanks for the advice there mate. Ive seen a few more on midwayuk.com , but some say for 1996 models? is there alot of difference?

I think the date specification is for the forends not the actual stock. And even then, the specification could be just be for the length of tube they used then. I know it really sounds like WAY too much information to grasp, but it is kinda basic. Once you know what you have and what you really want, we can guide you better at that point. Cheers!

You can but imo you are doing yourself a disservice when you put a stock with a pistol grip on a mossberg 500, especially if you are using it for home defense. Since the safety is on top of the receiver you can't reach it without taking one hand off the shotgun. Same with the slide release, since it is blocked by the grip. You have to take one hand of to use it too.

It really comes down to whether you think being 'tacticool' is more important than being able to easily operate the gun. If you think it is, by all means go for a tacticool stock. Keep in mind you may need the hogue forend adapter nut when you are replacing the forend. Measure your the forend you have now and if it is 6-3/4" and the forend you order is 7-3/4 you will need to pick one up.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/643889 ... rend-tubes

Back