• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My .308 Patrol

wood chucker

Supporter
It does use both the AR-10 and M-14 magazines interchangeably.
Of the different loaner magazines tested all locked and dropped like they should. Very positive.

I like the M-14 magazines better "just because" and the follower acts as a bolt stop which I very much like so I will go with them. That and they also fit a little tighter. The polymer P-mag 20 was buttery smooth. the smoothest of the bunch in fact.

The action is as smooth right out the box as my MVP 5.56's are after their break in was complete.

The trigger is silky smooth with no take up, no creep and breaks like a damn glass rod at 3.0 pounds on the digital pull scale. I am leaving it alone. Three pounds is plenty light for cold wet numb fingers.

This is to be my bush rifle a.k.a. brush gun for hunting in the wet and rough up here in pacific northwet. The nylon insert in the front sight does a very nice job of funneling light to glow and will do me well in twilight hours. Most likely it will get changed to green .The rear receiver bridge will get a peep sight of some sort. The scope rail will only get used during load development. I am working on getting a nice Leupold for that task. Till then I have a 1.5-5 on it for factory ammo testing.

Since the Patrol comes with a threaded muzzle and iron sights I went with it instead of the 18.5" Predator which has neither.

The velocity difference between a 16.25" and a 18.5" barrel is negligible and the muzzle blast is the same.
A linear compensator to throw the muzzle blast forward ( for the same overall length as the 18.5) and a good sling are in the works.

Don't ask me why the pic rotated when I posted it.

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Sounds good. I hope it's a good shooter for you. Sure is an interesting concept.

very cool, trying to take some of that scout rifle business from Ruger. The scout rifle is an interesting proposal coined by one of the greatest men to ever touch a rifle.
While yours would need a forward mounted long eye relief scope to meet the true spec of a scout rifle , most people don't like them.
Most people don't give them a chance. Its purpose driven and made for fighting on your own basically as a scout who absolutely could not avoid contact, guerrilla tactics, but can be used for hunting or survival situation. It provides for a good perifreal vision for a fighting situation and it provides access to the chamber/receiver for stripper clip loading and clearing malfunctions.
The back up sights on yours are interesting, usually the rear sight is a peep right where you scope base starts and the scope base goes where you rear sight is.......but maybe that's why its a "patrol" and not a "scout"

I think Cooper refined the definition of scout once or twice. The .308 MVP Patrol does fit within that definition but what perks my coffee is that it is the definition of "brush gun" :D as I grew up understanding it. It probably qualifies as a truck gun too. It is is handy for sure.

Peep sights shouldn't be a problem. One of the neat parts about the MVP design is the rear receiver bridge.
It is contoured and drilled the same as Remingtons model 700 and uses the same rear scope base. The 308 MVP and the 700 receivers are the same diameter too.

nice, should be good at a lot of things with the .308 power backing it up

It does use both the AR-10 and M-14 magazines interchangeably.
Of the different loaner magazines tested all locked and dropped like they should. Very positive.

I like the M-14 magazines better "just because" and the follower acts as a bolt stop which I very much like so I will go with them. That and they also fit a little tighter. The polymer P-mag 20 was buttery smooth. the smoothest of the bunch in fact.

The action is as smooth right out the box as my MVP 5.56's are after their break in was complete.

The trigger is silky smooth with no take up, no creep and breaks like a damn glass rod at 3.0 pounds on the digital pull scale. I am leaving it alone. Three pounds is plenty light for cold wet numb fingers.

This is to be my bush rifle a.k.a. brush gun for hunting in the wet and rough up here in pacific northwet. The nylon insert in the front sight does a very nice job of funneling light to glow and will do me well in twilight hours. Most likely it will get changed to green .The rear receiver bridge will get a peep sight of some sort. The scope rail will only get used during load development. I am working on getting a nice Leupold for that task. Till then I have a 1.5-5 on it for factory ammo testing.

Since the Patrol comes with a threaded muzzle and iron sights I went with it instead of the 18.5" Predator which has neither.

The velocity difference between a 16.25" and a 18.5" barrel is negligible and the muzzle blast is the same.
A linear compensator to throw the muzzle blast forward ( for the same overall length as the 18.5) and a good sling are in the works.

Don't ask me why the pic rotated when I posted it.
What is a linear compensator and what is the price? Who makes them?

Read; muzzle break. Or recoil compensater lots of manufactures. Ive got a Precision Armament on my Savage .308. I can see the bullet hit steel before I hear the ping at 200 yards.

Back