• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 590a1 - detachable magazine

Is it possible to have a detachable magazine on a pump shotgun? More specifically a Mossberg 590a1?
Any brands or manufactures out there? Any information will out?
Thanks

The Knoxx Ind. SideWinder has been the only one that I'm aware of so far, but it was discontinued a few years back. For some reason folks didn't find paying $249.95 for the kit and $99.95 for each additional ten round drum very practical. Here's one of the original product briefs on the system...

Knoxx SideWinder Conversion Kit

Last one I saw on ebay sold used for $500...

The Knoxx kit is the only one that comes to mind for me. Pretty sure they are out of production but you still see them pop up on the used market from time to time. I sketched out some plans to make a set-up using a staggered double stack straight mag a few months ago.......definitely something I want to experiment with but I'm not going to put much work into that project until I see what they do with the new weapons bans. The Knoxx kit was pretty expensive, as far as I remember......the drum type magazine upped the complexity quite a bit.

Yeah, Knoxx never got the system to feel reliably and it was discontinued soon after production began...

I'd like to see one of the Knoxx kits disassembled just to see what kind of plunger system they used in the mag tube to strip the rounds off of the magazine. It would be nice to see where their problems came from to see where it needed improved.

Thanks Mossy.....That link probably answered the OP's question and the pic showing the magwell answered mine. Looks like they use an open slot on the bottom of the mag tube to connect forearm to plunger........leaves the system open to contamination issues. The one I sketched out uses a sealed mag tube with the plunger connected to the forearm with rare-earth magnet sets like the rodless pneumatic cylinders we use at work. Keep the dirt out and you've got less problems. :)

Back