• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 472 .30-30 project

I picked up a Mossberg 472 in .30-30 the other day, seems to be a pretty well made rifle. This one has seen some rough treatment over the years, but we are going to get it straightened out. It's going to be a hunting gun so it's getting a basic parkerized finish on the metal and oil on the stock. My gunsmith suggested cutting it down to 16'' also, I'm seriously considering that.

Sorry there's not really any before pictures, this thread was an afterthought.

Re: Mossberg 472 lever

Welcome aboard Sir!

Looks like you've got a fun project on your hands. We'd love to see some pics...

My schedule and my gun guy's didn't line up this week, so I'm shipping everything out to him tomorrow. I'd be happy to take some pictures, but it's in many, many pieces right now. LOL!

The rifle will be headed out your way, the guy is in Winchester.

Keep us posted on your progress.

I'm lookin forward to seeing this completed...

Here's a picture as requested...

IMAG0711.jpg

LOL! I didn't have a punch that fit the roll pin that holds the trigger in well enough for my liking so that's still in there and the bolt is still intact, it's staying here so I can deal with it later.

Right now I'm leaning towards having him cut the barrel to 16" and the mag tube down to where it doesn't stick out of the forend very far, like some of the marlins were. I think getting rid of the front barrel band MIGHT help in the accuracy department, but I didn't work up any loads for it before so I'll never know.

Should I start a new thread for this project, or continue to hijack this one?

Your call.

If you wanna start a new thread on your project I can move these post into it...

Probably not a bad idea, I had a horrible time finding anything about these guns, so maybe a new thread with a better title might help anyone who is searching for info.

I'm also struggling with the optics choice for this rifle, the front runner right now is the Nikon Prostaff in 2-7x32, but I like the Weaver V3 also.

This one had been put on the back burner due to my gun guy having shoulder surgery, me having back surgery and a Remington 870 project that I had to get done first.

Now that I'm back on the Mossberg, I'm considering swapping the stock and lever for one from the straight stocked version. I'm thinking that with a 16" barrel and the straight stock, she would be a very handy little carbine...

Looking forward to see the rest of this project pan out. It's making me miss the Marlin 336 I sold... :(

I haven't forgotten about this, but apprently my gunsmith had. HA! He's had the action since late Feb, I'm on vacation this week so I'm going to go get it.

I can't seem to find a used straight stock, but I did find a finger lever for one. I can get a new one from Numrich but they really like them and who knows if I'll be able to get it to match the forend. I considered cutting and reshaping the current stock, but I would probably be money ahead to buy a new one and sell this one to recoup some of the cost.

Will,
I'm new here so I cant PM you. But I was wondering if you had any trouble removing the screw that holds the action in from the stock. I have one that I will be trying to get out since the shop that has it said they cant get it out. I need to replace the elevator on it. Thanks.

Will,
I'm new here so I cant PM you. But I was wondering if you had any trouble removing the screw that holds the action in from the stock. I have one that I will be trying to get out since the shop that has it said they cant get it out. I need to replace the elevator on it. Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply, mine screwed right out with no problems. Sorry I can't be more help.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Did this get finished

Unfortunately no. I wasn't able to go pick it up while I was on vacation and I've been trying to get the guy who was supposed to do the work to send my parts back.

I've lost interest in .30-30 so I'll mostly sell the rifle once it's back together and functional. It'll make someone a good cheap truck gun/deer rifle anyway.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Back