• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 SPX Failure to extract / eject

MikeT

.270 WIN
I am noticing every 20 to 30 rounds of 3.25 dram number 8 shot high brass loads, I get a failure to extract and / or failure to eject.

When manipulating the extractor, it feels quite easy to move. It does not move freely, just easily. What should I be looking for to solve this issue?

Federal's2 3/4" 3 Dram Number 71/2 shot, pretty much any Winchester shot 71/2 and 8, and any Herters stuff. Runs reliably with slugs and buckshot (Have not tried reduced recoil stuff).

I know that there have been issues reported by others here with Winchester and some Federal bulk shells. The rim on some shells are a bit thinner than others and don't offer positive contact with the extractor. The gas system on the 930 can be a bit sensitive as well, especially when new. It does not function well at all with any ammo rated for muzzle velocities under 1200fps. Also lighter, lower density ammo can exit the barrel too quickly and not return enough gas to properly cycle the bolt. If the issue is intermittent, I would suggest giving the weapon a good cleaning and run some high brass through it to loosen it up a bit more and your extraction/ejection problem should clear up before long...

It has over three hundred rounds of high brass loads through it. I have finally found a 3 dram Federal load that works very well in my 930. It is a shame to find out that the 930 water fowl gun uses a more forgiving gas system (Spring in front of the piston and larger gas ports) than that on the 930 SPX weapons. Another issue I have with Mossberg is that they know the SPX is overly sensitive to the lower velocity stuff and will make parts available to allow for the use of lower intensity loads in the SPX. With that said, now that I have a working load, I am more than pleased with my SPX's performance. I can average .17 second splits and my shooting coach can average .15 second splits with the Federal load that works in my SPX. Not too shabby!

Well after a quite a bit of shooting, I decided to send my 930SPX to Mossberg to have the front site post looked at. The result is Mossberg is replacing the barrel and piston. They are putting a properly completed SPX barrel on and replacing the piston the the JM series stainless steel piston at no charge! They even paid for the shipping to them and will pay for the shipping back to me. I must say that I am impressed. If Joe reads the forum, thanks for putting up with my inquiries.

Well... My 930SPX will not be making it back to me by this weekend. It appears the folks making the barrel in the NE for assembly in Texas are back to improperly mounting the front sight post on the barrels. I am in the holding pattern for a 930SPX barrel with a properly fitted front sight post :-(

At least they did not just send me another problem barrel.

Back