• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Chokes

I would suggest a 28 inch barrel for sporting clays. A modified choke is a good middle ground and could be adapted to a variety of applications.

DHonovich said:
Which barrel do you have on your Mossberg 500? Most will use a 28" vented ribbed barrel with a variety of chokes depending on what sport you are shooting.
Right now it's the original 18" barrel.

rjpoog1989 said:
I would suggest a 28 inch barrel for sporting clays. A modified choke is a good middle ground and could be adapted to a variety of applications.

Agreed but other variables often come into play. Chokes are a little art and science - the gun, what you shoot (brands vary - 71/2 or 8??), the course, conditions of the day...

Choke has never been as much of a concern for me as barrel length. having more weigh out front just makes the gun swing better for this type of shooting. You want the gun to swing smothly. I tried shooting with a short barrel once but it felt too jerky and harder to follow the target.

Most of my shooting has been with a 26 inch barrel and a skeet choke. I've shot with a full choke before, you just have to be a tad bit more precise in your lead.

The choke helps fine tune things but getting the proper swing and lead is more important and that can only come from practice.

Besides most of the fun, for me anyway, comes from the experimentation. :)

thanks all!
it's just occasional shooting for fun
yeah for this purpose I don't have to worry much about it
I'll just get a 28" w/mod choke
u more than answered my question.

feeding problems

Looks like the elevator is not lifting shells high enough sometimes. Any ideas besides bending elevator? Yes gun is clean

Re: feeding problems

Hard to tell without seeing it work or not work. Need to find out why it is sometimes, usually mechanical problems are pretty consistent so it is weird that it is intermittent because it’s a simple mechanism.

pull the elevator out and see if your getting some wear on the lips at the back of the gun where the slide plate contacts it.
is the shell not getting kicked up high enough to start or is the bolt missing the rim?

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum mspan90 !!

Let us know if any of these suggestions helped...a picture may help us trouble-shoot the problem !

The shell is not getting kicked up high enough. Does not happen very often with 3" shells. happens alot with 2 3/4"

is the gun completely stock?
I ask because I recently put a modified Knoxx forearm on my Maverick with the 6-3/4" tube. Since the forearm was back about an inch further than intended, the forearm was binding on my barrel making it hard to cycle fully.
does the elevator lay flat against the bolt plate when closed?

I pulled the elevator out put it in a vise and gave it a few taps with a hammer, works like a champ.

Newbie question re: storage position for action

Hi folks,

Been practicing cycling the action on my new 500 8-shot with a couple of snap caps. I was wondering - what is the preferred way to leave the action when done shooting - forward (muzzle end) or rearward? I notice that I have a habit of always pushing the forend back forward after ejecting the last shell. But this leaves the action cocked/ready to fire, so some spring etc. must be under stress at this stage. When I am done shooting (i.e. the last shell is ejected and the gun is now empty, ready to be put away) should I leave the forend in the rear (open) position so no springs, etc. are under tension?

Thanks!
OB

Re: Newbie question re: storage position for action

OB, you can leave it that way or you can dry fire on the empty chamber so the hammer is down. If you keep the mag tube loaded the gun will be in what is known as cruiser ready, that way you can cycle the action without pressing the action release button and load a round in the chamber a little more efficiently, I keep mine cruiser ready. The springs in the weapon will not be harmed however you decide to do it

Sweet! Thanks oli700! I thought it was a no-no to dry fire so that's why I was trying to figure it out. I like the dry-fire after the last eject - prolly what's going to be needed since I seem to have a need to push that forend back forward.. :)

+1 on what Oli said...

I say do what makes you comfortable. If you have the snap caps use em. You can even keep it cruiser ready with a snap cap in the chamber because you have to cycle the action either way and you would just simply eject the snap cap on the first stroke. I see no down fall to this unless someone has something else on that.

Basically all modern fire arms can be dry fired with no damage done. It is widely believed that rim fire guns shouldn’t be dry fired …I practice this as much as I can however I have never seen one broken from dry firing personally and over the years I have done my 10-22 countless times. Everything has potential to break so if it makes you feel better snap caps are worth the peace of mind and it makes since to train with them while your dry firing….and above all have fun

drop the hammer on one of your snap caps.

My shotgun is a field gun so it stays in the case, hammer down.
My AR stays cruiser ready
My XD stays on my side, locked and loaded.

Questions about the HD Mossberg 500

Just got a Mossberg 500 for home defense and critter control, already installed a 120 lumen white light/laser combo, tri-rail forearm, heat shield, 6 position extendable stock, one point sling, Aimpoint red dot scope and a 5 position vertical forearm grip. Also has extended mag tube.
Got pretty much everything I want, but was thinking of adding a door breacher and want to know if slugs can still be fired with it on?
Also was looking at the Centurion 2 inch shells and was wondering if anyone has used them and if the shotgun has to be modified? Guess I am ready for the zombie invasion....

Back