• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg blunderbuss barrel

Would an 18" blunderbuss style barrel be practical or legal?

vocab_blunderbuss.jpg

I would think the answer the first part of your question would be no.

The second part of your question should be yes. Unless there is some state law that I'm not aware of that has banned Blunderbuss barrels.

Currently, they're only approved for hunting zombies and werewolves with silver shot, and only outside the California Legendary Wilderness Creatures Protection Zone, which stretches from South Hollywood to Oregon.

:crazy:

Well one of you fab guys come up with a way to make this work with the 590/835 lug set up as an option too.

Would it practical? Not in the least. Would it be cool for at least a day? Yes.

Here's Dave loading black powder in a single shot. Closest that I have ever seen it done.

Never seen a pump or semi auto antique gun though. Other than perhaps a Hotchkiss or Gatlin, but neither of which were black powder.

H&R used to make a Handy Rifle in 58 caliber black powder, with a screw-in breech plug that had a standard cap nipple in the center.

A bit light for a 58, its recoil was substantial. The gun was accurate though, and fun to shoot.

The thing I am most curious about is the barrel. I've seen a choke shaped like that, but it wouldn't affect anything because the straight or parallel portion of the barrel would already be driving the shot in a straight enough line that it wouldn't open up. In a blunderbuss, the barrel starts to widen much earlier on. This would of course reduce velocity considerably, but there is a diminishing point of returns on that inside the house anyway. We know it's a myth that you just have to point a shotgun in a defensive application because the spread is not wide at all. Moreover, shotguns loaded with 00 buck penetrate a lot, something like 13-14 sheets of drywall (or 6-7 walls). When you look around most peoples homes, you can see the danger of over penetration for both your home and that of neighbors. It would seem to me that this technology could work again to make it harder to miss indoors while reducing the ability to overpenetrate.

I think the gun itself would be "legal" as long as the barrel was at least 18" (in the US). As far as what comes out of the business end, that would be dictated by what your state or local laws prohibit. Here in FL, state law says it is illegal to use flechettes and other nasties in a firearm. Same with "dragon's breath" or other pyrotechnics...

If I saw a blunderbuss barrel for a 500 or any shotgun I own for that matter I would probably pick it up. If for no other reason than the novelty of it.

Back