• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 follower stuck in mag tube

jaminjavajoe

Copper BB
HI I took my new (out of the box) Mossberg 930 SPX to the range yesterday with some Remington 12ga,2 ¾, 1oz, 7.5shot game loads and Remington 2 ¾ 1oz slugs. I first put in 7 of the game shots in and fired it for the first time. All went well, loaded another 7 more and then it started jamming. One shell would be laying on lifter with another ¼ inch hanging out of mag.

By reaching into the well I was able to push shell back into mag ‘with the lifter then lifting shell up like it is suppose to. This would happen each time after firing a chambered round. So, I switched to the slugs and immediately noticed there wasn't any spring tension in the mag tube?

Unscrewed mag cap from mag extension tube only to find the follower jammed into the tube itself with the spring fully compressed inside the mag extension tube. It took a bit of an effort to get it out.

Any ideas on how this could happen or fixed so it doesn't happen again would be much appreciated.

TIA

Welcome aboard.

Here are a few possibilities we see regularly:

1. The follower has burrs or irregulatities that are causing it to stick in the tube. This can be corrected with a little fine sanding or polishing to smoothe out the outer surface of the follower.

2. The extension was screwed on unevenly causing the follower to transition into the mag tube at a slight angle which caused it to stick. Checking to make sure the extension is threaded on so the tube is in alignment with the mag tube should solve this problem.

3. The extension is not threaded on completely, causing a small gap between the extension body and the end of the tube. The follower can get askew in thos gap and become jammed up. This is sometimes caused by the forend not being completely seated onto the receiver which prevents the ability to thread the extension all the way down. Or, the extension has simply not been threaded on completely.

That'll get you started, so check it out and let us know if it helps. If not we can dive into it further...

Thanks lazy eyed, I checked all of what you suggested and everything looked fine. Cleaned it real good, oiled as directed in the instructions book, took it back to the range and it still only took 5
2 3/4" shells and when fired it jams with one shell laying on the lifter and another 1/2" sticking out of the mag tube.

After I got home and had it all dis-assembled, I remembered something about spring length and so I did the google/youtube search and found most 930 mag springs to be in the 28-30 inch range. Measured the spring that came with it and it is 39".

Several other places I read said that the factory spring and follower in the 930 is trash. Recommended I get a Nordic follower and spring or a wolf spring.i

Many other place recommend that I start cutting an inch or two off of the "39 inches" until it is able to take 7.

Being and up and coming Senior citizen (lol) I just hate paying to fix something that I purchased and is suppose to work out of the box( this 930 is not the cheapest weapon I've ever purchase so paying more just to get it to work is something I'm going to struggle with mightily).

Mossberg is closed today but tomorrow I will call them. And even that from what I read is going to cost me in that I'm told they will just asked me to send them the gun with me paying the S & H.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Back