• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Roadblocker Forend Replacement

R1HOOLIGAN

Copper BB
I'm confused watching countless videos about this subject. I want to install a Tac Star forend grip. The instructions say to remove half the innards to do this, but I just watched a video where the guy removed the barrel only, then removed the nut holding on the OEM forend, just slipped the forend off (with a little "tapping"), and then just slid on the new forend and replaced the nut. Took all of about 3 minutes. What's the "true deal"? Can I just skip all the disassembly (except the barrel) to install the new forend?

I certainly appreciate any input. I'm old and get confused :? , so the easier, the better.

Thanks,

Larry

When I replaced my forend with a Hogue (sooooo much better) I disassembled it. How did they remove the nut without taking off the forend tube? Mine was on there pretty good.

I'd just as soon as disassemble anyway. Get familiar with it if it ever breaks down, and for when you need to clean it.
Lots of good disassembly/reassembly videos on YouTube.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Like servo, I prefer to just take the gun down and take the whole assembly off. The 500 is pretty easy to take apart once you do it a couple times. Plus, I find it fun messing with the 500's innards. :mrgreen: With that said, the guy in the video you saw was probably using ATI's forend nut wrench. Their wrench lets you take the nut off without taking the gun apart.

Here is a link to their wrench if you want to go that route.

http://www.atigunstocks.com/mossberg-ac ... rench.html

Thanks for the replies. I agree that a full tear-down is a good way to go. My problem at this time is that the gun is clean and I didn't want to break it apart right now. I suffer from Multiple Sclerosis and am going through a relapse period and my hands shake like a prostitute in church and I have the memory and attention span of a gnat! :lol: Dealing with small parts is a PIA. And servo, the guy used a pair of slip joint pliers and a cloth(to protect the nut). Maybe I'll just "sit on it" a few days until my shaking stops (hopefully!).

Thanks again.

With the correct pliers the job does only take a couple of minutes as the video you saw points out.
Since I do not have those pliers in my collection, I always do the full take down.
If you can get the right pliers then I would not wait.
If you have patients ( I Dont ) then waiting would be best.
Hopefully the relapse will not last long.

An angled needle nose plier work really well for reaching down around the magazine tube and removing the forend nut.

I have a pair like these that work well:

Just make sure they will open enough to fit around the tube without scratching it.ʐ

Attachments

• NeedleNosePliers.jpg
    NeedleNosePliers.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 64
LTB45 said:
With the correct pliers the job does only take a couple of minutes as the video you saw points out.
Since I do not have those pliers in my collection, I always do the full take down.
If you can get the right pliers then I would not wait.
If you have patients ( I Dont ) then waiting would be best.
Hopefully the relapse will not last long.

Well, I took some Channel Lock pliers and got it done. And thanks, this is luckily a "mild" relapse....I usually go blind for about an hour...it sucks, but it ain't cancer, thank God!

Back