• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Persuader 20 gauge

hoosier4d9r

Copper BB
Sorry if my questions are found in other posts...im still a bit new to the forum scene.

Im a bit foreign when it comes to shotguns...ive shot plenty...but never owned one myself. Im more of a handgun kinda guy.

Im thinking about buying my dads Mossberg 500 Persuader from him...but dont much about the gun.

I know it's a 20 gauge. Pistol grip. Im not sure of much more than that tbh...So I have a few questions.

First off, it's never been fired. Not even once. He's asking $150 for it. Good deal?

Secondly, I'm not a huge fan of the idea of a pistol grip shotty personally. I just feel they must sacrifice some accuracy. So...
Would aftermarket buttstocks for any gauge/derivation of the 500 series fit i without extensive modificationt?

Thirdly, Im planning on using it for home defense, but like I said...Ive never owned a shotgun. So that being said, what would be my best bet for a home defense round? I want something that has decent accuracy and stopping power...but a lesser tendency to over-penetrate.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

hoosier4d9r said:
Sorry if my questions are found in other posts...im still a bit new to the forum scene.

Im a bit foreign when it comes to shotguns...ive shot plenty...but never owned one myself. Im more of a handgun kinda guy.

Im thinking about buying my dads Mossberg 500 Persuader from him...but dont much about the gun.

I know it's a 20 gauge. Pistol grip. Im not sure of much more than that tbh...So I have a few questions.

First off, it's never been fired. Not even once. He's asking $150 for it. Good deal?

Secondly, I'm not a huge fan of the idea of a pistol grip shotty personally. I just feel they must sacrifice some accuracy. So...
Would aftermarket buttstocks for any gauge/derivation of the 500 series fit i without extensive modificationt?

Thirdly, Im planning on using it for home defense, but like I said...Ive never owned a shotgun. So that being said, what would be my best bet for a home defense round? I want something that has decent accuracy and stopping power...but a lesser tendency to over-penetrate.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the club from NY.

For $150. never fired it's a great deal. :)

As for the stock,just about any 500 12ga stock will fit with a slight lip where it meets the receiver.

Also plenty of different ammo around for HD.

Welcome from MI!!

I 500 for $150 is a no brainer. I've paid more for guns in much worse shape.

As was stated, most 12G stocks will fit. Just be careful as many of the pistol grip stocks may not fit or need to me modified due to the 20G receiver being slimmer. If there is not enough clearance in the cut away for the bolt release you may run into issues. In most cases it can be resolved with a dremmel but you need to be aware if they is not something you want to deal with.

Back