• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 vs Maverick

They are practically identical. Any particular reason you are considering the trade?

I would keep it myself. Both can share all accessories.

The safety on the 500 is on the top rear of the receiver, and on the Maverick it's on the trigger guard.
The Maverick only comes with a black plastic stock and forearm, the 500 comes with either plastic or wood furniture. When purchased new the Maverick field model comes with only one choke (modified), the 500 comes with three (improved cylinder, modified, and full).
What gauge do you have? What do you plan to do with the gun? Are you looking to change out the barrel, stock and forearm? The answers to those questions can affect what the best course of action might be.

If you have the high cap model then you can swap the magazine tube and buy another barrel for less than the price of a new gun.

A 500A magazine tube will fit the Mav 88 12G receiver and allow the use of std barrels

That's right, with guns of equal magazine tube length and gauge the barrels are interchangeable between the two guns, even if the barrels are not the same length. I have two barrels, 28" and 18.5", and I can put either barrel on either gun since they're both 12 gauge with five shell magazine tubes. The stocks and forearms are interchangeable as well.
If you buy a new 500 or a new Maverick with a short barrel it will not have a choke, just a cylinder bore barrel. The longer barrel 500 will come with three chokes, the longer barrel Maverick comes with only one (but you can still put different chokes on it).
Are you looking for a new 500 or a used one? Do you plan to go hunting or clay pigeon/target shooting? Or will it be just for home defense?

Then you'll need two barrels, the 28 inch with an interchangeable choke system and an 18.5 inch with no choke. You can buy extra barrels.
If you plan to ever swap the forearm then I suggest a 500 with a wood stock and forearm since the forearm can be swapped by just undoing the retaining nut; the plastic forends cannot be swapped since they are riveted directly to the action bars. This is how the 12 gauge is anyway. The 20 gauge is different; with those the forearms are held on with a nut and are therefore able to be swapped.

Mines a 12 ..any benifits threading for chokes on a cylinder bore..its a 20 inch..figure time buys parts to convert buy another gun

All the way

Mines a 12 ..any benifits threading for chokes on a cylinder bore..its a 20 inch..figure time buys parts to convert buy another gun

All the way
All depends on your goals. It will help with patterning buckshot, turkey loads and any shot in general and allow longer range shots on game if you plan to hunt with it.

For HD having the ability to tune you patterns may be usefull depending on the types of shots you may need to take based on your situation. They also make breacher style tubes if that is your thing.

Personally I see no down side unless you know the cyl bore meets all of your needs.

The benefit threading for chokes would be a good birdshot pattern at 30-35yards, the cylinder fixed choke likely won't do that. I am playing around with the do it all shotgun concept myself right now. I have a 835 reciever with a 5 shot 500 mag tube screwed in and a 24" smoothbore ported slug barrel with rifle sights. I am considering getting this barrel threaded for choke tubes......Mike

To be honest, it depends. If I was going to put a pistol grip stock on a shotgun, I'd most likely stick with the maverick.

Some folks are of the mindset that the top tang safety on a Mossberg isn't an inconvenience, because if the shotgun is loaded, its "go time", and opening the action will prevent the gun from firing.

Myself, if I was planning on a pistol grip buttstock, I'd want a shotgun with the safety in an accessible spot. Like the trigger guard. Top folding, side folding, collapsible. Doesn't matter. You can get to the safety.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just recently got a 500..sold my 88...know they about the same gun..but seems like the 500 is better made and smoother than the 88...had more fuff and buff...and tighter

All the way

Back