• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Photo Gallery

Re: Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch

There are two Thunder Ranch facilities, Texas and Oregon

Hey, I too came across that recently, but thought maybe Mossberg dropped the Black Water name and went with Thunder Ranch as it was less polarizing? Anyhow, saw it soon after reading an article about "Thunder Ranch"... the one in Texas.

Re: Here she be! :D

Update on the sticking issue. Totally NOT ATI's fault. It specifically says in the instructions that you may need to do some trimming on the support tabs if you have any rubbing issues. Well, tonight I was doing some clearing drills in the dark and I was still having sticking issues. When you slide the forend back it was almost like the something was catching and hanging up the motion causing you to have to use a lot of forward force to get the forend back into position. So I slid the forend all the way back as far as I could and took a piece of printer paper and ran it between the barrel and forend. Sure enough the last support tab was so close to the barrel that it wouldn't even let a single piece of regular printer paper slide through. Broke down everything and noticed light scuffing on the barrel where the support tab was rubbing up against the barrel. So I got out a set of side cutters, snipped off the very last support tab on each side (closest to the receiver), then dremeled it flat. Put it all back together and it slides like a hot knife through butter. RTFM FTW! :oops:

On an unrelated note, I remember someone asking about where to start measuring from on the barrel to determine the length of the barrel. If you take the barrel off and look at the shortest side of the collar, you can actually see where the collar is married over the barrel. That is the point you measure from. I don't have very good lighting for my phones camera so I'll have to dig the digital out tomorrow and get some pictures for clarification. If I can find a cheap long barrel (cheaper than a security barrel) I may just take a crack at shortening it myself. If for no other reason than to have the experience doing it. It would be nice to have an 18" barrel though. The 28" and 24" barrels I have are a little unwieldy in a few of the tighter spots in my house as I found out tonight.

I read an article that says it had a MSRP of $460 so I am sure getting it for around $400 is not out of the question.

Thanks Rip...yea, MSRP is usually jacked up $60-100 above real cost.

OMG, another update. So guess how I got woke up today. My 3 year old son bringing me the follower I lost. Apparently he had it in a lunch box he plays with and stashes stuff in. No clue where he found it, but at least I have a spare now. Thinking about DuraCoating it blaze orange or bloomfield red and seeing how well that works as a high visibility follower.

I know, huh? Gotta love him though.

Better quality pictures:
DSCN0255.jpg

DSCN0257.jpg

DSCN0258.jpg

DSCN0259.jpg

Re: My Mossberg 5OO

Nice man. I just bought the exact same thing Yesterday at my local shoot ranges Labor day sale. Can't wait to start taking it apart and getting to know it.

Re: My Mossberg 5OO

moundman said:
Nice man. I just bought the exact same thing Yesterday at my local shoot ranges Labor day sale. Can't wait to start taking it apart and getting to know it.

Sweet! Lookin forward to hearin how it goes and what you think!!!

Coast to Coast "Master Mag"

Just thought I'd share this version of the 500 with you Mossberg enthusiasts.

This was my grandfathers shotgun, From what information I have found on the net it is a 500a edition sold through the local "coats to coast" hardware stores that used to be around here. It doesn't say mossberg anywhere on it. It's stamped Master Mag, coast to coast hardware, and made in USA(my new 500 doesn't ;) ) It is the same as my newer 500, the barrels swap and the internals look the same. This one is quite a bit nicer, with some scroll work, some checkering on the stock and some finer details. Won't eat cheap walmart shells just like my new 500.
I'd be interested if anyone else had any info, dates mfg, etc.
6115255362_08c555b709_b.jpg

6115260346_ea784a7276_b.jpg

6114713139_3865324d58_b.jpg

6115256764_86da64c4fb_b.jpg

Re: Coast to Coast "Master Mag"

Besides the Revelation, didn't Western Auto sell the Coast to Coast label as well?

I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing that marking, but then again, it's been 30 years since I had a Western Auto that sold guns.

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum mtnwkr !!

Thanks for sharing the story and pics...seems like Mossberg makes special runs for those outlets willing to buy in bulk and that want their brand name inscribed.

Unique...!

SHOOTER13 said:
Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum mtnwkr !!

Thanks for sharing the story and pics...seems like Mossberg makes special runs for those outlets willing to buy in bulk and that want their brand name inscribed.

Unique...!
The more I study Mossberg, the more I'm convinced everything they do is a special run with a new part number.

Wow man, Thats really sweet!

Fronty Owner said:
The more I study Mossberg, the more I'm convinced everything they do is a special run with a new part number.

I think you are on to something!

Alright, first of all I want to throw out a huge thanks to AJ at ATI Gun Stocks. Not only did he take time out of his day to help me with my project, but he took the time to put an additional 2" rail on the bottom of one of there forends and snap some pictures for me so I'd know what it would look like. Then to top it off, after deciding 3 additional stock rail sections would work best, he sent them to me for free! All I can say is if you're deciding between the ATI and Blackhawk stocks and customer service is a big deal to you, you wont go wrong with ATI!

Now, here is the picture AJ was nice enough to take for me. This is the accessory rail they sell separate on their website:
tacticalforend3.jpg

As you can see it really doesn't look right on there. Sure it would of worked for me, but I'm picky like that. He then sent me this picture to verify what rail I wanted to go with:
BottomPicatinnyRail.jpg

The left one is what comes with the forend and the right one is an accessory one you can order. I told him that I wanted to stay with the stock one because I was picky about things matching and asked what it would cost to order 3 of them. Next thing I know I get a response asking for my address and they'd send me 3 of them at no charge. How cool! That was Friday morning, I received them today in the mail so they must of express shipped them, again wow. Way above and beyond.

Now the issue with going with the stock rail sections is that there is a little nub on them that fits into a cutout so it sets flush due to a drop where the textured area begins.
2011-09-19143418.jpg

What I had to do here, as you can see, is Dremel that nub off on the other 3 rails. I thought there may be an issue with them not setting flush, but it ended up working just fine. The next issue was I didn't want to butt the rails up together because there wouldn't be a notch between them to lock anything in. Sorry I didn't take a picture of that, but you'll see what I mean in a second. Because I didn't want them butting up with no notch I had to trim them down like so:
2011-09-19143223.jpg

The other reason for doing this was that the rails hung off the back of the forend. The top one goes closest to the receiver, the middle next to it and the bottom between that and the stock rail. As you can see it makes it so when they're end to end there is no double wide notch. It was kind of a pita to do this. I had to use a sanding head on the Dremel and remove a few cm at a time. By the way, if you do something like this with polymer material, wear eye protection. I had to find out the hard way. I'm ok, but damn that small spec of black plastic hurt like hell.

Anyways, after getting the pecies cut the way I wanted I layed them on the stock one by one, marked the screw locations with a sharpie and drilled my holes. AJ was worried at first that the screws might hang up on something when the forend was in use, but because of the time he took to test fit one for me he informed me the screws wouldn't go through all the way. Here's a picture of the holes drilled:
2011-09-19143237.jpg

All in all it took me about 2 hours of my time, but now I have a great bottom rail to mount a Magpul AFG or other accessories to! Here's what it looks like completed:
2011-09-19143031.jpg

2011-09-19143024.jpg

2011-09-19143015.jpg

I couldn't be happier. The thing looks like it was supposed to be that way. Thanks again to AJ at ATI for all his help and I definitely look forward to doing business with them again!

Back