• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg MVP - Maiden Voyage

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Well here she is:

14446809353_d092c9fc8b_c.jpg

Lets look at the hardware:

1 - MVP Predator 18.5" medium bull barrel
2 - DNZ Medium height game reaper scope mount
3 - Nikon P223 3-9 x 40 with BDC reticle / butler creek scope covers
4 - Triad Tactical comb raiser/pouch

Maiden voyage notes:

Took her out Saturday afternoon after I got home from my conference in DC. Day was great 80*F with small breeze topping off at 5-8mph… great time to get a zero in so I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

I began sighting in at 50 yards as I broke in the barrel with 30 rounds using PMC Xtac 55 gr XM193:

1 shot - clean barrel (repeat process 5 times)
5 shot group - clean barrel (repeat process 5 times)

of the 30 shots I had 4 light primer strikes. I attributed it to the gun breaking in and after 20 rounds in it never did that again.

I moved over to 100 yards and zeroed using Hornady Vmax .223 55gr and nailed it with 5 shots. I did this for 2 reasons - 1) a huge amount of users of this rifle state the Vmax and Zmax rounds perform the best out of the barrel, and 2) the Nikon P223 scope specifically states it traces the trajectory of a 55gr .223 polymer tip round is set on the BDC reticle.

I had some variety of rounds after I zeroed at 100 that I was curious so I decided to put in 5 shot groups to see how they performed:

14240025428_1437c0dacd_c.jpg

Top left - Hornady Vmax 55gr .223 - not bad

Top right - Hornady Zmax 55gr .223 - much better. I think it was me actually doing my part as the zmax and vmax are the same bullet

Center - PMC Xtac 55gr XM193 5.56 NATO - hits a little high but the grouping is decent

Low left - Privi Partizan M193 5.56 NATO 55gr - hits high and I have a huge flyer! Could be me and could also be that the barrel was heating up a bit by this time. I wasn't allowing the barrel to cool between shots.

Low right - Freedom Munitions Vmax 55gr .223 - Barrel was hot by this time. This could have contributed to the low right shots… or it could me not doing my part…. or both. Big flyer to the left of it too (probably me)

I'm going to redo this test again in a few weeks when I have the day off. I will change up the order in which they are shot and see if a colder barrel makes the bottom shot ammo perform better and vice versa with the top ammo used.

After I performed my test it was time for some fun…. taped a nickel on a target at 100 yards and took aim at it with the Hornady zmax ammo:

14425483534_9e924fa08c_c.jpg

Conclusion:

This is my FIRST scoped bolt action rifle and I will be using it for an intro into precision rifle shooting. Getting steady on the scope was an issue I've had the whole time so I will need to learn better techniques on how to steady before the shot. By the end of my shooting session I was becoming more comfortable.

The rifle does its part and I'm satisfied with the scope selection so far. I do notice the crosshairs are a bit thin and do get "lost" when holding on a target with a black bullseye.

No issues with recoil as I'm recovering from disc herniations in my neck.

Shot around 100 rounds that day and was super excited the whole day shooting it. I was taking high fives off the line when I nailed the nickel within 3 shots. I think I nailed it twice.

Nicely done bro.

I find that sandbags work best to stabilize my rifles. Picked this one up from BassPro and it's extremely versatile...

A small rear "squeeze" bag will stabilize the buttstock and applying or releasing pressure will facilitate fine crosshairs adjustments on target. Bipods and rear monopods work well too, but sand bags are a quick and easy substitute for adding more hardware...

Cool thanks LES. Where can I get a rear "squeeze bag". I have a front sandbag I used but getting the buttstock to steady on my shoulder was the tricky part.

Another question... I'm looking into a harris bipod. But I also want to attach a sling. Does a harris bipod come with a sling attachment?

Heading out again this Sunday with my brother in law. Getting in as much man days as I can this summer ;)

This is the one I use and the place I ordered it from...

http://www.milehighshooting.com/red-tac-gear-original-bean-bag/

They make a "Half-Pint" bean bag as well that's a bit smaller, but being that my bolt guns are mag fed I like the extra rear elevation for mag changes. The original size has MOLLE webbing straps that make it easier to just hook on to the rest of my gear.

As far as the Harris bipods go, yes most models should have a sling attachment point on the bipod itself. Also unless you're just stuck on Harris, check out the Caldwell XLA and XLA Pivot models. These are Harris clones for half the price and work just as well...

do your research though. They look alike and they work the same on a bench but since I have been looking into bipods I have read a lot of stories about missing legs and stuff when people take them in the field and work them over. I am thinking about a GG&G or an Atlas.....hard to part with the money but built for battle.......just think if you get a bead on a NY politician and you lose a leg of your bipod....not cool lol
nice looking rifle, compact

I am thinking about a GG&G or an Atlas.....hard to part with the money but built for battle.......

I run an Atlas BT10 with an AI spigot on my .308 rig.

The set-up is built like a tank and has been well worth the money...

wow mile high wanted to charge me the same amount in shipping!!!! I'm looking for the same product somewhere else. $25 shipping for a $27 product is balsy.

Found it at OC tactical for $5 shipping. No worries. Got the color I wanted too. Win win. Thanks for the product recommendation.

Hoping it will steady me out to get MOA or sub at 100 yards…. I gots me some goals to meet. Just have to do my part behind the rifle.

No bean bag it's on its way. Used my BIL rear bag but it was EEh and small. Helped but I think the one I ordered will be better. I'm taking a day next week to properly log in ammo and verify groupings.

been playing with Nikon's spot on program the past couple of days. Going to print out some reports and see how accurate it is with different loads at 200 yards in a few weeks.

I even jimmied some load and flight data for my buddy who's sighting in his 30-06 rifle with me this Friday. I'll post the results on the table with actual rifle performance.

Back