• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 short stroked VIDEO

krazykeny

Copper BB
Mossberg 500 short stroked repeatedly
How NOT to shoot a pump shotgun

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSGUR8udleQ[/youtube]

While thankfully I havent short stroked in a long long time, I have had students who do it often (not as often in the video).
I am wondering and perhaps more observing that everytime he SS it is with a double feed. I observed that his back stroke should have been more that enough to eject the fired shell. I could not tell if each time the fired shell was left in the chamber or if a new shel was chamberd but the gun "Double fed" the voice in the video says "double feed" after each incident. In both cases, empty in the chamber and feeding OR loaded round in the chamber still double feeding, I am inclined to think there is a mechanical problem as well as poor tecnique.
In my experience a "short stroke" leaves the chamber empty and no shell on the lifter (late presentation) or a fired rnd in the chamber and no shell called for (shell latch not released thus no shell called for) .
In other words,
If the empty is still in the chamber and the action was in fact worked far enough to permit a new shell to be on top of the lifter, that indicates a failure to extract and most likly cause by a weak extractor AND not pumping with enough force.
If a loaded shell is in the chamber and double feeds, then the action was moved far enough back to permit ejection (not short stroked)but a another shell followed the first one in . that seems to be a shell latch problem.

Opinions?

ETA: the fired shell does in fact eject each shot or (SS) and double feeds the next round both rounds above the elevator. Also "SS" occurs with two different shooters, plus the jamming at the end of the video suggest a stuck double feed shell one above the elevator and one below. I think the gun has a bad shell latch.

Looks like operator error.
Consistently after 2 or 3 shots.
He might be controlling recoil with his left hand too much and causing him to tighten up (done that!)

Oh my gosh..... That was painful to watch, I've never SS'd that many times in one sitting, and I'm a chick! Lol. I wonder how much crap he got from YouTube watchers. I can't say much on the technical side, but to me it seems like he's so worried about being a badass that he can't properly use his shotty.

WOW, There is all sorts of fail there...
First the flat biller who cant work the action.
Second the condition of the area, I'm sad to say I think this is where I go shooting from time to time, However, I pick up my crap afterwords, Yes even the .22lr brass.

Here is the best advice I can give someone shooting a shotgun.

Don't be a wuss.

Pump it like you mean it.

You're not going to break it.

Double feed? I suspect there is a problem with the cartridge interrupter allowing more than one shell trying to load. Can't be missing because it worked for a couple of shots. When I traded for my 835 both the cartridge stop and interrupter were missing. I didn't know better at the time and only ordered the stop. Had similar problems but discovered what the problem was with only 2 tries. Wasn't till I got the interrupter when I found you guys here at MO. Probably just dirty.

Back