• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg SSi-1 Rifle

Just picked up a Rare Mossberg Single Shot Rifle in a Trade today.
It's a Mossberg SSi-1 in .223. Very Nice Rifle. Checkered Walnut Stock & Heavy 24" Barrel.
Checked on Numrich Gun Parts Web Site & They Don't even have it Listed.
Did a Search Here & Zilch. Evidently, from the little Info I have Dug Up, Mossberg Only Made them for about 3yrs, sometime in the Mid 90's.
If Anyone Has Any Info on the SSi-1 Rifle, Please Post it or Let Me Know.
Will Post Pics Soon.
Thanx,
UncleSarge58

Welcome to the forum from NY. Congrats on your Mossberg ssi. Looking forward to the pics.
Try Havlin for info. and parts. (636) 937-6401

Thanx 4 the Info Old Mossy.
Howdy from the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas.
Just Joined Today w/ my 1st Mossberg.
Here's Some Pics of my New Toy:

UncleSarge58

Attachments

• DSCN0598.JPG
    DSCN0598.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 188
  • DSCN0599.JPG
    DSCN0599.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 187
Great lookin' rifle. Looking around there are quite a few different barrels still available for it.

Thanks for the pics. :D

Sure would like to Find a 12GA 3 1/2" Rifled Slug Barrel for it.
That & Maybe a .270 Barrel.
Let me know If you See one.
UncleSarge58

That's awesome, I never knew OFM made one. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for these.

I've always wanted a Ruger No.1 but never managed to acquire one. Single shots force you to be one your game for every shot.

Thanx 4 the Owners Manual. Copied it to my Computer so that I can Print it out.
Already have the Article & 2 more Bookmarked in my SSi-1 Folder in my Favorites List.
Really Appreciate the Info,
UncleSarge58

Just Ordered a Weaver 3-12 X 50 Scope & Rings for the SSi-1.
Also Ordered the Dies, a .224 Sizer, 100rds 0f Hornady Brass & 100 55gr Dogtown Bullets.
Gonna Try some Reloads w/ 20gr of H4198 & see how that Puppy Shoots.
That is Once I get Home.....in April!!!
UncleSarge58

Well I just found another Mossberg to put on my wish list. Was this made by Mossberg or made for Mossberg?

You are not alone on that wish list. They were made by Mossberg in the late '90's for a short time.

From what Little Info that I have been able to Dig Up:
They were Made by Mossberg from Approx. 1993 to 1996 & Only 1,600-1,900 were Made.
That's what I recall & I've heard as many as 3,000-5,000. But, I've Never Seen one before.
This I got from a Very Well Researched & Respected Local Historian & Gun Collector.
You can Contact him at :
Mr. Gary F. Blythe
Blythe's Gun, Pawn & Firearms Museum
1205 N. Main
Waldron, AR, 72958
479-637-3730
From Other Sources on the Internet I have found that they were Available w/ 2 barrel Sets, of Both Rifle & Shotgun. They usually came with 1 Rifle & 1 Shotgun Barrel, But could be Ordered Otherwise.
In the Rifle Calibers Barrels were available in :
.223REM, .270WIN & .30-06Springfield & Maybe .30-30WIN (I'm Not Sure)
Two Shotgun Barrels were available & Both in 3 1/2 in. 12GA :
One was the Ribbed Turkey Barrel which was Back Bored to almost 10GA w/ Turkey Sights & Extra Full Choke.
The second was a Fully Rifled Slug Barrel w/ Adjustable Sights. Talk about Shoulder Cannons!
This is about All I can Find other than the 2 Sources Posted Earlier.
Sure would Like 2 Find one of those Rifled 3 1/2 in. 12GA Slug Barrels.
UncleSarge58

Last edited:
Seems to be a Really Well Made Rifle & From what I was told:
It was produced to Compete w/ the Thompson Contender Rifles & that they Failed to Advertise Effectively enough to make a Dent in Sales & after few years were discontinued. Big Mistake in my view.
Only Complaint that I can find is a Hard yet Clean Trigger Pull.
Nothing that can't be Fixed w/ a little Home Gunsmithing and an India Stone!
Really look forward 2 gettin' thisun 2 Shoot,
UncleSarge58

Back