• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My new ATR with Nikon scope

I thought I'd show you guys my new ATR-100.. Bought it from Academy... I thought I got me a "Deer Thug" but I was mistaken... Here she is...

ATR100.jpg

Very nice indeed...It may not be a deer thug, however it certainly is a rambilt thug!

Thanks everyone for the compliments!! I just got back from a friends property he's got a nice setup for a shooting range. The farthest away to shoot is about 88 yards. I could probably squeeze a couple more yards or so but I have to fight the shrubs... Anyway, I did the mechanical Zero at home and when I got to the range I set up a 25 yard zero... I was so happy with the results, I was getting a good grouping at twenty five yards... I was using the Nikon "Spot On" software when I zeroed my ATR at 25 yards. Holy Crap, this puppy kicks like a mule... Please see the pic. The center bull's eye was the first nine bullets.. the bottom left and right bull's eye was the two final adjustments.
25yards.jpg

My shoulder was swollen due to the recoil. I thought I had the butt of the rifle secured very tight at the pocket of my shoulder, the swelling say ottherwise. Anyway, at 88 yards I managed only three rounds before I gave up... and I belw it! The last three rounds are everywhere... I packed everything up and ent home. I have to wait a couple of weeks to heal my shoulder before I go out again. LOL.. I'm so ashame, my wife was laughing at me...Is there a padding that I can buy so the kick can be a little manageable... LOL...
88yards.jpg

Limbsaver...not the Pachmyer either. The limbsaver is worth it's weight in gold.

Went to Academy today got the slip on Limb saver. Also I pick up a couple boxes of Winchester 150gr rounds. Hoping to tame the recoil airtime so I can continue zeroing my ATR. Thanks for the tip... I tried it on the rifle they have in display and it fits...

Got home from work, had dinner with the wife and got to business right after.. I installed the Limbsaver the slip on kind and it didn't look that bad.. I thought it looks custom to me. Anyway, thanks to ripjack13 and laze eyed sniper for the recommendation...
ATR100withLimbSaver.jpg

The Limbsaver did helped a lot in reducing the recoil... I shot twenty rounds and didn't have the swelling and bruising that I got the last time... I still couldn't zero my ATR... At 25 yards the grouping seems good but at 88 yards it spreads out too much about 3" to 4"... I'm afraid that's the best thing it'll do...

I think it can do better. Just need to find ammo it likes. Try some different brands and compare the groups. Also, check all the screws and make sure everything is tight.

Went today at Ciervo Ranch in Lampasas Texas... Took a shot at a doe at 130 yards, ran about 10 yards from where I hit her... I guess the zero was good after all... I hit exactly where I was aiming...

photo1.jpg

Congrats!

Being able to make the cold bore shot when it counts is a LOT more imporant than put'n up pretty groups on paper. The fact that you can hit your mark with a cold bore tells me that there are other factors contributing to your group spread at the range. Likely culprits are barrel thermodynamics and recoil anticipation. Slowing things down a bit could contribute to significant improvement in your groups. Try waiting a full 15-20 minutes between shots next time out and see if you notice a difference...

Back