• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590 Shock Wave

Pegleg-

I wonder if all the LaserLyte Center Mass lasers are the same way or do you think your laser could be defective? Also, welcome to the Mossberg Forum.

Best regards.

Just picked up my 20 gauge. Took it to range yesterday to do some pattern tests of a few different ammos. Only did some 7 yard stuff.
Quite easy to shoot from low along side hip and from up and extended position. Interested in doing some longer range stuff, 25-50 yards.
New to shotgunning though so first task will be educating myself on the miriad of ammo available. Need to select dependable home defense ammo and something that works for longer distances. So, the search begins.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I received my UTG Bull Dot Laser.
First, be sure to use the tool to tighten the mount. If you do it hand tight the laser can slide forward and rearward.
It is much brighter than the smaller TruGlo, but the Bull Dot is much bigger in size. I don’t care for the bulky size, but if you want to see the laser dot in the daytime, I reckon the larger size is the trade-off.
The dot is amazing in dim lit areas, and at night it is easily visible well over 100 yards. In the daylight, outside, it is easily seen at 10 yards, after which I had a hard time finding it. The size of the laser dot is a real advantage when acquiring the dot and following it’s movement. It is very well made and UTG is to be complimented on this laser. The picture of the dot is at 10 yards inside, during daylight hours.
If I were able to build my own, it would be completely different, however, I intend to keep the Bull Dot, and feel that I will be satisfied with it until the industry offers something more to my liking.
If you don’t object to the size of this laser, then I highly recommend it.
Thanks to Amigo for turning me on to the Bull Dot.
(excuse the bits of decal remaining on the laser.....I'm cleaning Stogie today since the weather is wet and cold and nothing to do)
Stogie Bull Dot 1resize.JPG
Stogie Bull Dot 2 resize.JPG
Stogie Bull Dot 3-crop.JPG

I received my UTG Bull Dot Laser.
In the daylight, outside, it is easily seen at 10 yards, after which I had a hard time finding it.
Thanks Rico!

So far I like everything about it except the size (which I can live with) and the range mentioned above. That's kind of a deal breaker since I will most likely be practicing outside in full sunlight, and if I can't find the dot then I'm not going to have a good time.

Can you try to get a picture of the dot in full sunlight outside at those same 20 yards (30 feet)?

Today is overcast, windy, wet and 42*. I declare this day as "pansy day"....meaning my pansy ass ain't going out too much, but I will do my best....maybe this summer.....just kidding. My thin blood, and skinny ass don't take to well to temps below 60*. Mainsail, I am curious to see the same results, and I will get to it ASAP. In the meantime, if you find other lasers you like, please let me know. What I want is not legal on a gun....that is a long slender tube, mounted on two mounts (like a scope, but very small) with at least three times the laser output power. I know where to buy the laser pointers, and I could go to a local machine shop to make the mounts, but I can't figure out how to adjust elevation/windage. I doubt you or I will be happy with the full sunlight test, but it will be fun. I shot at a beer can today from the hip...six shots, using the factory settings on the laser. I'm rolling and tossing the can, but not shredding it, with 00Buck. I need to sight it in, but again the weather is preventing this today.

Thanks Rico!

So far I like everything about it except the size (which I can live with) and the range mentioned above. That's kind of a deal breaker since I will most likely be practicing outside in full sunlight, and if I can't find the dot then I'm not going to have a good time.

Can you try to get a picture of the dot in full sunlight outside at those same 20 yards (30 feet)?

Today is a sunny day. The dot is only visible to about 5 yards in bright conditions with the target in bright light.
When aiming into a shaded area the sight is visible to 25 yards.

60 degrees? It was 14 when I left for work. Probably won't see 60 again until April. Lol.

I've got a green laser on the way as well. I did such a good job of breaking this company's red laser, they asked me to try out the green one. Haven't done much with the Shockwave lately, as those two CZ pistols followed me home, and then I picked up a Savage .22 for the wife (she was eyeing mine, so I had to make my move!).

Mainsail, look at this sight and see if you can come up with a way to mount and adjust a powerful laser pointer.
Ignore their laser for a gun. Gun mounted lasers are restricted in their power. You and I are looking for one that has more output, and I think it will have to be done without the help of the aftermarket.

http://www.laserpointerpro.com/

Rico, I wonder if the laser pointers will stand up to the recoil of the Shockwave? The weapon mounted lasers are (supposedly) made to handle the strong recoil impulse. The highest power weapon light listed is 250mW which is a lot more powerful than the 5mW standard lasers. Not like the 5,000mW but still bright and they are adjustable.

I sent the company an email asking about the brightness of their gun mount lasers in bright sunlight.

Rico, I just sent them an email asking if the two 250mW green gun lasers will withstand repeated firing of 12ga shotgun shells - up to 100 rounds at a time.

Just received an email from LaserPointerPro. Here is the text:

Thanks for your letter.

Sorry to tell you that we don't have this kind of products that you want at present.

It's a pity that we fail to help you on the matter.

Here is new sales promotion:http://www.laserpointerpro.com/promotion/171211greenmondaypromotion.html
Have a lovely day.
Best regards
Sylvia
LaserPointerPro.Service Team

I bolded the line that is important. The weapon mounted lasers will NOT withstand a 12ga shotgun recoil. So, they are out.

More power seems like a good idea, however I want to find a balance. Strong enough to see in daylight for practicing, but not so bright that I damage my eyesight if I'm sweeping inside in an emergency, and inadvertently shine the laser on a mirror or some other reflective surface. Even while walking the house with the laser on has the potential to cause eye damage if the laser hits something reflective.

My M1009 has two 25v 450 watt aircraft landing lights on the front- they'll put the streetlights out as I drive down the street. But it's unbearable if there's several reflective road signs close together.

Those laser pointers are cool, but there are other things to consider before trying to strap one to our guns.

I got a reply from LaserPointerPro, and all they did was send me a link to their website. Duh!!

I emailed BeamQ about their weapon laser. I asked:

"Will your 200mW rifle green laser withstand repeated firing of 12 gauge
shells (up to 100 rounds per session)?"

I received an answer this morning:

"Yes. please let me know if you have other questions."

BeamQ says their 200mW weapon laser WILL withstand 12ga recoil. It costs $129 with a $25 shipping fee.

Back