• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: 1st round feeding issues....

One thing that happen on my SPX 2.0, the #24 Pusher Assembly got hung up and the SPX was fresh and lubed. I dripped some lube on the Pusher rods and it didn't happen again, but during some of mag dumps I noticed the action would stutter and not quickly reset. You can see that in my Mag Dump video. I plan to polish and smooth out the moving parts of my SPX (not including the FCG) and see what happens.

Re: Review/Issues of my 930 SPX, Sept 2011

Some recent photos my SPX 2.0
IMG_4698.JPG
IMG_4701.JPG
IMG_4709.JPG

While this is just cosmetic and internal, this is how I received my 2nd SPX
IMG_4705.JPG
IMG_4706.JPG

This is how I use a 3/8" drive 19mm Craftsman Deep Socket P/N 44436 with an extension to align the gas piston and recoil spring assembly before I slide the barrel on the Magazine tube, I think it helped keep the wear down.
IMG_4695.JPG
IMG_4696.JPG
IMG_4697.JPG

Also noted that my magazine tube was loose from the receiver

my pusher assembly was still silky smooth. I think there is something going on in the FCG as the bolt is stiffer to pull back now that it was originally. I'm guessing its spring related or something binding that I couldn't see. I did not want to dig into it to much as I was afraid I'd ruin the warranty, so after I smoothed the gouge marks up and it still had feeding issues on the first round, then had a couple misfeeds during cycling of shooting, I figured send it in... I REALLY just want this thing to run seamless so I can trust it as much as I really want to! Thanks for the feedback!

Re: Replacing Safety

Why finally got it. A super strong magnet and a huge roll of shipping tape got it free! All back together and ran a box of federal bulk and pdx1 flawless. I'll take pictures after Carl wins his championship!

Grrrr, I have a 930 SPX single shot now

Three days ago, I had the first chance to take out the SPX after getting it cerecoated in desert colors. I knew the action did not feel right by simply hand cycling the bolt. The bolt no longer glided along the rails smoothly as it slid in the receiver, there was now a very unfamiliar scratchy and rough feeling. My gun absolutely ran 100% with all loads (round count about 600), but now I had a feeling things were about to change. I hit the range and loaded up some slugs and found out the bolt would only extract about half an inch with each shot requiring me to hand cycle the action. Even loading from bolt open would fail to drive the bolt and shell forward into battery.

Turns out, some cerecoat overspray got into the receiver and coated the rails reducing the bolt to receiver clearance. My ultra dependable semi auto was acting like a single shot. The cerecoat also made barrel removal a bear, it was stuck in there much tighter. Once the gun was broken down I could clearly see all the areas where I would be using a detail abrasive brush attached to the dremmel. Abrasive brushes disintegrate as you use them so I was able to get about 85% removed from the rails and 100% removed from the barrel/receiver area with the only brush I had.

I did learn about my gun in that 600 rounds of use starts to develop enough carbon deposits under the two split rings on the gas piston to prevent them from freely rotating. Not enough to be a problem but at least now I know I don't need to touch the gas piston until at least the 600 shell mark. But since I was in there I decided to clean it all up while I had everything apart.

Action is much smoother now so off to the range to shoot at some iron targets. Maybe I will try to get a cell phone video. Overall I am still happy with the cerecoat mod to the gun, but sometimes you create new issues with each mod. It is just going about 20 minutes of detail work to clean things up to get back my 100% running SPX.

0c287a0f.jpg

Re: Grrrr, I have a 930 SPX single shot now

Let us know how you make out man...!!

Even though you had issues, at least you know where to look to work them out and can handle them. Final product looks good and I am willing to bet you will work out the kinks.

thsmiley_two_thumbs_up.gif

My necessary SPX mod

I am willing to bet everyone with a SPX has run into the following situation....

Shell #1 on the elevator and another shell #2 being pushed down on top of shell #1 by the force of the magazine spring. Since the elevator is not designed to hold 1-1/3 shells the gun is not going to cycle once you get to this point.
a9af5b3e.jpg

A double feed on the elevator can easily happen if the bolt release is pushed down while the bolt is forward in battery. Doesn't matter if you grabbed the gun and accidentally depressed the bolt release or if you laid the gun down on its side on the button, your going to need to do some corrective action. In order to clear it you have to use your fingers inserted thru the ejection port and push the top shell back into the magazine. You can not simply pull the charging handle back to clear this issue. When you start to push things around you will most likely release the bolt and now your fingers are pinched in the receiver. Or you can just hold the charging lever back with one hand, and use the second hand to manipulate the shell forward, now causing a two handed fix.

