• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 395 Bolt Action Shotgun

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
Anyone own one of these? I have a local pawn shop that has a pretty good condition one that I have been debating picking up.

Mossberg 395KB Bolt Action Shotgun 12g with c-lect choke
p901461856-4.jpg

p570123822-4.jpg

p846710010-4.jpg

p947373726-4.jpg

They are a fun shotgun to own and rather affordable. I look to pick one up again in the future.

Go for it! I have a 385 (20ga) Great shooter and usually go
for about $100-$125 if very clean. Pics look good. Just put a new
buttpad on it- the old one is probably like a rock. Havlin sales for an
extra magazine and have fun.

I need to look into these bolt action slug guns. My father in law had a 695 deerslayer. His ex wife gave it away to piss him off.

Sorry for resurrecting a really old thread but there doesn't seem to be much information on the 395T Bolt Action shotgun I've been considering... I think the guy's asking too much money but it looks like it's in good shape. The barrel is 28" Full choke, chambered for 2 3/4" and 3" shells. He's asking $175 cdn (around $140 US). Looks like someone parkerized it. What do you guys think?

IMG_3634.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3638.JPG

I think if I had the cash in hand I'd do it for that price. Depending on the situation I might put something a little lower on the table and see what they would take. No harm in asking, they can only say no. As long as you don't offer so low you offend them.

I agree the price doesn't seem too far off, especially considering the condition.

Like @Rossignol said, put an offer on the table and see if the seller will meet your price. If not, if it were me I'd pay $140 US for it...

I agree, the condition looks good. I've seen a few, but none as nice as that one.

Any of you guys know where I can find disassembly instructions, especially for bolt teardown, etc?

Only bolt guns I've used were a Mosin 91/30 and M44, YouTube is filled with videos on them. Can't find much that's in depth on the 395.

Try here.....

The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part V - Shotguns, Part 5

I couldn't get a direct link,,,

Do a Google search "Mossberg 395 disassembly"

I forgot to mention it's about 7 down.

Last edited:
Havlin sales maybe?
havlinsales.com

They have chokes, stocks and magazines for the 395 under the bolt action shotgun tab. I tried to link it directly but it comes up with the same addy as the home page. They're very helpful folks and may be able to point you in a direction if there's anything else you're looking for beyond what they have available. That and eBay can be a wonderful place.

Havlin sales maybe?
havlinsales.com

What always kills me is that firearm parts are hard to find in Canada, then the ITAR regulations cause most companies not to ship here. Numrich does, but they have some juicy fees involved.

Models 395, 395K, 395KA, 395KB, 495, 495A, 495B, 395S, 395T, 495T, 595
Magazine $32 *not always in stock
Stock, new synthetic black $95
Extractor $9 (specify left or right)
Ejector $6

SF2_008.JPG

Here's the 595 with the sought after 5rd magazine...

model595AP5.jpg

Hi All:

I am continually picking these up, refinishing them and them selling them again. I have a 395K beauty that I'm presently in the process of rejuvenating - I'll post some pictures when the project is complete. Usually these gems have been sitting in 'Uncle Mikes' closet for decades...unused and unloved. The old stocks are beautiful and the graining is spectacular when allowed to show through. Tru Oil is amazing stuff. Also, I'm a bit of a historical firearms buff and I like the idea of getting these old shotguns back into the woods. They're ugly as hell, which results in them being overlooked when people start looking for an affordable, multi-shot shotgun. I see them come up every so often and I almost always jump at them. I have never paid more than $150 for one. Strip the old varnish off with a good furniture stripper, refinish it with Tru Oil, reblue it and presto...you'll have a marvelously versatile shotgun good for deer, geese, rabbits and upland birds. They get a bad rap because there were so many made and they were considered a 'working man's firearm'. If you pick one up and take it birding, I guarantee that you'll become one of 'us'...an old 'Mossy' lover! Also, some don't like the fact that it's a bolt-action which, I'll admit, is a bit of an anomaly for shotguns. I really don't see the second shot lay-up advantage from a pump or semi as a real issue when you consider that, aside from waterfowl, you are generally going to only get one targeted shot off anyway. Regardless, follow up shots are made relatively easy due to this Mossy's removeable box magazine. I know a few turkey hunters that swear by these things!

The ONLY drawback that I've ever seen, is that when you need parts, you're out of luck if you're in Canada. Havlin in the States carries everything you need, but due to legislative restrictions, they cannot ship to Canada. Not really a big issue, unless you break a bolt or firing mechanism. If that happens, sell it for parts and move on. (There are many people out there who will purchase one to cannibalize). DON'T LOSE THE MAG, they're like gold. (Unfortunately, that bit of advice is from direct experience)!! I recently sold two 395's and personally still have two of these (both a 20 and 12 gauge), and a spare one for parts. They're not modern, they're not cool and they're not sexy. What they are, is rugged and dependable. I'll take that anyday.

By the way, if you have one in .410 or 16-gauge, I'm interested, lol.

Cheers,
Shawn

Last edited:
Back