• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg, the oldest family of firearms

Until 1915 Beretta only made barrels, The old man Mossberg was a pioneer in the development of the hammer action while working at Iver Johnson in the late 1880's, Then working for 14 years at Stevens Arms until 1914. I would have to count out Beretta as being the oldest firearms manufacturing family because until 1915, technically they did not produce a firearm and even though Mossberg and Sons didn't get started in business until four years after Beretta made their first firearm, the old mam was already established as a firearms maker and he was part of the family and as the post started

Mossberg, the oldest family of firearms.

I guess it's all in how your look at it. Beretta was making parts for firearms more than 350 years before Mossberg was even a company.

Yes Beretta was making barrels before there was a percussion cap and most of the world still had no knowledge of gun powder.

There are numerous (old) US firearms manufacturers.

Remington

Henry

Colt

Just to name a few.

Most of them have through the years been have been sold or merged, no longer a family business.

Remington is not a family owned business, was a corporation almost a hundred years ago.

Colt has been a corporation since 1836.

The current Henry started in 1996

I am surprised you didn't mention AH Fox, then again it was incorporated long ago, kind of died off and now is a really high end custom double barrel.

What I was saying, that I must agree with the original opening post by Rossignol, to the word "Family of firearms."

I never considered a corporation of investors a family even though they still use a family name.

Quote from press release by O.F. Mossberg from the company web site follows,

"Oscar Frederick Mossberg and his two sons, Iver and Harold, founded O.F. Mossberg &
Sons, Inc. in 1919. The company has remained a family owned business to this day,
and is the oldest family owned firearms manufacturer in America. Since 1967, Oscar’s
grandson, Alan, has driven the company to the success it has enjoyed over the
decades. Today, Alan serves as Chairman-of-the-Board, and his son, Iver, now
presides as the company’s Chief Executive Officer."

Maybe to be more precise we should rename this thread to "O. F. Mossberg and Sons, the oldest family owned firearms company."

Back