• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

mossberg 590

ramon321

Copper BB
I recently purchased a Mossberg 590 and was wondering if it was okay to shoot some Winchester Super Target 7 1/2 through it at a indoor range. It will be the first time the gun is fired. The range doesnt allow buck shot. So is it okay to practice with target load?

Congratulations on your new Mossberg 590. The target load should be fine through your Mossberg 590 but if you can I would just call up and confirm that 7 1/2 is ok. I know at my local ranges that would be allowed.

I use 7 1/2 in my 590A1 from time to time, its absolutely ok to fire through the 590.

I hope I answered your question correctly! :) If not, then what Dan said! lol, yeah just call ahead, but at my nearest ranges here, one allows anything but steel, another has a special permit area for buck and slugs and doesnt allow anything larger than #6 shot at the birdshot side of the range. Go figure. However, If I go to "my" range, I shoot anything I want.

One of the bennies of pumps is that they will cycle with any load because you do the work. they are not picky like most semiautos.

Standard advice for breaking in a new pump is buy the cheapest name brand bird shot you can find, at least 100 rounds, and have at it. The gun will be a little stiff because it is new and the shooter needs to get used to the functions and develop the skill to cycle the action reliably and smoothly. More bang and more kick is not necessary at this stage.

If your range is picky (I`m used to NW AZ and private farms where there are no limits) call them first. They may even sell their pet brand.

Have fun with your new weapon. Read the instructions and clean it first. Mossbergs are reliable, but it seems sometimes the factory rust prevention grease is worse than regular grease and crud.

bubba in c.a. said:
Read the instructions and clean it first. Mossbergs are reliable, but it seems sometimes the factory rust prevention grease is worse than regular grease and crud.

I agree, Mossbergs tend to be covered in cosmoline! If youre able, break it down completely to get all that stuff off!

I haver the 500 tactical cruiser which uses a heavy walled barrel and shares some of the same components as your 590 but mainly in the mag tube. I broke its virinity with 2 3/4 in 00 buck from winchester and since have fired plenty of target load 8 and 9 through it, along with slugs, magnum buckshot and some sweet PDX Winchester rounds (a combo slug/buckshot HD round) and it has handled everything with zero issue. Ive put around 150 rounds through it of all sorts of 12ga ammunition to test out the huge selection of stuff you can shoot so break her in and then have at it.

My close by indoor ranges only allow 00 Buck! Gotta assume it's for "toxic" lead cleanup ease.

Back