• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: 930 and jams

Hopefully this helps.... when ejection port loading and releasing the bolt you can prevent many loading jams by allowing the elevator to do what it is designed to do. In other words hold the gun so the ejection port is vertical. This will make the shell rest completely on the elevator in a flat position. Many problems happen when you cant the gun towards you and cause the shell to lean against the left wall of the receiver. Then when the bolt slams forward the shell call have a bit of trouble entering the barrel.

Many times if using your left hand to feed the gun from underneath you may be looking at the ejection port and unaware of tilting. You may also think tilting the gun helps with loading but it actually makes it harder for the shell to load.

40rounds of Remington buck and slug through it today with no elevator problems. Had one failure to eject but I'm willing to write that up as being the shell.

Sounds good! Keep us updated and let us know if you have any other problems.

megawatt said:
Hopefully this helps.... when ejection port loading and releasing the bolt you can prevent many loading jams by allowing the elevator to do what it is designed to do. In other words hold the gun so the ejection port is vertical. This will make the shell rest completely on the elevator in a flat position. Many problems happen when you cant the gun towards you and cause the shell to lean against the left wall of the receiver. Then when the bolt slams forward the shell call have a bit of trouble entering the barrel.

Many times if using your left hand to feed the gun from underneath you may be looking at the ejection port and unaware of tilting. You may also think tilting the gun helps with loading but it actually makes it harder for the shell to load.

I just got back from the Clark County shooting park where I put a few more boxes through it today. When I feed through the ejection port, I usually fully seat the round in the chamber then release the bolt,so I don't think it's that. The problem didn't resurface today, so maybe the full disassembly, cleaning and lube I did last night took care of it. Only 1 problem today and that was a failure to eject, but it's possible the shell hit the upper receiver on the way out, or it may have been how the Mrs. was holding it. Fortunately it was last round in the weapon at the time so the bolt locked back instead of stovepiping.

Howdy, and welcome to the club. I see everyone was helpful in here. So I just want to say hi... Hi!

megawatt said:
I need to get to CCSP and do more skeet shooting on Thursdays

Nice segue into my next question. I wouldn't mind busting some clays with this. Can anyone suggest a good barrel for the SPX?

Help! Mossberg 930 spx troubleshooting

Hello,
Im new to this site and i was wondering if anybody could answer some questions i have. Im looking to get a Mossberg 930 spx and i want to change it up a bit, but ive never owned a shotgun before and i dont know if the parts will be compatible. As time goes on ill ask more questions but right now im wondering if this barrel
http://www.hyattgunstore.com/mossberg-m ... sight.html
will be able to be dropped into this gun
http://www.hyattgunstore.com/mossberg-9 ... arrel.html

Thanks for your time!

Kevin

Also, if people could suggest sites for upgrades and customizations that would be great. A one stop shop would be ideal but i know thats unrealistic. Please and Thanks!

Re: Help! Mossberg 930 spx troubleshooting

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum kpohanka !!

When you find the time, please stop by the New Members Welcome area and introduce yourself to our community.

Not sure about the barrel...even tho it is labeled Mossberg 930 at the top of the page.

this i understand, however, i was lead to believe that the SPX would not be compatible with other 930 barrels. the source was unreliable so i decided to register and check here.

Exactly why I didn't want to claim I knew Kevin...the manufacturer didn't included SPX in the title, therefore I myself would believe it would not...

Be patient...someone will wander along with the correct answer, then we will both know !! ;)

I learn something new everyday here...that's why I joined.

The barrel will fit the Mossberg 930 SPX but having the rear sight rail and sight will interfere with using the barrel properly. You will end up having to remove the setup if you wanted to use the 28" vent rib barrel. What are your goals and desires for purchasing a Mossberg 930 autoloader?

Theres a metric ton of info on here about the 930 as well as aftermarket parts to outfit it with!

Welcome to the MO!

Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

The following is my review and what I have encountered with my 930 SPX. I purchased it brand new this past August 2011 from a local hunting/fishing store. As you can see on the box label, the shotgun was Packed on July 7, 2011; so I will assume I have the latest generation. But my issues are the same issues that were noted over 3-4 years ago.

1) Sights are off, windage adjustment is almost maxed out to the left side.
2) Magazine Capacity with 2-3/4" = (70mm) ammo varies between 6+1 (With most Slugs and OOBuck) and 7+1 (most universal clay/bird shot) Have not used any 3" magnum shell, nor do I plan to.
3) Trigger Group lateral play (affecting shell elevator and causing magazine loading issue)
4) Gas Piston Area, abnormal wear with less than 250 rounds on the 930 SPX

IMG_4500.JPG

I love the ergonomics of this shotgun, feels just right out of the box, and what a "Looker" :shock:

IMG_4514.JPG

Note the rear sight position
IMG_4538.JPG

To me, that is not acceptable, not sure if the front sight is out of position or the Rear Sight Rail is off
IMG_4504.JPG

IMG_4506.JPG

The trigger group has a lot of lateral play, enough so that the shell elevator does not always fall into the recessed area of the bolt/slide; causing not being able to load shells into the magazine. Note Feeler gauge

IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_4508.JPG

With the lateral play in the trigger group, the shell elevator will not always fall into the recessed area; making it difficult or impossible to load the magazine tube.
IMG_4509.JPG

Next is the magazine spring....Really!?...I shouldn't have to cut a factory installed spring to obtain factory specified capacities. Spring length I got was about 34-5/8th

IMG_4518.JPG

Next is unacceptable wear on the Gas Piston area

IMG_4519.JPG

IMG_4520.JPG

IMG_4523.JPG

IMG_4524.JPG

Some where in there is causing the gouging on the action tube
IMG_4525.JPG

My last range time, the shotgun failed to cycle low recoil 00 buck; but it had no problems with Low Recoil Slugs.

Do I trust this shotgun?...nope, loading and feeding issues.

Hopefully, Mossberg will take care of my issues and future issues with this Model. I will post any updates I get from Mossberg. I have already sent an e-mail to them with no response in the last 2 weeks.

I will also note, when I first took the 930 SPX out of the box, the rear sight was about 2/3 to the front of the rail and I had to sight it in at 50 yards make significant windage adjustment to move the POI. I wonder, does Mossberg sight in their products at the factory? I believe my Sig Sauer, Heckler and Koch, Walther, and Benelli all came with test targets from the factory.

If anyone wants me to make a video showing the loading issue and capacity issue..please post a request.

Re: Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

I am hoping you purchased that a local supplier. I would think a full refund would be in order.
There should be a warning on your topic that reads "caution graphic images may be disturbing to some audiences".

SoCal Choppas said:
..1) Sights are off, windage adjustment is almost maxed out to the left side.

To me, that is not acceptable, not sure if the front sight is out of position or the Rear Sight Rail is off
IMG_4504.JPG
Look at the rear right side of the base, the knotch that clamps the side of the 1913 rail is not in a correct position. Loosen the knob and correctly position the sight then tighten down. The sight was placed flat on top of the rail and then clamped down not allowing the "V" edge on the right to hold on the the rail. If it gets into correct position it will raise the right side of the sight and the ghost ring will have to be moved towards the center where it should be.

SoCal Choppas said:
2) Magazine Capacity with 2-3/4" = (70mm) ammo varies between 6+1 and 7+1
Depends on the ammo your trying to load up, but 6 or 7 is normal capacity, just depends on what ammo you have. 2 3/4" is not always 2.75" in overall length.

Rio Royal buck 00B 2 3/4" ammo is actually more like 2 7/8" and here is a good pic of some 2 3/4" Fiocci.

IMG_4462.JPG

My spring length was 35.5" long on a new SPX that is two weeks old now. Been thru a couple hundred shells with no problems. Don't go cutting your spring, its the correct length.

I agree your gas tube does look nackered and hopefully gets replaced. Hope things work out for you.

good eye on the rear sight, but shouldnt it "self right" as the knob is tightend. Why would it look like that, you almost cant put them on wrong. If it did get up on the rail better that would bring the ring over to the right some though.

oli700 said:
good eye on the rear sight, but shouldnt it "self right" as the knob is tightend. Why would it look like that, you almost cant put them on wrong. If it did get up on the rail better that would bring the ring over to the right some though.

you are right, you almost can't put these on wrong; they self center on to the rail. The picture is a little deceiving..because of the shadow and inconsistent chamfer they put on the rail. I confirmed that the sight is on center and making full contact, so that is not the cause.

Per the factory manual:
2-3/4" is 7+1 capacity
3" Magnums are 6+1

Those 2-3/4" Fiocchi Slugs are long enough, that I can only get 6+1; no where close to a 3" Magnum.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been reading a lot here. I thought I put in my first post here since I will be getting my own 930 SPX in 8 days.

I was inspecting my new purchase when I was signing my 10 day waiting period for background here in CA and I noticed the front sight is not the fiber optic version anymore. Instead it was a white stripe painted on the front sight. Also the rear sight is not removable like the pictures I see posted here. Instead it is integrated with the picatinny rail. Here is a picture from Mossberg's own website:

930SPXRearSights.jpg

I sure hope I don't have the problems you guys are having. I did check that the front site is welded on straight and not canted.

Spodeboy

spodeboy said:
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been reading a lot here. I thought I put in my first post here since I will be getting my own 930 SPX in 8 days.

I was inspecting my new purchase when I was signing my 10 day waiting period for background here in CA and I noticed the front sight is not the fiber optic version anymore. Instead it was a white stripe painted on the front sight. Also the rear sight is not removable like the pictures I see posted here. Instead it is integrated with the picatinny rail. Here is a picture from Mossberg's own website:

930SPXRearSights.jpg

I sure hope I don't have the problems you guys are having. I did check that the front site is welded on straight and not canted.

Spodeboy

Spodeboy,

The SPX you purchased is a variant of the model line, "Blackwater Series" and yes, it has totally different sights. You may still have issues with the magazine spring and lateral movement in the trigger group.

Back