• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Reviews...

Re: Know where to find a xps barrel?

SWEET!

Looking forward to your update once you have it installed...

Re: Know where to find a SPX barrel?

Mossberg had a barrel instock?? I called earlier in the week and they said they were out of stock of all barrels that fit a 930

Re: Know where to find a SPX barrel?

Fate0n3 said:
Mossberg had a barrel instock?? I called earlier in the week and they said they were out of stock of all barrels that fit a 930

Mossberg had SPX barrels in stock two weeks ago when I was talking to them. I was surprised when they quoted $155 plus shipping. Thats a deal!

Re: Had my first 3Gun outing w/ my ported 930spx

RippSpeed said:
picked up a 24" Mossberg 930 JM Pro series, today... but since I'm in Komifornia I have to wait 10days to get her out. Once I get her out I'll be replacing exchanging a few things out...
So I gotta ask you a question... how are you running a 30 rd mag in your AR being in Ca?

Im in the mojave desert myself, love shooting, love southern california, but the two dont love eachother and makes everything a PITA. Want to get into some 3 gun, but cant see any legit way to do it unless I want to carry 5 10 round mags or more...

Are there some sort of exceptions for sporting events?

Nube Range Report

I did an intro post a couple of days ago .. I think the same day I bought the Mossberg 930. The model I have is referred to on Mossberg's site as the Home Security 5 Shot I believe.

I was working from home today and Saturday started looking further and further away, so I decided to take it down to the range at lunchtime and cycle a few rounds through it. I snatched up my shell bucket that had about 20 some odd reloads left over from Sporting Clays last Saturday. They were 1 1/8 ounce hand loads - according to the recipe they would have been 1200 fps or a little less - my bushing drops a little less powder than the recipe calls for.

Since the gun had never been fired, I planned on stopping along the way and picking up a box or two of 'gorilla bullets' ... something with some real oomph to give it the best chance of cycling. The first place I stopped had very little in stock, the velocity wasn't much higher than my reloads, and they were WAYYYY overpriced for being in a hull that I wouldn't reload more than once or twice.

Second stop was actually my favorite place .. their prices are a little higher but they're lower volume, family run .... a great little store. Unfortunately he was down to 1 oz light recoil loads.

I had a little buckshot in my range bag so I figured I could at least cycle that. First stop was the patterning board. Fired a few of my 1 1/8 reloads at 15 yards. They patterned evenly and the gun shot to point of aim. I'll probably end up monkeying around with the shims anyway. I also learned that if I'm going to shoot this at Sporting Clays on Saturday, I better get on those targets QUICK :). Made mental note to look into getting the barrel threaded for choke tubes. Just for yucks I fired a round of Winchester 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buck. I wasn't impressed with the pattern but I've never patterned buckshot before so I don't know what it's supposed to look like.

I picked up 15 'Rabbit' targets that were intact off the field and headed to the 25 yard berms to see if it would cycle my reloads. I wedged 5 of the rabbits at the end of the berm, loaded 5 rounds and the gun went bang 5 times - I wasn't shooting real fast - maybe a little over a second between shots. I was impressed with the accuracy of the gun. I kept my eyes on the target .. basically ignoring the bead .. and all 5 rabbits vanished. For those of you who have shot sporting clays and have seen the rabbit targets .. they're rugged. Those are the ones that get thrown and roll along the ground .. occasionally hopping.

Put up another 5 rabbits and loaded another 5 rounds. Shot a little faster .. 5 bangs .. 5 hits .. no hiccups. I was lovin life right about then. I decided to push it a little and the next 5 rounds I loaded - the 3rd round in the magazine tube was a 1 oz load - lower velocity. I expected the gun to fail to cycle after it fired that load. It kept going. 5 bangs 5 hits.

Our club has a policy that if you shoot clay targets in the berms (A lot of people use them for pistol targets) - you police up the big parts when you're done. There was no sign of the ones I shot at (More a testament to a cylinder bore at approximately 10 yards and the gun shooting to point of aim than my expertise with a shotgun). Anyway, there were a few big orange chunks of clay target up on the far end of the berm that someone else had left behind. I loaded up 5 last rounds and fired as fast as I could pull the trigger. 5 more bangs. No failures. No more orange chunks of clay.

Love the gun so far .. but so far there is nothing not to like. I think a lot of the reliability I experienced on the first shoot was from a lot of what I read on this forum - how to clean the gun .. where to pay special attention to - how to lube it - what to smooth out with a little 0000 steel wool.

