• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Scopes, Rings, and Bases

eganfan

.22LR
For you 464 owners out there who wish to mount a scope on your rifle, per Mossberg customer service, the recommended base is the Weaver 403. That's the front base for Winchester '94 angle-eject rifles. You'll need two 403 bases for the 464. Do not get the rear angle-eject base, just two of the fronts and you're good to go.

I've ordered mine from Midwayusa.com and will mount a BSA 2.5 X 20 long eye relief scope and let everyone know how it works out as soon as I can get to the range. This particular BSA is an inexpensive ($40-50) fixed power scope that I've had for years. It should be fine for most deer or wild hog hunting situations. It's only a hair over seven inches long and very light and shouldn't detract from the 464's superb "brush gun" characteristics.

Re: Scope Bases for the 464

Great information and I am glad that Mossberg was able to help you out with picking the right base. I look forward to seeing your review of the base and the scope you picked.

I've ordered it but don't expect it to arrive until the middle of next week, along with a set of .30-30 reloading dies. :D I'll post pictures of the gun w/scope once I have it knackered together.

Mossberg 464 Scope rings

After a bit of frustration, I think I'm near to a solution I'm going to be happy with, so I will share my experience. I have bases, and have struggled to get rings that I found to be low enough. I can tell you that the weaver medium are too high for me to get a good cheek weld. After much research and trying 3 different sets of rings, I've got some Leupold Rifleman Low rings from OpticsPlanet (part no 56524). The are in the mail and I will let you know what I think when they get here. They are supposed to be significantly lower than the weaver mediums I had, and for about $15 for leupold rings I think it's a deal.

UPDATE: leupold rifleman rings are in and they are very high quality, and very low. I think I would not want the lower half of the ring any thinner, so happy with them. Esp since they are lifetime garunteed, lower than about anything, and only $15

This is the result of my research, mostly garnered from:
parts descriptions on http://www.tactical-store.com
and this chart from Midway

(.089) Weaver Top-Mount matte low 49040
(.112) Leupold Rifleman Low 56524
(.115) Millet Angle-Loc Low DT00701
(.130) Burris Zee Low Quick Detatch Lever 420031
(.130) Burris Zee Low 420083
(.168) Weaver Grand Slam Medium 49303 **I installed these and they were too high for my preference
(.168) Weaver 1" Quad-Lock 4X4 Rings Matte Medium 49046
(.275) Millett Angle-Loc Windage Adjustable Low Matte AL00710

The Weaver Standard Low rings seemed low enough too, these are the ones with 2 screws on one side only, but I didn't feel very confident in the design. Note that I could not find any of these rings at my local walmart, independant gun store, Bass Pro Shop, or Dick's sporting goods! Quite irritating.

Here's what I bought, FYI If you order the 2 #403 bases, leupold standard low rings, and a pair of $2 safety glasses from Optics-Planet.com, you qualify for free shipping.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leupold-rif ... rings.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/weaver-top- ... bases.html
http://www.opticsplanet.net/pyramex-ala ... 3230s.html

UPDATE 1-20-2011:
Got em installed, and these Leupold rifleman rings are perfect and high quality.

Re: Mossberg 464 Scope rings

I had similar issues with my mossberg 4x4 but it was that I couldn't find tall enough mounts. Thanks for posting up your findings as I am sure you will save other members from having to try various options like you did. Let us know how the new ones fit!

Re: Mossberg 464 Scope rings

Did you ever get the scope mounted properly on your mossberg 464 lever action?

Mossberg 464 Lever Action Scopes/Mounts

Just got my new 464. I own a decent scope that will only mount to a rail. Does anybody know if there is a rail I can mount to the pre drilled scope base mounts on the 464

Thanks for your help

Re: picatinney rail for my new 464

A weaver #403 should be what you are looking for.

Howdy scbckc, and welcome to the club. Feel free to mosey around here, and ask as many questions as you need to. We have goggles of members here who love to help. See ya soon.

I looked at the Weaver #403, it consists of 2 very short rails. I am looking for something that will run the full distance between the scope mounts in one solid rail intsead of 2 short pieces. Looks to be about 6"

Thanks for you help

Let me see if there is anything like that available.

I am using the Weaver's... (403)
One reason there is no long one piece rail is that the Mossberg's ejection is like the Winchecter almost right out of the top. Un-like Marlins..... :cool:

I looked around (some ;) ) and did not find any long rails.....

Welcome, too.

Lateck,

I recently found an alternative to the Weaver 403 bases. There is a company called Kwik-Site that makes both bases and rings specifically for the Mossberg 464. http://www.kwiksitecorp.com/ I've ordered their "combo" of both bases and 'low' rings. They haven't arrived yet. When they get here, I'm planning to mount a Redfield Revolution 2X7 using the Kwik-Site hardware. I'll let ya know.

Just a quick update. The mounts and rings arrived. From order on internet to mailbox... three days. Pretty good for "standard" shipping. So, this is what the package looks like. Just about everything needed is in the package. Screws, bolts... even an allen wrench.
Kwik.jpg

I too am interested in getting a single piece picatinny rail for the receiver on my 464 and so far haven't found one. It should be an easy piece for a machinist to make though.

The 464 is not like the Winchester, if you look at the end of the bolt you will see the extractor and the ejector pin are at about 30º to the horizontal, if unobstructed that is the angle the shells will eject at. Just holding a straight picatinny rail on the top of the receiver and cycling the action, all of the cartridges eject cleanly as they should. If a blank picatinny rail was used, one a bit higher than normal, then it would also have sufficient material for an 'ejection slot' to be cut into it if it was later deemed necessary.

For anyone who's interested, the radius of curvature on the top of the receiver is .61" as near as I can measure it and the screws look like they're 6-40 (that's mostly guess, they may be 6-48). If I can find a 6" blank rail a little taller than normal I may try and make one...

The problem with the short 403 rails is that a single one isn't long enough to mount some accessories such as red dot finders, and the red dot finders are usually too short to engage both the fore and aft 403 segments as installed on the 464.

One solution is to use a riser that will clamp onto both 403 segments as installed. The red dot can then be mounted on the riser. But I'm a firm believer in minimizing the number of potential problems, and each clamped connection is a potential problem.

A single, long (6" or so) picatinny rail is the best choice, problem is, there is no choice...

Another thing to mention is that the iron sights will be hidden if anything but the lowest picatinny rail is used... possibly even a problem then...

Back