• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Troubleshooting

I just got a new 715T as my first gun and shot it for the first time today. I'd like to say that it is quite a blast to shoot it and everyone else on the range wanted to take a couple shots with it as well. I did run into some problems though and since I'm a rookie, I'd like to see what yall think.

I kept running into feeding problems. Suprisingly, the more troublesome ammo was the CCI minimag. I also ran some Remington subsonic rounds with only one failing to load, and some CCI stingers as well. I did shoot the minimags the most so the sample size was significantly bigger but I'm still not sure if it should be doing it this much. I did notice though depending on how easy the rounds went in the mag, that would decide if they load properly or not. Some get stuck in the mag and won't come out at all. Definitely thinking it's a faulty mag.

Also, a very large portion of my shots were aiming pretty low left. It wasn't a good group but definitely low left. I tried to play with the sights but it didn't seem to help. I could really use some help when it comes to the accuracy part. I don't know if it's user or tool error.

Attachments

• 25 yards.JPG
    25 yards.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,095
  • IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,096
  • IMG_01301.jpg
    IMG_01301.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,096
This is pretty much what 2 out of 5 of my rounds looked like on my first outing with my 715t.
As you've read here numerous times Mossberg has a real issue with the mags for this rifle.
Suffice it to say I returned the original mag that came with the gun and purchased two new mags. This past weekend I went through 200+ rounds without a single failure.
So my first advice would be to take the mag back where you purchased the gun and get a new one.
Oddly enough the main offenders seem to be the mags supplied with the guns...it seems an entire bad batch was slated for sale with the guns.
I know a couple of people with these guns and not a single after-sale blister packed mag has had issues.
Go figure.
As to the shooting to the left...I'd just try cranking in more adjustment. I know that on mine (the carry handle version with the A2 sights) the rear diopter ended up 3/4 of the way over in its travel to the right before it was sighted in. But now offhand at 50m it is getting 3" groups offhand dead centre on the bull.

i have new second mag that was not shipped with the gun...it don't feed either and i have had no bent rounds like that. i am waiting for the shipping label from mossberg to send it back...i hope it don't take too long...i plan on sending them back both magazines...i had better get two that work back...

mine shoots low and to the left also, but i am shooting freehand and have not sighted in with a rest yet...i was having too many other problems with the feeding issue to want to spend time on finding zero....if i decide to keep this once i get it back from mossberg(ASSUMING that it is working properly), i will put it on a rest and sight in at 50 yrds. i have a feeling i should have gotten the flat top version as if i move my rear sight any more, the peep "disappears" into the top rail. as it is i am about 3 inches below center at 30ish yards. i do plan on putting some sort of scope/red dot on it...if i keep it...i may ask mossberg to reassemble with a flat top and pay them for it...

Re: Loose fitting magazine fix

bryanjbenn said:
Well just joined the Mossberg Tactical family a few days ago. I love the value of this gun and it just looks sweet. Now since I brought it home, I really liked everything about the gun but one thing.....the magazine. it wobbled....it rattled.....it felt like it would fall out at any time....and that drove me crazy!!!! So I searched on here and found someone suggested wrapping the thin part of the magazine with black electrical tape. Tried that and did not fix the issue for me. OK...so my second attempt was to put adhesive rubber feet from some routers/switches at work on the flats on the top of the plastic part of the magazine and using a dremel to grind them down until the fit was tight to help stabilize the magazine. This solution sort of worked, but still allowed some rotation of the magazine.....still drove me crazy!!! Then it came to me as I studied the gun.......I decided to use a couple of "pins" used in cabinets that adjustable shelves sit on. I Started by drilling two holes with a bit the same size as the shelf pins....offsetting the holes just a bit front to back to add some additional latteral stability. I then put a piece of masking tape over the guns flat part of the magazine flat and pressed down to get an imprint of where the holes were drilled. I took the tape off and made sure it was upside down to transfer the hole pattern to the top of the magazine. I drilled those holes now. Then insert the pins in the magazine side with some Gorilla Glue super glue. Let it set up and the pins are rock solid. Now you push the magazine in and the pins go into the holes of the gun perfectly and create a rock solid stability front to back and side to side. I could not be more happy and the project did not cost me a dime....had everything right here already. The magazine is perfect now!!! Just wanted to share my results in case this drives anyone else crazy! (Also make sure you only glue the pins on the magazine side. If you ever get another magazine, it will still go in the gun)

IMG_20120622_205534.jpg

IMG_20120622_205600.jpg

I took a little simpler approach with a 65cent roll of black electrical tape, wrapping it around and around the bottom 1 inch of the mag body just above the plastic overmold. I didnt count how many layers or times I went around each mag but it was several to get just the right build up to reduce the play but not be too tight.

Re: MOSSBERG TACTICAL 22 MAG ISSUES

robupnya said:
So I just picked my Tactical 22 up from the store today (california), and while fidling with it, I find it hard for the 10 round clip to load and harder to release. When I try to release it, it feels as if its stuck and I have to yank it out with the release lever down. Not sure what the problem is? Is anyone else having the same issues with the stock 10 round mag?