I'll clean it tomorrow. I'm anxious to see where crud collected. The hulls my reloads were in are Gun Clubs. I don't know what the base is but it's not brass. I'm interested to see if the bases look any different than when they're tossed out of my Beretta 391 .. or it they're any bigger. I usually spot check the bases with calipers every 2nd or 3rd load to make sure my resizing collett is still doing it's job. I don't know why anything would be different that way with the Mossberg but I know very little about the Mossberg right now ... outside of the fact that the first outing with a brand new gun appears to have been a complete success .. and a fun time.

Re: Nube Range Report

Awesome. Glad to hear it ran exacly as expected!!

Re: Nube Range Report

sounded like you had a great "lunch hour". :D glad to hear all went well.

85371 BW 930 SPX or 85325 security/field combo?

:roll: I'm pretty sure a 930 will be my next gun and these are 2 options I'm considering right now.

Option 1). I can get a 85325 home security/field combo for $596. I would then add the choate +3 mag extension ($48) and the pistol gripped full stock ($77). This set-up would give me the 18.5" bead sight security barrel and a 28" vented rib field barrel. I figure I'd be into this for $810 complete (after tax and DROS). For this I would have the 2 barrels and 2 stocks which is great but the sights are minimal and the charging handle is flat (as opposed to round).

Option 2). I can get the 85371 Blackwater 930 SPX for $760. With tax and DROS, the out the door price would be about $851. However, I'm guessing (70% sure) this will go on sale within a month for about $730 which would bring the OTD price to $818. This option would give me better sights, the "Blackwater" logo (big whoop) and would be complete immediately.

I really like the idea of having the extra field barrel, although I may not get much chance to use it. On the other hand, the much better sights are something I would use everytime I shoot the gun. Then again, I could sell off the regular stock if I don't like it and put the money towards upgrading the combos' sights.

I've read alot of feedback on the Blackwater SPX but hardly anything on the security/field combo.
What do you guys think?

I pulled the fore end off my 930 at the gunshop which I dont think the dealer liked too much to check out the magazine tube...yep Very deep gouges from the factory which I wasnt too happy about but I knew how to fix it. First thing at home I dremeled the inside of each end of the spring to fix the tube gouging problems, dremeled some rough corners off the bolt and there was some strange metal or finish blemishes inside the the barrel lug of gas system I polished out. Also my magazine follower had raised gouges and scratches I polished off the OD of where it rides inside tube. Also filed off high spots of magazine tube from the carnage the spring had done to it. The gun shoots great no FTF, hits pretty much dead on at 50 yards with slugs but can only get 6 rounds of 2-3/4" shells in magazine...

Re: 85371 BW 930 SPX or 85325 security/field combo?

I'd go with the combo.

Better track record as far as QC issues versus the SPX models. BW logo or not, you're rolling the dice with canted front sights and out of spec parts on the SPX...

The combo I've seen at the LGS has a flat charging handle (old style?) but the picture in the 2012 catalog shows the rounded (new style?) one. Does that indicate the LGS is drawing from some old stock somewhere and that I may be in for some older QC issues, or did all the problems bypass the 85325 combo's?

After reading some of the QC horror stories, I'm a little "gun shy".
That's such a bummer because I've really liked my Mossberg pumps.

There's no telling how long inventory sits in distributor's warehouses before making it to retail stores.

I don't recall seeing any major issues with the 930 platform prior to the SPX series. The rushed production to meet increased demand is likely to blame for the lack of QC and most of these issues presenting all at once. I don't foresee you having any issues with the combo model...

I just got the field/security combo last week. shot it for the first time this weekend and love it. worked flawlessly with either barrel shooting budget walmart target loads. No QC issues that i can tell. I bought it from Buds online, had to wait a few weeks to arrive, but worth the wait for the price.

hope you enjoy whichever you get, but think the combo offers the most value. plus you could hold off on the stock upgrade until others (Urbino) are available.

my only planned upgrade is charging handle, as the factory one lacks ease of use.

got it for $530 shipped paid $10 FFL transfer. everywhere else i saw one it was at least $600, so saved an extra 10% off that.

Well I "Pulled the Trigger" on the 85325 security/field combo today. Price was $596 or $673 OTD here in California. Now the 10 day wait before I take delivery.

Back