• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Persuader For Wife What Changes Would You Make?

mcmaverick

Copper BB
I purchased a Moss 500 for the wife. Thinking about going with a shorter stock, one that includes pistol grip and low-recoil. Which stock would you recommend? Also, thinking about adding a light someone recommended UTG Light, your thoughts?

A shorter L.O.P. stock is a great place to start, but I'd stay away from the adjustable pistol gripped "recoil reducing" variety. Pistol gripped stocks have their merits but can present a few challenges, especially for new shooters. Many of our members will attest to the notorious "cheek slap" effect when using stocks with active recoil management designs. These stocks tend to redirect the force of recoil away from the shoulder and into the shooter's face. This can be managed, but it takes more strength, concentration, and technique than a simple shooting stance which will in itself allow a shooter to mitigate recoil with a standard stock. The standard profile stocks are much more conducive to managing recoil than any others. Take a look at Rob Haught's "Push/Pull" video. With this technique employed, even the smallest shooter can comfortably manage the full force of 12 gauge recoil...

There's no better short L.O.P. stock on the market than the Hogue 12" LOP stock and their recoil pad is as plush as they come...

http://www.amazon.com/HOGUE-shotgun-stock-rubber-molded/dp/B001TED2PG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1425763426&sr=8-2&keywords=hogue short stock Mossberg

If you need something adjustable, I'd look into the ATI Akita adjustable stock...

http://www.atigunstocks.com/shotgun...-gauge/stocks/mossberg-akita-adjustable-stock

This stock provides an adjustable length of pull in a standard grip profile...

If she is having a difficult time shouldering the gun and/or shooting it because the stock is too long making the gun muzzle heavy, finding a stock (and/or shorter barrel) that would fit her better would be more beneficial than getting one with a shock absorber because she could hold/use the weapon more efficiently.

Just for example, a 28 inch vent rib turkey barrel is a lot more muzzle heavy than a standard 18.5 inch barrel.

Those 2 things in itself alone would help her manage the gun better because she can put the stock where it needs to be better in the cup of the shoulder. Shooting stance also helps in this area. There are many videos on youtube that covers that if either of you do not know the proper shooting stance when firing a gun. If you stand off balanced or not against the gun (from a lack of better description), you can only expect recoil to do what recoil does without mitigating the effects in other ways.

As Lazy Eyed Sniper has pointed out, there are many who think that the shock absorbing stocks (knoxx) aren't as good as their marketing dept. makes them out to be, but if it works for her, then by all means.

One thing I will add, if she is recoil sensitive, I only have 1 word for you.

LIMBSAVER.

Especially if you need to exchange the stock for a youth stock so it is shorter, do her a favor and add the limbsaver pad while you're at it.

Oh, and I guess I have a few other important words.

LOW RECOIL BLUE HULL HORNADY 00 BUCK for home defense and those cheap low brass skeet shells for practice. You can thank me later. ;)

Another thought, Cut your stock down to fit her LOP and put a slip on LimbSaver on it.;)

cut 2.JPG Is 12 3/4" your wife's LOP?

Don't forget to ADD the butt pad.

I've cut wooden and poly stocks and have 1/2" spacers from the cuts. Let me know if you need any.

I'm not sure if the Hogue 12" is that the overall measurement or is that plus a butt pad?

Also can I ask how you measured her LOP? (just want to make sure you get the right measurement)

I'll tell you that adding a slip-on Limbsaver recoil pad over the factory recoil pad on the Hogue short stock puts the LOP right at 13" and with both pads on there, even full power 00 buck loads hit the shoulder like a bag of marshmallows...

Another thing to remember with the pistol grip stocks is it makes the safety on the Mossbergs a pain in the butt to use. I had a 500 tactical persuader and the safety was the only thing I didn't like it.

Don't go cheap on flashlights. Surefire 6PX defender can be had online for around $70. I still have one of the original 6P's that has never failed me and can handle and kind of recoil you throw at it.

View attachment 7747 Is 12 3/4" your wife's LOP?

Don't forget to ADD the butt pad.

I've cut wooden and poly stocks and have 1/2" spacers from the cuts. Let me know if you need any.

This is so ingenius and great at the same time. This solution to cut down the stock is so simple I would have never thought of it as a solution. This is going to be what I'll be doing if I need to shorten my stock After I shoot my new to me Mossy as is: for the first time this weekend...

Don't go cheap on flashlights. Surefire 6PX defender can be had online for around $70. I still have one of the original 6P's that has never failed me and can handle and kind of recoil you throw at it.

Surefire lights are the way to go. Awesome and reliable. I used many throughout my military career and never a glitch no matter the environment I was in. It will no doubt be the same for home and self defense.

Here are a few of what I owe. I'll get the one off my gun later.

Last edited:
I still have an original Surefire 6P that I used in the Marines as well. Picked it up when they 1st came out with them. Has never failed me yet. They may cost a little more, but you are paying for durability and quality.

Back