• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 and Maverick 88

Hi everyone, I have some doubts. Are Maverick 88 as good as the Mossberg 500? I want to know if Maverick 88 wears out before the Mossberg 500, or are they the same quality? I heard that the reciever and the barrel of the 500 is way more resistant than the one of the 88. Is that true?

How many rounds can a Mossberg 500 take before wearing out?
How many rounds can a Maverick 88 take before wearing out?

I own a Maverick 88, it is my Home Defense Weapon, but I am asking because I´ve heard that the Mav wears out sooner than a 500. I have never shot slugs with it, because I am afraid it will wear out the Barrel or the Receiver.

Don't have a Maverick but have had a 500 since the early '90s. Tons of rounds thru it. No significant wear that I can see. Just have to clean up the chamber from time to time to keep FTE issues from popping up.

I can't directly answer your "quality" question but rest assured, you will have to shoot 1000s of rounds to do any appreciable wear to either gun. :) Clean and lube after shooting and both will last a lifetime (the gun's). ;) 3" shells could cause more wear (AND recoil) so use 2-3/4" shells and you'll be fine.

Continue to go to the range and get familiar with your 88. Don't be afraid of shooting it for training or target purposes.

If you have a cylinder choke or barrel, you can shoot just about anything out of it. Tighter chokes limit what you can shoot out of it, including slugs and steel shot. Search "chokes" here and you will find info on choke sizes.

PS: and read the owner's manual or download one from the Maverick website.

Last edited:
I suspect it's possible to wear out a Maverick, but mine sure hasn't. It showed some signs of wear, in the receiver, during the break in period, but nothing significant since. I clean and lube it and have zero doubts about it's reliability after countless (thousands, now) rounds. You pays your money, you makes your choice. Take care. Tom Worthington

I can't directly answer your "quality" question but rest assured, you will have to shoot 1000s of rounds to do any appreciable wear to either gun. :) Clean and lube after shooting and both will last a lifetime (the gun's). ;) 3" shells could cause more wear (AND recoil) so use 2-3/4" shells and you'll be fine.

Continue to go to the range and get familiar with your 88. Don't be afraid of shooting it for training or target purposes.

If you have a cylinder choke or barrel, you can shoot just about anything out of it. Tighter chokes limit what you can shoot out of it, including slugs and steel shot. Search "chokes" here and you will find info on choke sizes.

PS: and read the owner's manual or download one from the Maverick website.

Can you estimate how many have you shot with it?

Tell me more about the receiver. What happened?

I use 2 3/4, 50gr, 00 Buckshot ammo.

I suspect it's possible to wear out a Maverick, but mine sure hasn't. It showed some signs of wear, in the receiver, during the break in period, but nothing significant since. I clean and lube it and have zero doubts about it's reliability after countless (thousands, now) rounds. You pays your money, you makes your choice. Take care. Tom Worthington

But is it inferior to the Mossberg 500? Like 20k?
Mine hasn't jammed

My fear is to wear it out if I use these 50gr, 00 Buckshot, 2 3/4 ammo, because I have seen that it is very powerful.

My answer is "educated" speculation. ;) I have NOT fired 1000s of shotshells out of ANY shotgun so do not take my word for it but do note the other's experience and observations...

ALL mechanical devices will eventually wear out. Then you repair or buy a new one. So say you can shoot 20,000 shells out a Maverick before it "wears out" :rolleyes: and the Maverick costs $200 new, then to counteract wear, you should put 1 cent aside for every round you fire out of it, and by the time you "wear" it out, you will have saved for a NEW gun! :D

20 thousand rounds? Hmmm. That's a lot of money in ammunition, more than I intend to spend shooting from any one firearm. My trigger finger might fail before I got that far. I have a 500, as well as a Maverick. To me, they seem an awful lot alike. Take care. Tom Worthington

Military test of a shotgun, 3443E is available here for download. http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-S/MIL-S-3443G_4585/ its lengthy, but browse through it, and the endurance part is 3000 consecutive rounds, without breakage rendering the firearm inoperable, and no more than 3 malfunctions. Purportedly the Mossberg 500 is the only production shotgun to pass this test. Not sure how much more endurance you can ask for.

I have put approx 10K rounds through an 870 with no significant wear or parts needing to be replaced. In fact it runs smoother now that it did when i bought it. Granted the majority of this was light shot for clays. 20K rounds is a hell of a lot. More than most will ever put through a gun in a lifetime. I'm willing to bet 10K is more than the average person will shoot in a lifetime.

I do not have that many rounds through any of my Mossbergs, but I cannot imaging them wearing any faster than my 870. If you feed it nothing but slugs, buck, and other heavy loads it may wear out sooner but I think it will still outlast the average shotgunner.

Granted my workhorse is not a 500 but hopefully it will offer some perspective.

I have about 600 rounds through my 88 ,I have a bit of wear in the receiver but nothing significant and like mentioned above it only shot smoother! Have run buckshot, bird and slug though it with no issues! I'd run a walmart pack through it take it home and basic clean I've only done a field strip twice on it!

To reach 20,000 rounds here is a little breakdown.

Shoot 10 rounds every day, 365 per year, for 5 1/2 years and you've reached your goal.

I don't think there's many here who will ever claim that number.
I'm lucky if I got out more than 20 times a year shooting 50 rounds each time, it
would take me 20 years.

I sure wouldn't worry about the quality of an 88 vs. a 500. They're practically the same thing. The major differences that I remember reading about is the 500 receiver is tapped on top so you can put a rail for optics or sights whereas the 88 receiver is not. The 500 also has a tang safety whereas the 88 has a crossbolt safety. Other than that, I don't know what the differences are. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to I say. ;)

Back