• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 20" VR Barrel was excellent today at course.

MossyMilDot

.270 WIN
I took my new Mossy 500 Mariner with 20" Barrel #90140, Choate Stock, Carlson's tactical Choke (IC) and they all worked great in a 8-hour shotgun course. I hit a steel plate (2 sq feet) at 85-yards on first shot with 7/8oz reduced recoil slugs. I need to Cerakote Firearm Coatings the barrel next.

That's awesome. That's actually the barrel that I have been scouring the internet to find for about the past week. I mean seriously scouring the internet every day and often. I have an old 500 that I want to set up for turkey hunting and totally prefer the short barrel. Good to know that it performed so well.

It's like turned into a quest at this point.

Sweet Stuff! Sounds like you had a good time!
How do you feel now, after taking a shotgun course, than you did before?

I just took a second shotgun class from a different school and was the best of the 7 students based on hits and targets. The slugs with this choke were all touching tight so was more than I expected. The 00 buck and 7-1/2 bird shot was average spread. I am even sore from all the day long drills. The only negative of the mossy 500 design is the lack of rounds in the tube.

Nice shooting. Congrats on your class.
You mentioned your Mossy tube not holding enough, aren't you shooting your 20" with 7 in the tube?

Nothing like ringing the bell mat 85 yds on the 1st shot!!! Sounds like an interesting course - got a link?!

The only negative of the mossy 870 design is the lack of rounds in the tube.

Glad to hear everything went well and even some of it better than expected! Means you doing it right! haha
As for your capacity, you have an advantage over the Mossberg 500 with your 870. You can by Mag Tube Extensions that will give you up to 8 or so rounds. If you really want to dump some cash into your rig and have a hole box of ammo at your disposal, check out the X-Rail System. I forget how much it was last time I checked but it was a pretty penny. I also wouldn't consider it AT ALL for a "tactical" Home defense or self defense situation lol

Also, I noticed your title says "Remington 870" but your first post says "Mossy 870 Mariner".. lol Maybe clarify for us what you have exactly :D

Carry On!
Rick

Hey Rick,

It's not his fault, our goofy ADMINs are at it again with the April Fools gags...

Glad to hear everything went well and even some of it better than expected! Means you doing it right! haha
As for your capacity, you have an advantage over the remington 870 with your 870. You can by Mag Tube Extensions that will give you up to 8 or so rounds. If you really want to dump some cash into your rig and have a hole box of ammo at your disposal, check out the X-Rail System. I forget how much it was last time I checked but it was a pretty penny. I also wouldn't consider it AT ALL for a "tactical" Home defense or self defense situation lol

Also, I noticed your title says "Remington 870" but your first post says "Mossy 870 Mariner".. lol Maybe clarify for us what you have exactly :D

Carry On!
Rick

You are 100% correct I was wrong. I meant to say Mossy 500. I do not even own a Rem 870.

I think you are looking for Mossberg 500 or 590 if it is a pump action lol
870 is strictly Remington :p

Rick

Back