• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Model 183

I'm going to begin working on a Model 183 .410 that seems to have a fixed full choke barrel, it seems to be in good shape.

I might hurt a few feelings for what I'm about to say, but I'm going to have the barrel trimmed down to 19- inches and try to have rifle sights added.

It's going to be a dedicated smoothbore slug gun ( Why? you may ask, because I think it would be cool)

The only question I have for folks on the forum that own this particular model is, how strong is the action of the model 183 guns?

Pfletch8335 said:
I'm going to begin working on a Model 183 .410 that seems to have a fixed full choke barrel, it seems to be in good shape.

I might hurt a few feelings for what I'm about to say, but I'm going to have the barrel trimmed down to 19- inches and try to have rifle sights added.

It's going to be a dedicated smoothbore slug gun ( Why? you may ask, because I think it would be cool)

The only question I have for folks on the forum that own this particular model is, how strong is the action of the model 183 guns?

i don't own a 183 so i can't tell you how strong the action is..........but it's a old Mossy,,,,it's gotta be good. :D
as far as the mod's you are planning, sounds cool. are you planning on some slug shooting with it? from what i've read some people do NOT recommend shooting slugs.
keep us posted and when you get a chance post a pic or two. :D

old mossy said:
Pfletch8335 said:

i don't own a 183 so i can't tell you how strong the action is..........but it's a old Mossy,,,,it's gotta be good. :D
as far as the mod's you are planning, sounds cool. are you planning on some slug shooting with it? from what i've read some people do NOT recommend shooting slugs.
keep us posted and when you get a chance post a pic or two. :D

Well given the exp. I have with the two .410 500E's and cylinder choke barrels, it shouldn't be a problem (Because the choke should be cut out of the 183) and adding rifle sights (I've been thinking of trying to find a set used for the Marlin or Winchester lever action .410's) should help with consistent aiming at longer ranges than the plain bead sights on the 500E's.

The slugs I'll be using will be factory Winchester 3-inch (1/4 ounce) and 2-1/2 inch (1/5 ounce) loads, so it should be pretty safe.

It's going to be a JFF (Just for fun) project and a woods bumming gun ( The two pump actions are for more serious work)

And Maybe after getting the gun finished I might try to tinker with it a little more, see if I could convert it from an internal magazine to a detachable box magazine ( for fast reloads and easier unloading)

Lately I've been thinking of other modifications that could be made to the 183.

Maybe see if I could add a weaver/pic. rail just in front of the action and put a Red/green dot optic on it (scout rifle style) after having the barrel trimmed down some.

Back