• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

The situation you're describing is definitely not normal.

When cocked and ready to fire, pulling the trigger should disengage the lock up. There is likely something out of spec with your trigger group. Have you removed the trugger assembly to see if there is anything out of place? It may just be a spring that needs to be replaced versus replacing the entire group...

Re: I need a red dot for my 500 safety

HA HA LOL

Not cleaning my guns with Crest yet though.

But sometimes I do use an old tooth brush to scrub some of the heard to reach places no joke.

Yup, I use a toothbrush on all my guns. Works like a charm, especially on cleaning residue from the outer surface without damaging the finish.

... I just gotta always be sure to rinse it out thoroughly afterward so my wife doesn't taste the Hoppes... :lol:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, back up the bus.........I'm supposed to be cleaning these things??

Whoa, whoa, whoa, back up the bus.........You guys still have your teeth??

Cleaning guns is over rated.

Perhaps we need a new thread on this. LOL

Seems like a good idea to me.

I guess the Firearm Maintenance & Mod sub-forum would be appropriate if you wanna start it up...

yeah I pull the trigger group out last night... the action release lever doesn't disengage at firing... but the action release lever closes just fine... meaning I can push the lever and it returns when I let go so I wouldn't think that spring is "broke"

Definitely want to get this taken care of sooner rather than later if possible.

You two have caused me to laugh so hard that my sides hurt and I can hardly catch my breath.

Sorry John,

I remembered I was at work and should probably do something. You catch your breath yet? :D

Yes, finally, but you two are a riot.

That was sig line worthy.

I have a 500a that won't extract about every other shell. I have to manually remove the shell from the barrel. Has anyone else had this problem, if so, how did you resolve it?

Can I shoot Flares

Hey all!

Awesome board, I have really enjoyed reading it for the past week, and can't wait to be involved with it.

So here's my first post to get me started...

I have a 500 Persuader, Model 50411. Stock everything except for a sweet rail on the front with a pistol Ka-Bar (Pic to follow). I am building this gun up to be a survival shotty, with everything you need to grab-and-dash out the door.

A Key component to this is having the ability to signal, with flares. I have heard horror stories about shooting flares out of 12-Gauge shotguns with chokes. This is not something I plan on doing all the time (in fact maybe never because this is for extreme emergency only), but I want to be sure this model is capable of doing it.

I have a Cylinder bore with no rifling, and I just want to be sure there isn't some sort of built in choke I'm not thinking about. Excuse my ignorance, but this is my first shotgun, so I am new to them and chokes.

Thanks in advance!
mossberg500_KaBar1024JPG.jpg

P.S. I posted this in accessories, but I think that may have been the wrong place, sorry for the double post!

Re: Can I shoot Flares

Not sure what kind of flares you got...can you tell us the brand name / manufacturer

I see 12-ga flares sold all the time at Wal-Mart in the boating section or sometimes inside the glass case at Sporting Goods. Maybe they will let you read the package instructions/cautions...

Never heard of horror stories.

Unless the box say's otherwise I can't imagine that you would have a problem with a cylinder bore.

Just my personal thoughts and not to be taken as any type of recommendation: I think if it came down to it in a dire scenario where a flare was required I think I would do what ever I needed to do. ;)

Back