• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: How long of a slide tube to buy?

Had to go with a ProMag tube. Everyone was out of the nut, and the ProMag came with one.

What was that, the standard castle nut?

depends on what forearm your putting on it.

like rossignol said. typically the 7-3/4" long version. the bars are the same length between the two so both will work.

Rossignol said:
What was that, the standard castle nut?
Yep. Midway had the tube but no nut, Brownells same, but now they are out of the tube too.

Wow! How much are the tubes goin for?

Midway $55, Brownells $71. Those are both for a Mossberg OEM. Neither have the nut. Brownells sells but is out of the ProMag, $60. I got the ProMag from Cheaper Than Dirt for $47.50, along with a few other goodies.

Good deal dude, shoppin around always pays off!

Re: whats the diffrence?

also there is a scratch that I made on the trigger guard while cleaning it and underneath was a silver colored metal or something could the turkey thug have an aluminum trigger guard ? because it doesn't feel like or distribute heat like plastic does

Well, dont know... I dont think so, but would have to see it. Anything is possible with OFM...

yea im not sure if it is or not and theres a guy on my shooting team who does gun smithing and he said he could extentd the mag

Got my boxes today. The Promag went on easy, the Mossberg forearm fit perfectly.
Feels like a real shotgun now without that cheesy, floppy plastic forearm.

Airman said:
Got my boxes today. The Promag went on easy, the Mossberg forearm fit perfectly.
Feels like a real shotgun now without that cheesy, floppy plastic forearm.
congratulation... good to hear you like your shotgun agin...

Lube question from newbie

Hello, I have watched a few of the disassebly and reassembly videos for the Mossberg 500 and was wondering if any of the parts should be lubricated when putting them back together. During the few videos I have seen as well as detailed pictures, I have not seen anyone apply any oil or gun grease to any of the components when they were reassembled. Should any of these components be lubricated or will lubricating them only attract more dirt? If so, should gun oil or gun grease be used? I am picking up my NIB Mossberg 500 field/security combo today and want to do a good cleaning before firing it for the first time. Any advice for a newbie is appreciated. Thank you. Frank.

Re: Lube question from newbie

Oil - after cleaning - would be the bolt and action bars. a couple drops spread out and excess wiped up should do the trick.

As for cleaning, plenty of youtube videos and references in the forums here already. If you have specific questions, be happy to help.

Thank you Ripsnortr for the advice. I'm assumming that Hoppe's gun oil is sufficient?

I agree with Ripsnortr!

I too use Hoppes cleaner and oil. Just as he said, I oil everything and then wipe it down! ;)

Thanks. I was also thinking of using a product called Eezox. It is supposed to be a really good rust prohibitor as well as a cleaner and lubricator. It bonds with the metal to not allow moisture to penetrate, thus eliminating the potential for rust. I used it on my Beretta 9 mm so I'm assumming it should be fine to use on a shotgun. Has anyone else used this product on their Mossberg's? Just curious to see if there is anything I should know before I use it. Thanks!

Eezox STINKS!
At least I hate the smell!

I use CLP as my liquid lube.
Liquid should be used on all moving parts like triggers, firing pins and safeties.

I do use grease on all metal pieces that make contact and slide along each other.

This basic info on gun lubrication has served me well on all of the firearms that I own from handguns to shotguns.

Good luck with your new 500......My favorite model Mossberg! :D

Back