• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

First, thank you for your service. Watch your six. It's people like you who keep us free.

Nice changes on your Shockwave. The laser engraving is very interesting. I can see Rico engraving his avatar on his "Stogie". Do you recall what the cost of the engraving was? Again, take care and thank you.

I believe that I paid around $45 to have the US Flag laser engraved on my Mossberg Shockwave; I had it engraved at Infinite Lasers in Destin, Florida.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

just....cuz.

36789451371_6522739221_b.jpg

The October, 2017, issue of the American Rifleman has a nice review of the Shockwave on page 96. The review recommends NOT firing 3" magnum loads in the Shockwave. The review ends by saying the Shockwave is not for everyone (just us) but is a top choice for defensive-minded individuals.

I have not read the review, so I will ask to be given some leniency for my response, but my response is sincere.....

If the "reviewer" thinks the Shockwave is only for "defensive-minded individuals", then he doesn't know what "fun-minded individuals" enjoy.
I suggest he get off his high horse and go have some fun...some of our members enjoy 3", like "forrestinmathews"
I disagree with anyone who tries to show "judgmental opinion" on any weapon, as to the purpose, intent, function, limitations, or restrictions, including the Shockwave. If this goes uncorrected, the next thing you see, will be people judging "us" as some radical gun nut. The Shockwave is just another gun....period. Do Not Allow Anyone to tell you what the Shockwave "is". It "is" what you want it to be....just like any other weapon, gun, pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc.
I respect American Rifleman Magazine. I even have a subscription, which I have not yet received. Perhaps the author of this article should re-think his opinion, or his logic. Gun owners, and manufactures, are constantly pushing the envelope on powder charges, velocity and bullet weight. If Mossberg rates the Shockwave for 3" then I will trust their opinion over others. I think every gun owner, and every gun, should be pushed to the limit of perfection in ability and function....all the while having fun in our sport.

If this goes uncorrected, the next thing you see, will be people judging "us" as some radical gun nut

30 years too late bro.

Rico, Nicely said. The Shockwave is what it is. That is anything to anybody. It is both a very useful defense weapon as well as some kinda fun to shoot. While the Shockwave is rated for the 3" magnum, I am not. While others can effectively use that shell, it's not for me. The Shockwave is unique in weapons and has found a very loyal group of followers. Mossberg did us all a huge favor with this.

I've noticed that the newer wood foregrips have a shallower groove than the older wood foregrips. The newer grips appear to have less "gripability" than the older grips. See posts #49 and #53 of the thread "590 shockwave wood furniture" That got me thinking. I might try stippling the outer (top) edge of the ridges of the current polymer foregrip for the Shockwave to increase the "gripability" of the foregrip. If the stippling makes the grip too rough I can always lightly sand the ridges to reduce the roughness.

Your thoughts on this?

I've noticed that the newer wood foregrips have a shallower groove than the older wood foregrips. The newer grips appear to have less "gripability" than the older grips. See posts #49 and #53 of the thread "590 shockwave wood furniture" That got me thinking. I might try stippling the outer (top) edge of the ridges of the current polymer foregrip for the Shockwave to increase the "gripability" of the foregrip. If the stippling makes the grip too rough I can always lightly sand the ridges to reduce the roughness.

Your thoughts on this?

I noticed that, too. It kinda bugged me the more work I did on the wood. So I dremmeled the grooves until they were uniform in depth and width. It was tedious. Lots of slight changes, then testing. Once you grind/sand material off, it's gone for good. I had a good opportunity, since I had already sanded off the original finish.

I just so happen to have 2 stock shockwave polymer forends that are collecting dust. Stipple or mod with gusto. If you end up hating the result, I'll send you one of mine. I ain't using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed that, too. It kinda bugged me the more work I did on the wood. So I dremmeled the grooves until they were uniform in depth and width. It was tedious. Lots of slight changes, then testing. Once you grind/sand material off, it's gone for good. I had a good opportunity, since I had already sanded off the original finish.

I just so happen to have 2 stock shockwave polymer forends that are collecting dust. Stipple or mod with gusto. If you end up hating the result, I'll send you one of mine. I ain't using it.

Thank you, DP. That's very generous of you.

WOW. A modified Magpul forearm, made to fit the Shockwave.
Free shipping, with installation wrench included!
GG&G are taking the Mossberg Shockwave seriously.
They have a link to Mossberg Shockwave Accessories.
Thank you GG&G. You are leaders in a crowded field.

I have one question: Will this allow a heat shield?

I hope forum members will post pictures and reviews of this great product.

Last edited:
In post #124 in the "Mossberg 590 Pump Action Heat Shields" thread, TerryH said he had to beat his heat shield with a dead blow hammer to get it to clear the Magpul forearm. It's possible that the forearm may have to be modified by cutting relief grooves along the upper inside edge of the Mossberg forearm to clear the heat shield. We'll know after some are received and mounted.

I got my issue of American Rifleman today. The article on the Shockwave is one of the most boring gun reviews I have ever read.
I believe the author was intimidated by our little buddy.

I got my issue of American Rifleman today. The article on the Shockwave is one of the most boring gun reviews I have ever read.
I believe the author was intimidated by our little buddy.

Hey Rico, I thought you especially might like this. Probably brings back a few memories:

Just so happens the M60 spare barrel bag is a perfect fit for a Shockwave.

I have one for my AK underfolder and had reason to dig it out of the closet for the first time in a long time today. Figured I'd test fit the Shockwave while it was handy.

These surplus M60 bags are great because they're heat resistant and dirt cheap. If you paid $20 for one, you paid too much.

Only drawback is that they're rubberized and do retain moisture. So items left inside for long periods of time will rust if you live in a humid climate.

The M60 bag could be a great option for a truck gun or grab-n-go for those that are looking for something to fill those roles. It'll never be a quick-draw, but it is slingable and packable and has 2 zipper pockets for whatever else you want.

I keep an 8oz bag of "Drie-rite" desiccant in the main pouch to keep condensation from forming. Definitely wouldn't recommend for long-term or cold storage.

Cheers.

e2b3689c89631c77c3409e000bc3cdb6.jpg
a448461bb0de574642c15ff35e43177b.jpg

0d822cd3a15cb85e3092978f2af4eab0.jpg

Last edited:
That bag would be very good for transport of the Shockwave during inclement weather, and yours looks like new. I never spent any official time with the M60. I have fired one and smile whenever I think about it. While in ‘Nam I went to the perimeter at night, our flares floating down from the sky, and watched the Army guys give the M60 a workout over the rice paddies. I don’t know why anyone would think of charging at a M60. I was Air Force, and the Army was protecting my ass while I worked on aircraft. God Bless the Army. If I can find one of these bags in good shape, I just might buy it. Thanks.

Back