• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My first mod.

NCLawman

First off, thanks to my wife for showing me how to post a picture.

This is the first of a few upgrades that I have in mind for my SPX. When I first brought my SPX home I did a complete inspection and cleaning. A few things stood out to me that I felt I needed to address. I had a sight base screw that was too long and extended into the reciever. I had a burr inside the buffer tube that had to be removed. Lastly I found a thin "film" of oxidation on the inside of the buffer tube. After cleaning it up and smoothing out those two rough spots I was thinking about that factory buffer and dreamt this up.

I have a part time security job and have a friend that works in the machine shop. I gave him the factory part and and a sketch of what I wanted explaining how the part functions. Two days later this is what he brought back to me.

The cut grooves are intended to be packed with Pro-Shot Pro-Gold gun grease (good stuff). The theory is that every time the buffer goes back and forth inside the buffer tube it would lubricate itself. Now you may not be able to see it in the picture, but the front and rear of the buffer has a radius to it. As most shooters know unburnt gun powder, carbon, and various other forms of junk seem get in the tightest spots. I once had a BB from a shell somehow get into the trigger housing while shooting clays! Getting off track. The radius is there so that if any fowling gets into the buffer tube "maybe" it would help the buffer go over any minor obstructions.

Off topic... If youve never tried Pro-Shot before check em out.

Attachments

• 930 Buffer 1.JPG
    930 Buffer 1.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 531
Sorry that I didnt respond quicker, had to work over the weekend. I have'nt had time to put any rounds down range with it in yet, but will give a report after it's had 100 rounds with it in. I am only concerned with how well it holds up under pressure because its not a factory part. When I do a follow up I'll take it out and snap a picture of it so you all can see any wear marks on it.

Sorry DH, it's number 1 of 1. Had a friend of mine at work make it from scrap aircraft aluminum. After I've had a chance to test it, I'll let you guys know how it works. As far as manufacturing in mass. My friend may not be able to do it, because he did it with scrap, and tooling from work and I could not ask him to endanger a good carrier. After the test I'll contact Mossberg to see if they want to make it.

Hi guys and gals. I've been a little 10-6 to post lately, but finely had the chance to do a function check on the new buffer. A friend and I went out and fired 100 rounds of Federal "Low Brass" Field and Game ammo out in Troy NC last weekend. I chose the lowest power load that I could find because of all the reliability broblems that I've heard about with low power ammo. The only problem that we had was when we shot "from the hip". This was because there was nothing solid -like a shoulder- to adsorb the recoil.

When I get the chance to do a good cleaning on the gun I'll take photos of how well the part held up.

It may be good to note the buffer was "packed" with Pro Shot Dhooters Gold greas and it was a bit on the cold side (about 40 F) that's cold for mid day in NC!

Have a good night and stay tuned.

I love the idea of making things BETTER!
Keep it up and keep us informed!

Back