• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossy 500 (M500) in the US Army's maintenance pub...

While I am always fascinated by cartoons in the military manuals, I must say that I still love my Winchesters. Even if they have been replaced in service.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but how come the Army supports the 500 but not the 590? They're essentially the same thing.

It's not a stupid question, and this may be the wrong answer, but to my knowledge, the navy is the only branch that required the heavy barrel (590) due to sailors banging them into bulk heads and the likes so they wouldn't dent the barrels as easily.

It's not a stupid question, and this may be the wrong answer, but to my knowledge, the navy is the only branch that required the heavy barrel (590) due to sailors banging them into bulk heads and the likes so they wouldn't dent the barrels as easily.

Heavy barrel takes longer to rust out too, ;)
How does the navy prevent rust in shotguns "on the rack"?

Reminds me of PM Connie from the "SWEET 16 " { M16 Maintenance Comics } during the Viet Nam War...September 1967...27 pages long.

61990616-8988-4005-b666-54caab8d00f0_zpsshhxvehb.jpg

"Connie" even foretold the intro of the M4 carbine...

fdecca6c-f1ea-4422-942a-e81badb4509b_zpsjbl7yv0n.jpg

Back