• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 800B

caldo1946

Copper BB
I am a total newbie to the process, however I have read thousands upon hours of forums about most guns I have.

In 1974 I bought a brand new 800B from Lacks stores in Galveston Texas. I put a Bushnell scope on it and for years hand loaded and took this rifle to the range. My son killed his first 8 or so deer with it and I will say many in the head or eye.

About 19 years ago, I retired the gun and it has been a safe queen since then. Recently, I decided to take it out and play with it again. Finding that I can't hit the side of the barn with it. Perhaps one of you guys can tell me if 1. is it shot out, 2. has something happened to knock it coocoo. I just not sure. Also Can anyone tell me if this gun would be worth rechambering (rebarreling) to perhaps a 22.250 or a 223

Thanks

Caldo1946

caldo1946 said:
I am a total newbie to the process, however I have read thousands upon hours of forums about most guns I have.

In 1974 I bought a brand new 800B from Lacks stores in Galveston Texas. I put a Bushnell scope on it and for years hand loaded and took this rifle to the range. My son killed his first 8 or so deer with it and I will say many in the head or eye.

About 19 years ago, I retired the gun and it has been a safe queen since then. Recently, I decided to take it out and play with it again. Finding that I can't hit the side of the barn with it. Perhaps one of you guys can tell me if 1. is it shot out, 2. has something happened to knock it coocoo. I just not sure. Also Can anyone tell me if this gun would be worth rechambering (rebarreling) to perhaps a 22.250 or a 223

Thanks

Caldo1946

I would recommend you contacting Mossberg directly and have you contact Victor Halving he is very knowledgeable with old shotguns.

Welcome to MO. Hope you enjoy the site.

Looks like a nice rifle from what I can find on the web. Did you give it a good cleaning before firing it again? Corrosion has a way of making good rifles go bad. Maybe it just needs a bit of TLC.

I'll copy this thread over to the "Discontinued Models" section for better visibility in the hopes someone can help you there as well.

Back