So I always thought it would be nice to be able to use a finger on the underside of the elevator and simply push the #2 shell back in the magazine tube. But the way the elevator is shaped it covers the end of the shell preventing this solution. Out comes the dremmel with small diameter wheel that fits the shape perfectly, that I used to elongate the cutout.

b0a4ab36.jpg

Right now the mod works, but it is a little more difficult to free up the shell than I want. There is a little more trimming that can be done to make it even easier but I want to test fire first to see if I created a new unforeseen problem. But for now it is possible for me to use my finger nail to push the shell back up and clear the problem.

Back from the range and everything is running like a champ once again. I can still feel a little bit of grab on the bolt because I did not get all the cerecote out before the brush disintegrated. I did pick up some replacement detail brushes but I am going to leave things be as the gun runs well now. The remaining coating will eventually wear off with use and that will only increase the feed speed.

I am happy once again. :D

But I did get reminded about another issue of convenience that I have wanted to tackle. I wrote it up here... :geek:

http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2580

Re: My necessary SPX mod

Keep us updated on how it works out for you.

No doubt on the updates good or bad with 3" and 2-3/4" shells. I should be able to hit the range a week from today when I am on my 7 days off rotation.

megawatt said:
No doubt on the updates good or bad with 3" and 2-3/4" shells. I should be able to hit the range a week from today when I am on my 7 days off rotation.

Do you do a 12 hour rotating swing shift? Thats what I do. 7 days off in a row every 28 days. I finally found a 930spx (85370) locally. I got to touch it, feel its weight, feel its balance. It will be mine! Mine I tell you! As soon as I get some time off.
I like to think of myself as a practical person. So I think my first mod should be the Nordic clamp.
What do you folks think? Keep in mind I am poor!

Hognot said:
...Do you do a 12 hour rotating swing shift? Thats what I do. 7 days off in a row every 28 days. I finally found a 930spx (85370) locally. ...

I work a modified Dupont schedule from 5 o'clock till 5 o'clock and need to burn two more vacation days before christmas. Two weeks of dayshift and two weeks of nights, and I work every other weekend. Sounds bad but I absolutely want to do this till I retire in 20 years, I like it that much.

Nordic makes great looking & performing items, I would spend time looking and reviewing what other mods users have reported on. There may be something better for your purpose, not that anything is wrong with Nordic but since you mention "poor" in the mod funds area then just take time to prevent any buyers remorse.

Re: Replacing Safety

Uhh, does this mean we are not going to get pics now? :)
Just kidding. The race came on over here in the Kingdom at around 9:30pm local. I watched until about an hour into the first red flag.
AFN showed it again Monday afternoon so I was able to see the whole thing. I thought Carl and Tony put on a heck of a show. I also thought carl was the ultimate sportsman with his actions after the race. There are alot of racers out there that should take notice of Carl's actions and see him for the class act that he is.
Carl Edwards will be a force to contend with next year. Hopefully Dale Jr. will be too.
That being said, let's see some pics!

well, called mossberg to follow up today.... they said they checked it in yesterday, replaced elevator and mag spring and test fired 15 rounds of 00 buck and 15 rounds of rifled slugs, and it was flawless. Should be shipping it back within the next few days due to holiday delay.... i'm extremely excited, however, i did just realize tonight that I hope it fixes the main problem of feeding the 1st round using the bolt release and hope they did something for the gas system marring up the mag tube pretty bad. We'll see how it goes! Fingers crossed. Everyone have a GREAT Thanksgiving day!!!

Looking forward to your update. I hope they got you all squared away.

A happy and blessed Thanksgiving to you and yours as well...

Hi both me and my father in law ordered mossberg 930 i believe when they must have first came out
sept 2009 or 2010 gun works great as intended (BUT I DO HAVE ONE ISSUE) we bought them as combos in wood avid pheasant and deer hunters, well the wood for the what i would call forearm is actually cracking and getting worse every time i use it i dont get whats going on i have maybe 50 shells through it total and no i never dropped or damaged the gun its my baby, but it just bothers me that it keeps getting worse i could understand after like 20 years or something but man i noticed it first year deer hunting, who knows maybe someone can help
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :x :x :x :x :x

Back