Make sure you manually pull the bolt all the way back and then press the charging handle in until it catches and locks back by itself or else the bolt is just held back by tension against the mag follower of the mag.

Did Mossberg goof with the "bolt catch"?

While the bolt catch on our mossbergs can be useful as to knowing right away that your last round has been shot, isn't it just a nuisance in terms of operation?

You fire your last round and the mag follower catches the bolt. Then you have to rack it back fully into lock position before being able to release your magazine. You could rip the mag out without locking the bolt back but then the bolt would slide forward and make a ton of noise and make people around you nervous.

Wouldn't it make more sense to cut the mag follower down so that it lines up with the top of the mag allowing the bolt to remain forward after the last round? Once you hear "click" when you pull on empty, you just drop the mag, insert the next one, rock the bolt back and your good to go? I might try this.

Thoughts?...

Re: Did Mossberg goof with the "bolt catch"?

I'd prefer a closed bolt on last round too.
I've wondered if the rear of the follower had a 45deg. angle ( or so ) off it , so the bolt would ride over the follower...just been to chicken to try.
My question would be about the ammo stacking properly.

Exactly my concern too cutting just the rear tip of the follower at 45 degrees. Cutting down the entire follower would be the safer bet but would require a little more precise machining.

If i can get around to it tonight, I'll try the 45 deg cut with one of my mags. If it works I will leave it like that. If it gives me problems I will make the long cut. Me and my buddy are hittin the range tomorrow so I will take vids if I can get it done.

This is going to take a little more work than I initially thought. Cutting down the entire length of the mag follower will definitely not work because the point where the bolt meets the follower is below the top edge of the magazine (because this is what chambers the next round). I did not think about this before and Im glad I thought it through. Now cutting the rear end at a 45 COULD work but it would be necessary to take apart the mag completely to make a deep enough cut to slide under the bolt. I guess you can call me a chicken now too because making a cut that deep is going to leave me with half the surface area of the follower which i would imagine will totally screw up the stack.

Im bummed :(

Anyone know if Mossberg or anyone else is working on a new mag for this gun?! If so... we need to tell them WE DO NOT WANT THE BOLT TO CATCH ON THE LAST ROUND!

I dropped the rifle off at the fed ex counter today. i hope to get it back soon. i sent both mags and asked for the flattop shell. as i am worried about obtaining zero. they said no can do, it is not available as an accessory. more great customer service.

I just got my replacement Bolt and bolt handle back from the dealer I bought the .22 from. so far the bolt is no longer sticking open, still some miss feeds, which I am thinking are from the Magazine springs still not being broken in yet.

Will report back, have the magazines loaded to full capacity, letting them sit like that for a day or two until I go to the range.

These rifles come new with a heavy oiling all over the bolt and inside the receiver.
This will cause alot of FTF's FTE's ect.
Clean this oil out and do not over lube.
I'll flush the receiver internals out with varsol ( paint thinner , bbq lighter fluid ) and briskly work the bolt back and forth. I don't even take the rifle apart to do this ..and yes , there's drippage coming out , won't hurt anything , just watch out where the drippage is going.
Let it stand for a bit to let it dry .
I'll do the same after firing too...like 500rds later...
I've had zero probs with either my 702tact or the 715T and I honestly feel it's because I keep them lubed to the very , very minimum.
I must have got lucky with my mags ...zero prob there too.
There are "lemons" out there , but that's said with anything we purchase

before i shot it, i cleaned and lubed it, but not to the point of disassembly suggested by the manual. then i sent 75 rds through it with a few fail to feeds, like stated in an earlier post. i thought maybe it was under lubed so i cleaned and lubed more. it was worse, so i cleaned and lubed again, this time with minimal lube. still only getting one round out most of the time. i highly doubt my issue is with the how well i have have cleaned and lube the gun.

Well..like I aid ..there are lemons out there ..and I really feel for those who have made that unfortunate purchase.
My lubrication , incidently , is nearly nil.
I just like it clean.

mossberg received the gun a little over an hour ago...i'll give them a week before i call.

Bbqznbeer...off topic...are you a sarnia sting fan? do you go to any games?

Took mine to the range yesterday, fired off about 400 rounds, Bolt stuck open about twice (near the end of the session). and only 3 maybe 4 missfeeds.

a lot better than every other bullet.

cleaned the gun will, try again in a few days. Hopefully same results

Maybe this has already been covered, sorry I havent read the entire thread so if it has just ignore me, but per my experiece choice of ammo makes a BIG difference in the reliability/accuracy of any .22 I've ever shot.

Some ammo is very dirty and will cause the action to jam up quicker than others. Also some bullets seem more waxy then others and can contribute to problems. Some semi-autos like snappier loads to make sure they cycle properly.

In addition to cleaning the gun thouroughly, trying a variety of ammo might resolve some issues as well.

MikeD, I have tried 4 different kinds, ranginf from cheap to "expensive"...same outcome...even the ammo that i first tried, that worked "ok" was limited to single shots before i shipped it off.

Bought a new rimfire metal target today, went thought 4 full clips, with CCI standard velocity ammo, and only had 1 jam, and Maybe 1 bolt stick. It is for sure 100x better than it was before I got the bolt replacement.

Back