• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Troubleshooting

First, I must say that in defense of Mossberg I have owned a 500 pump shotgun for years. I consider this
to be the AK47 of shotguns. It is simple, tough and reliable. I
Wouldn't trade this gun for anything. I received a Tactical .22 as a Birthday/Christmas gift from my loving family in December. When I opened the box I discovered that the rear sight assembly was missing altogether. I contacted Mossberg the week between Christmas and Newyear and explained my dilemma, three phone calls later I finally received the missing parts in early February. I went to the range today with a box of Federal .22LR that I had received as a Christams gift looking forward to shooting at long last but it wouldn't feed. I bought a box of CCI Mini-Mag .22LR at the range but it still wouldn't feed. Needless to say I'm disappointed. I had dissasembled the rifle to clean and lubricate before going to the range, perhaps I reassembled incorrectly but that seems doubtful. Any suggestions or words of wisdom from the group would be much appreciated. I don't want my family disappointed.

Is it smashing the rounds above the barrel? How much play is in your magazine when inserted? Also does it happen when all 25 rounds are in? Have you tried partially loading it?

It seems to be smashing the lead of the round at the breech, as though something is misaligned. The round won't chamber. I only loaded about ten rounds on my first attempt. The magazine doesn't seem to have too much play, but, first time out, I could be mistaken as this seems kind of subjective. I never fully loaded the magazine, there was simply no point.

it's a mag issue i've shot cci mini-mag .22lr federal remmington winchester yellow something... my 10 round mag no problems what so ever! Still have't gotten another 25round mag for it. hell i've had the round (when using the 25) go above the barrel below i've had em hit the sides even! Not only that when I got the gun it as gunked up all to hell (brand new) bolt was covered in black greese and metal shavings. Now don't get me wrong this is a fun gun to shoot and I love my 500 and model 86b but this thing really falls short of the mossberg name if you ask me. Heck i've never heard of any problems with the 702 plinkster and that's all this thing is with plastic shell. Odd if you ask me

I purchased this rifle a year ago. Unfortunately it was supplied out of California, so it only came with a 10 round magazine. I was also having different sorts of feed issues with it. Upon examining the rifle with the action locked in the open position and the clip installed with at least one round in it, I could see that the lead edge of the clip ( the part closest to the barrel ) was higher than the bottom of the feed ramp. This i solved with a little dremel work on the clip. Secondly, I noticed that while loading the clip, occasionally a bullet would lay sort of in a flat position and not with its nose angled upward. I solved this by opening up the clip and bending the spring where the follower sits on it, more upward. I also took the advise about using CCI ammo and now this rifle runs flawlessly! I think for the money the Tactical 22 is a great deal. Just feel quality control needs to be better in the clip manufacturing dept. No idea who makes them.

Hope this might help some of ya out there.

Thanks for the input. I stripped the gun to the receiver and barrel then inserted the 25 round magazine loaded with one bullet and slowly closed the bolt to check how it loaded. It seems the magazine doesn't have enough reach to place the bullet high enough to be chambered when the bolt is closed. I guess I'll order a 10 round magazine if that's what works. You're right Rum66runner, these aggravations really fall short of the mark for Mossberg. It has gotten me thinking about a AR15/M4 type however.

I just got my tactical .22 and have run 500 rounds through it. I have an old x4 scope mounted on the carry handle, but I can't seem to get it sighted in. Do yall recommend buying a newer scope? If so, what do you prefer red dot or 3-9x40? I have tried to bore sight this rifle, but the scope is so far up and to the right, I would have to shim it about half an inch in the back. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello Jonny99 and welcome aboard. As far as your scope vs red-dot question, really depends on what kind of shooting you plan on doing. I have a red-dot on mine, which i use mostly for raccoon and coyote control. Red-dot is great for close range, fast acquisition of target & low light situations. Perfect for what I need it for. For plinking, the red-dot works for 25 yards just fine, but at 50 yards the red-dot actually covers up the bullseye on normal sight in targets. Well, my red-dot was a cheapy so cant speak for all of them. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, toyracer38. I plan on sighting it in at 50 yards, so I will try out a red dot and if I don't like it then I will look for something else.

Hello, all. I joined this forum to hopefully get some answers about my disappointing 715T 22cal AR shell ADJ Stock w/ 25 round mag. I've written Mossberg two times w/o reply. I'm sorry that this had to be my first post. :cry:

My issues w/ this rifle are as follows:
1. 25 round clip only fits 11, unless knife or screwdriver is used to depress spring from the side (not major concern). :|
2. Action does not stay open after firing last shot, except where it catches on the red plastic plunger of the magazine. :x
3. The 25 round magazine falls out of the rifle while shooting! :evil:

I am very upset w/ Mossberg, but hopefully somebody can help me out on here.

More details on issue number 3:
When the clip is NOT inserted, the magazine locking mechanism is solid. When the clip is in, the locking mechanism has a large amount of play in it, and I do not have to press it down very far for the clip to release. The magazine itself fits in the slot very loosely, but cannot be pulled out by hand after it is locked in. After shooting approx. 5 shots, the magazine falls down an inch or so from the chamber, not allowing another shell to be loaded. After reinserting/reloading the rifle, a few more bullets are able to be fired, then the magazine drops out again. I am getting very frustrated.

I was thinking that this may be a magazine defect, but Mossberg will not reply to my emails requesting another one, and I cannot find a dealer that has any replacements in stock (local or online).

Any thoughts? Advice? Opinions? Would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1) apparently the new mags take a few sessions of being loaded to break in and accept all 25 rounds.
Although all mine were fine...
Did you try using the mag loader thinger?

2)the action is supposed to be stopped by the red magazine follower.

