• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Moving away from the midlength's

Yes, two days ago, when i got the lapping tool, i stuck it in the receiver and held it up to the sunset. Spinning it all I could tell where the high spots were. Viewing mine from the barrel end it was highest at about 1-2 o'clock

This is the upper that I bought that came with the middy barrel, and I think it is pretty straight, but it's not going to hurt it to give it a good once over to ensure it's straight as can be.

I'm glad you pointed the lapping tool out to me.

I honestly cant remember where i first stumbled across them. I think it may have actually been on the 65grendel forum, or youtube. Once i saw how simple the process was, and inexpensive, it seemed foolish not to pick one up.

With as many uppers I have built over the years, it wouldn't have hurt to have owned one of these long ago, but I thought I had to have a mill or lathe to do it, so is why I never looked into them.

Got the teardrop forward assist changed out now. I like them better than the round ones. More contact area=more comfortable to use.

pretty sunset 005.JPG

The sling swivel rivet is done.

pretty sunset 006.JPG

And the 3 prong flashider is installed and timed.

pretty sunset 007.JPG

Thank you LES, it's coming along.

It's refreshing to see folks appreciate a build for what it is, rather than what it could be.

I posted a topic on another forum and while 1 or 2 have been polite, you'd think I was giving birth to the antichrist by not going 100% retro on it using all Colt parts.

For some reason, even my colt competition lower isn't "colt enough".

Guess they missed the memo from a year and a half ago.

http://www.colt.com/Media/PressRele...ense-LLC-and-New-Colt-Holding-Corp-Merge.aspx

Yeah, and all that because the lower had selector stops and "real colts" don't.

I didn't even waste my time replying to him anymore after that because I'm certain that it would've went downhill from there and I know how that would end.

Seems like those kinds hate being ignored more than being told to jump in the lake.

Got the package from midway with the new tools in it.

The receiver lapping went easily and quickly.

retro 003.JPG

retro 004.JPG

retro 007.JPG

retro 009.JPG

Since the barrel is officially installed, I may as well show the stainless steel and nitride treated gas tube. Should be strong and last a while and be corrosion resistant.

retro 012.JPG

retro 013.JPG

wow

I have only shot one once and it was really cool.

feels lighter than my 18".....or at least balanced a lot better

the 3 prong flash hider with that thin barrel is about the best combo to this day as far as badass looking

Triangle hand guard ?

Last edited:
They feel better balanced to me too. But I think it is the hand placement because my hand wants to reach out there to about where the front sights would be on a carbine.

Triangle handguard is a big affirmative and somewhere in the mail system between here and northeast PA somewhere.

I had a set of triangle handguards several years ago because I had planned to build and always wanted a retro'ish upper, but after I got hurt and needing money to pay the bills and no income, they went to a guy in Texas somewhere and I'm having to start over again on the parts.

But I'm actually coming out ahead on it after that guy wanted to buy some of my extra parts, I'm $107 to the good. :)

Hey, I'll take that. Especially with Christmas coming up and property taxes being due right around the corner.

very cool
to me, with all the advancements , with all the really cool looking ARs, this style is still one of the best looking weapons in the world.....the first design and still about unbeatable in performance and looks
nice

Not only that they're iconic, but rifles still offer more in many respects to carbines.

They are softer shooters, more velocity, farther effective range, I like the ergonomics of them. I've heard many say that carbines are harder on parts (though I've not really noted any instances of that where I could've said this wouldn't have happened if you weren't shooting a carbine).

There's just a lot that can be said for the original.

My rifle gas 18", rifle buffer, Lantac muzzle device.....it is really unreal how soft and still it is. Been shooting the little AR so much , which seems great, but when I shoot my rifle I am always just taken on how nice and still it is......on a preloaded bipod its as fast as you can pull and all rounds hit on target easily

my kid, who really doesn't shoot much, I can really let them fly

Although I don't have a handguard on it yet, I still went and test fired it.:p

Functioned just as it should've.

If I knew the irons would've been as close as they were, I would've taken some 300 meter iron zero targets with me.

But that gives me an excuse to go back next week when I have more time.

John, where are you getting the handguard from? You mentioned they're drying up, maybe i should get one to save for later.

Back