• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first mod: The 590a1 Buster

Southpaw said:
Couldnt you move the barrel ring on the 835 barrel? The 590s ring is silver soldered, isnt it? If the 835 barrels is as well, it could be removed and reattached, in theory at least?

It sure could be moved! ;)

Like anything else of that nature, just have to find a reputable smith that knows what he or she is doin and can properly heat the barrel and all. It then needs to be refinished.

I like the idea though!

I have an 835 28 inch over-bored barrel and using a Choate extension, made it a 10+1 and in two days should have in another tri-rail that I will cut to fit the ribbed barrel and hold the extension. The extension cost me $54.85 at MidwayUSA. The tri-rail was $30 on Amazon from Tactical Deals.

I think I can cut the top bracket lengthwise taking out .25 inches saddling the barrel thus leaving the rib unobstructed. You can see the Choate extension at... Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag Pump Action - Choate Magazine Tube Extension. That was a lot cheaper than getting a gunsmith to re-solder a barrel. The extension came with a clamp with swivel bolt. Once you replace the magazine tube with an 835 tube you would have your choice of extensions from a +2 up to a +5. Slide and fore-end should be no problem because the 835 mag tube is a little longer to accommodate the travel for 3.5 inch shell. The Magazine tube for the 835 is $30 + shipping from MidwayUSA.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2230

tazdevils610 said:
Does the 835 barrel only work on the 590a1? Or can you use it on the plain 590?
Thanks
Richard

I'm guessing, but it should work on the 590 5 shot too...

I'm new to the forum. I own 590a1 18.5" w/ ghost ring sights and a +2 extension. I bought it for SD but I also am interested in adding longer 835 barrel for birds and maybe sporting clays. I like the GRS on the 18.5", although for birds and clays I would want a front bead on the long barrel. Is there a configuration that could work with both GRS on my 18.5" and bead on the 28"? Any advice is appreciated.

Welcome to MO MooseDog!!!

I cant think of a way to keep the rear GRS while using the front bead of a field barrel. That rear shroud and sight or rail (which ever model you have) would have to come off to use the bead. The rear apperature would cause your point of impact to be rather high, even though thats a really long sight plane...

If you were to do a vent rib barrel, you could get a set of 3 dot fiber optics which we've used for bird and really like, my daughter absolutely wont go with out the TruGlo 3 dot FO's on her 500!

Sure thing man!

I'm always lookin for a reason to get a new gun! ;)

Back