• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590a1 51517 or 51663

DTL

Im looking to pick up a 590a1 with factory ghost ring sights just cant decide between a 18.5 and add a vang comp + 1 extension (which I have on my current bead 18.5 sight) or go with the 20 inch barrel. I like the capacity of the 20 inch but often feel like the 18.5 points a little quicker when shouldering it. I currently have a 18.5 with bead sight but havent had much experience handling a 20 inch. I wonder if the 20 inch will be noticably heavier when loaded. I also have an s&j + 2 mag extension lying around that I stopped using because I didnt like that I had to trim the spring so much. I could put it on the 51517 18.5 with GRS but id have to come up with another spring option. This gun will be used for HD but could possibly (in a natural disaster, SHTF situation) be pressed into the role of a duty gun and be riding around in the trunk of my work car. What do you guys think 18.5 or 20?

I've had 3 20" guns.
Noticeably heavier? Maybe.

If you add an extension the difference will be ounces.

What's cost effective for you? What looks best to you? Wolf springs are easy to come by if you need another.

If you want capacity out of the box, get the 20". If you want a little lighter and a little faster get the 18.5".

Personally I like a heavier gun with the capacity. But here's another thought. The 590 18.5" offers more flexibility. Should you want another barrel, a longer field barrel or one that's threaded for chokes, or even a rifled barrel, the shorter magazine allows for this where the other does not.

My current project is an 835 20" barrel but with the 5 round magazine. Biggest con is that the 835 barrel can't be used with slugs.

I know I haven't directly answered your question, but there are so many facets and my preferences aren't someone else's. so the next guy may say something way different.

There's no right or wrong here, just ready to go, flexibility, or project. And what looks and feels right to you.

I vote 20". I owned three 18.5" shotties (2 Mossbergs 500 and 1 Winchester 1300) in the past and loved their balance. 5-6 shots of 12 gauge is nothing to sneeze at either. But I'm not clearing houses and the two pumps I just bought are doing home defense and car duty, and may be called upon in case of a SHTF scenario. There's plenty on the horizon in SoCal, between natural disasters, racial tensions and what's in store with the economy. So I decided that the ability to load more rounds, especially long magnum ones, was worth the slight loss in handiness. It's really not so bad, by the way, and for tight quarters I have pistols.
My car gun ended up getting a pistol grip to be short enough for my trunk and so barrel length and weight have become irrelevant on that one. As for the home defender, I'm still working on shortening the LOP to make it more maneuverable. But 7 or 8+1 is very reassuring.

Attachments

• 38.JPG
    38.JPG
    519.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 590 3.JPG
    590 3.JPG
    419.8 KB · Views: 15
For HD and vehicle carry, 18.5", no question. However, you want extended capacity so I'd go with the 20". Why? I've read about issues with aftermarket extensions causing problems with aftermarket followers & springs. Personally, I'm going with a 20" and a Wolff spring with GG&G follower. Granted, the Vang Comp stuff seems well made and there may not be any issue with it but I'd trust/prefer a single piece magazine tube, especially in a defense situation.

Thanks guys for all the input. I just scored a sweet deal on a 590a1 51663 (20") with GRS NIB for 513.00 shipped. It will be about a week and a half until all the payments get worked out and I actually receive it through my LGS. I will post pics once I receive it. Im really looking forward to having the option of loading up to 8 in the tube right out of the box. Nice thing is with the 20 inch if you dont want to load the full eight you dont have to if you want to keep it a little lighter. It will make a nice companion to my current 18.5 590a1.

Good choice. Twenties are the preference of many trained shooters.

Get a really good sling. When your hands need to be busy with other stuff you will be grateful that you have it. Research it and get it right the first time.

Good score...!!

I own a #51663...and she's a shooter !!

f0d04a7b-e916-4c6f-8b53-d541e581b5ba_zpseknmp1ys.jpg

Good deal, I love the 20" guns! My favorite in the house or in the field and they ride just fine in a 6' bed or the back of a jeep!

Totally agree on the sling part. That's a whole-nother world of conversation and research.

In my experience, 18.5" models just feel more 'well balanced'. My 14" is just perfect and it is also 5+1. If you can't get the job done with 5+1, just do some drills on quick reloading, from a side saddle or get the extension. I think the extension throws off the balance though.

Back