• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg elevator failure youtube video.

95jza80tt

.270 WIN

Just saw this the other day and wondered if many or any at all seen this? I haven't tested it on mine but I have a habit of not dropping my guns on purpose.

He has a 88 vs Rem 870 video w/ the same drop test that unseats the elevator. I'm glad you posted that.

Seems like a pretty easy fix though for this issue. Just need to drill and tap the pins to accept button head screws at the right depth so they bottom out and still leave enough of a shoulder to allow the lifter to move. Hell I'm sure mossberg could redesign the elevator/lifter with that provision and permanently fix the issue from happening on future models, but weather or not if they will is the question. I can see it costing a bit more money due to the extra tooling and sourcing of washers and screws for this, so production cost will go up for each shotgun and when you talk about production runs that go in the thousands that adds up extremely fast. I hope there is a fix coming and if mossberg put out a kit that consumers can buy to fix the issue that would be awesome.

Come on, man. I bought my first 500 in 1985 and still have it. I've thrown the '85 in the bed of the pick up truck a thousand times skeet shooting and dropped it more than a few times in the field. I've never experienced that problem. I own 3 500As and 1 500C and I've never experienced that problem. Probably an out of spec 88 Mexican part. Probably cure that problem by spreading it out a little to tighten the fit. Just for the hell of it, I just dropped my (unloaded) 1985 500 from about 3 feet onto a throw rug in the living room. No problems. Maybe he should do a video on the 870 drawing blood and pinching fingers when loading it. Drama.

I have had my 500 apart several times for cleaning, and actually I find the elevator a little difficult to remove. It's not difficult to squeeze together but then you have to maneuver it around the safety before it actually comes completely unpinned from the receiver.

Now I can imagine that if I tweaked mine a little bit, just right, I could fix it so it did come un-pinned.

Also there may be some variation in the width of that safety block that makes some guns harder to take apart

[EDIT].....I watched the video again and I realize that the Mav doesn't have a tang safety so what I just said only applies to the 500.[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Well I just played with my 500 a little bit and I can see that if you push those pins into the receiver they will go far enough to detach one side or the other of the elevator.

You don't have to stand there and jiggle the gun like a moron. You just have to stick your finger in the receiver and push the elevator until it locks in place.

I got mine to go back in the first time, easily, so on the second try I actually ran the action in until it started to jam on the displaced elevator.

I hit the release, racked it forward, and pushed the elevator back in. I didn't jam it hard enough to scar the metal but I did jam it hard enough to remove the bluing. I thought it was extremely easy to unjam.

Mine is a relatively new gun with fewer than 200 Rounds down the tube. As things wear in it might get easier to jam.

Buy an old 500. I have 3 of them made in the 80's (1 1991) and no problems. My '85 500A is the definition of a truck/farm/fun gun. It's scratched and beaten and runs like a Swiss watch. It would be a rather rare event to have anything push one of the elevator pins in. Unless, of course, you drop your 500 perfectly on a brass punch pointed upward.

Back