3)I'm not sure. Try taking the gun down (all the way!) by watching one of the YouTube vids while you do it the first time. Clean everything up nice, reassemble and see if it does the same thing.

Maybe try firing just the action w/magazine and see if it does the same thing

It could be mag related.

4)try calling mossberg instead of e-mailing them.

5) welcome to mossberg owners, enjoy your stay! Do some reading on the wobbly mag fix, and the other little tips on here to get the most out of your tac .22

Good luck!

Agreed with the mag taking a few sessions to break in the spring. If you can only load 11 rounds, try tapping the clip against something and then load the rest of the rounds. I was also a little unhappy with mossberg, until I ran a few hundred rounds through it and now I love this gun.

Another thing about loading the mags, all 4 of my 25 round mags accepted 25 right off the hop...

I find the first 10 or so no issue, once I get resistance. I use that little loader that comes with the mags.

Sometimes you have to do a double tap kinda push down with it when it doesn't want to go down all the way for a new round.

Kind of finicky, but i've had no major issues.

After loading the mag a few times, using the loader, I can beat it down to accept more shells...but I don't feel very comfortable doing that. I've tried tapping the mag on tables, doorways, etc., but the casings get caught on a burr or something inside. Hopefully it will just wear down. Again, this is not my main concern, though. My main concern is the clip falling out while shooting the rifle.

Bellofello, I didn't try breaking the rifle down completely yet, because I was thinking that I may have to return it. I don't wanna strip a thread or anything (plastic w/ metal screw)...but I will go ahead and try it tonight, just being careful not to screw anything up.
I haven't gotten a chance to call Mossberg on the phone just yet. Emails and forum are much easier through the work day. I will try to call them soon.

Jonny99, I can't wait 'til I love this gun! I have visions of optics, bi-pod grip, and any other accessories that will increase the fun of shooting it...but these visions seem a bit foggy right now.

Thanks again, guys, any more thoughts would be great!

Just make sure to have screwdrivers that fit well, and just don't try to torque anything down. Snug is fine.

Will the screw that holds the mag release tighten any more?

I found this screw effect mag release function.

Too tight, the lever will stick open and be difficult to operate, too loose and it's floppy.

Maybe try playing around with that?

I looked at the mag release screw first. It is tight.
I found that there are no adjustments for it, I was hoping that there were.

UPDATE:

On my way home from work today, I stopped in at Gander Mtn to see if they got any more 25 shot mags in. They did not...but I talked with the gunsmith about my problems. He asked me to bring it in so he can shoot it. Luckily, I had it with me, and he had the same issues with it. He told me that I need to return it to Mossberg to be repaired because it has a mechanical defect. I asked him if it was worth taking the rifle apart and cleaning it to see if that would help, and he told me not to bother. It would have to be fixed by Mossberg.

Hopefully, I will have good news soon. Thanks again for your advice, guys!

AlcoholCamel said:
Hello, all. I joined this forum to hopefully get some answers about my disappointing 715T 22cal AR shell ADJ Stock w/ 25 round mag. I've written Mossberg two times w/o reply. I'm sorry that this had to be my first post. :cry:

My issues w/ this rifle are as follows:
1. 25 round clip only fits 11, unless knife or screwdriver is used to depress spring from the side (not major concern). :|
2. Action does not stay open after firing last shot, except where it catches on the red plastic plunger of the magazine. :x
3. The 25 round magazine falls out of the rifle while shooting! :evil:

I am very upset w/ Mossberg, but hopefully somebody can help me out on here.

More details on issue number 3:
When the clip is NOT inserted, the magazine locking mechanism is solid. When the clip is in, the locking mechanism has a large amount of play in it, and I do not have to press it down very far for the clip to release. The magazine itself fits in the slot very loosely, but cannot be pulled out by hand after it is locked in. After shooting approx. 5 shots, the magazine falls down an inch or so from the chamber, not allowing another shell to be loaded. After reinserting/reloading the rifle, a few more bullets are able to be fired, then the magazine drops out again. I am getting very frustrated.

I was thinking that this may be a magazine defect, but Mossberg will not reply to my emails requesting another one, and I cannot find a dealer that has any replacements in stock (local or online).

Any thoughts? Advice? Opinions? Would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1.after a couple of uses the mag will be just fine
2.you can take the charger back and then using the charger handle push the charging handle towards the left,then you should feel a connection then let go and it will stay there:)
3.when you put the mag in make sure you really put some pressure upwards, maybe that ill work. :D

Werik said:
First, I must say that in defense of Mossberg I have owned a 500 pump shotgun for years. I consider this
to be the AK47 of shotguns. It is simple, tough and reliable. I
Wouldn't trade this gun for anything. I received a Tactical .22 as a Birthday/Christmas gift from my loving family in December. When I opened the box I discovered that the rear sight assembly was missing altogether. I contacted Mossberg the week between Christmas and Newyear and explained my dilemma, three phone calls later I finally received the missing parts in early February. I went to the range today with a box of Federal .22LR that I had received as a Christams gift looking forward to shooting at long last but it wouldn't feed. I bought a box of CCI Mini-Mag .22LR at the range but it still wouldn't feed. Needless to say I'm disappointed. I had dissasembled the rifle to clean and lubricate before going to the range, perhaps I reassembled incorrectly but that seems doubtful. Any suggestions or words of wisdom from the group would be much appreciated. I don't want my family disappointed.
1.sights are complete junk, with no1/4 inch clicks or something like that
2.try copper-plated ammo
3;ook over it seeif there is anything wrong.

Just because the sight doesn't have 1/4" clicks doesn't mean it's junk.
I don't think 1/4" fine adjustment is useable on a rifle like this. It's not exactly a precision instrument...

It isn't the best sight but it will work in a pinch.

Back