• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg MVP - Maiden Voyage

I am glad to see you are enjoying your MVP. It's a great shooter that will hopefully have a great aftermarket following to come.

Hit the range again with my niece and nephew:

I really like how compact the rifle is, have you played with preloading the bipod ? makes a difference in steadiness and when you start going way out there it really makes a difference when your heart beat moves the reticle.

How do you like the bipod you went with? I'm in the market.....but since I generated a fair bit of OT on the fire I'm really considering the new GG&G.....hard to swallow the cost but if I do it right when I get paid it will be like I never had the two bills and there for can talk myself into not missing it lol

I really like how compact the rifle is, have you played with preloading the bipod ? makes a difference in steadiness and when you start going way out there it really makes a difference when your heart beat moves the reticle.

How do you like the bipod you went with? I'm in the market.....but since I generated a fair bit of OT on the fire I'm really considering the new GG&G.....hard to swallow the cost but if I do it right when I get paid it will be like I never had the two bills and there for can talk myself into not missing it lol

Yeah I really like its compact size and how accurate it is for the overall size.

Can you describe "preloading the bipod"?

So far I like the harris bipod. Only thing it comes loose after about 30-40 rounds so I have to retighten it. I was thinking some blue locktite will clear that up but I haven't gotten a chance to do it as I was preparing for my advanced pistol course over the weekend. I'm off next week so I'll be hitting the range again to do more tests.

I really liked the GG&G bipod but for my intended use I couldn't justify the money for a budget intro to precision mid range shooting. I could buy more ammo for more practice.

its just one of those thing to try to see if it helps your groups. It helps some people and others it doesn't, one of those what works for you things

so when you get the stock shouldered lean forward into the rifle. As you lean forward you will feel the bipod begin to tighten up under the stress and start to push back against your shoulder.....seems to work better prone. The time I gave it a serious first try was with an AR10 here about a month ago, Harris S bipod. It also worked for the owner of the rifle. Went from ok groups to clover leafs....and that was the only thing we changed, just seemed to really be rock solid.

I have good results shooting neutral from that Harris as well, however there is more of a readjustment requited for follow up shots to get it back where it was ......probably not as big of a deal if you not shooting a semi at a half steady pace. From the bench loading the bipod isn't as easy.

BTW have you been trying prone ?
I actually wasn't even going to bother with a bipod, until I went prone with it because from the bench I wasn't any more accurate than off of my pack, prone I was better with the bipod and it seems to deal worth terrain nicer than a pack.....although in reality I have a tendency to find the nearest tree to shoot off of, hunting habit.....but I figure if I get shot at prone is way better than standing next to a tree

sweet thanks for the tips I'll try it out next week.

The range I frequent allows prone and I bought a shooters mat to do so. Another thing I will be trying out next week. Funny it's the only place on Long Island that allows prone position. All other ranges only allow bench shooting (except handgun where you can stand). My state sucks ass.

wonder why, seems like if the muzzle it pointed down range who would care about prone ?

All that being said I still haven't bought a bipod yet....I may never. I made it all these years without one and not at a range but shooting things where shots count while hunting and I usually can find a way to steady the rifle on something so I am just on the fence still, weighing benefit trade offs lol.....never really considered one all my life till I started this little ammo grouping quest and in reality I am not convinced its enough reason to get one

Back