• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My New M500 Tactical Build

Flash68

Copper BB
New here... not sure if anyone actually calls these "M500" etc. but I thought it was okay. Please scold me if that is improper. :D

As soon as I got this last month I started looking for ways to modify it. I haven't even shot it yet.

My version came with pistol grip, 20" barrel, and a factor heat shield installed. Over the coming weeks I researched and purchased the following:

Mako Foregrip
Mako Handguard with 3 rails
Magpul AFG2 Foregrip
ATI Talon 6 position Tactical Stock and Forend
Ultimate Arms tactical rail

I read how it can be difficult to the stock forend off so I bought a UTG Forend wrench which helped. Lots of helpful info on this forum and the Youtube vids made the takedown and installs go pretty smooth (and I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy).

And here is the configuration I ended up with for now and will take to the range and see how it goes. It sure has some slop in the aftermarket forend but it sounds like that is normal and intended.

Cheers all

Nice, look forward to seeing the range report.

Awesome build, I am really liking the ATI Talon stock on mine. Make sure to give us a range report after you shoot it.

Good deal. I recently picked up the exact same 20 inch pistol gripped only cruiser too and started the same process. So far I've just swapped the pistol grip out for the ATI AR stock (non talon though) and added the side saddle on to the AR style stock. Not sure whats next. I have 3, possibly 4 shotguns in mind for the long haul so need to decide if I get 2 more basic ones and then start to customize as I can or go all out and trick out the two I already have first and then worry about hunting down a good deal on 2 more basic ones. Decisions, decisions. Sucks right?

I completely believe in the concept of a side saddle now after some range sessions and don't regret having one on both of my shotguns. Any future shotguns I buy will immediately have one added if they don't come to me with one already installed. Shotshells in your pockets works but its bulky and adds weight. Having extra rounds right on the gun is just more efficient than fumbling in your pockets when needing to quickly reload the weapon. Something you might want to consider down the pipe.

Also you might want to think about a weapon light if this is slated for 24/7 home defense duty.

Other than that I don't see much else you can add to it that would be useful. IMO not a fan of red dots or anything for that matter on top of the receiver but I see you have a rail up there so give it a go. If it works for you to populate something up there then go for it.

Sadly as you are already realizing its too much fun to customize these things but ultimately you need to start bulking up on shotshells and hitting up the range. What looks good on the gun asthetically doesn't always work out in actual usuage for the operator. We can give advice all we want but ultimately its your gun and you have to be comfortable when firing it. Some times accessories can hinder you in that aspect.

Practice, practice, practice. Believe me, we all know how much it can start adding up when you are popping off rounds like there is no tommorow but when that time comes and you need that one shot to count for sure that practicing usually pays off. Firing it off will let you know what you might want to still try and improve on it. I think generally speaking most will agree you made the right call off the bat ditching the pistol grip for a proper butt stock before even firing the thing.

Best of luck with your new 500. Most btw just simply refer to them as a 500, 590 etc........... and drop the M but its perfectly acceptable either way.

Thanks guys.

nitesite said:
What kind(s) of practice/training ammo have you assembled?

I have an assortment of 2-3/4" in the following to try out:

Winchester Super X 00 buck
Federal Vital Shokl low recoil slugs
Remington Slugger High Velocity slugs
Remington 8 shot Target loads

jgwills said:
Good deal. I recently picked up the exact same 20 inch pistol gripped only cruiser too and started the same process. So far I've just swapped the pistol grip out for the ATI AR stock (non talon though) and added the side saddle on to the AR style stock. Not sure whats next. I have 3, possibly 4 shotguns in mind for the long haul so need to decide if I get 2 more basic ones and then start to customize as I can or go all out and trick out the two I already have first and then worry about hunting down a good deal on 2 more basic ones. Decisions, decisions. Sucks right?

I completely believe in the concept of a side saddle now after some range sessions and don't regret having one on both of my shotguns. Any future shotguns I buy will immediately have one added if they don't come to me with one already installed. Shotshells in your pockets works but its bulky and adds weight. Having extra rounds right on the gun is just more efficient than fumbling in your pockets when needing to quickly reload the weapon. Something you might want to consider down the pipe.

Also you might want to think about a weapon light if this is slated for 24/7 home defense duty.

Other than that I don't see much else you can add to it that would be useful. IMO not a fan of red dots or anything for that matter on top of the receiver but I see you have a rail up there so give it a go. If it works for you to populate something up there then go for it.

Sadly as you are already realizing its too much fun to customize these things but ultimately you need to start bulking up on shotshells and hitting up the range. What looks good on the gun asthetically doesn't always work out in actual usuage for the operator. We can give advice all we want but ultimately its your gun and you have to be comfortable when firing it. Some times accessories can hinder you in that aspect.

Practice, practice, practice. Believe me, we all know how much it can start adding up when you are popping off rounds like there is no tommorow but when that time comes and you need that one shot to count for sure that practicing usually pays off. Firing it off will let you know what you might want to still try and improve on it. I think generally speaking most will agree you made the right call off the bat ditching the pistol grip for a proper butt stock before even firing the thing.

Best of luck with your new 500. Most btw just simply refer to them as a 500, 590 etc........... and drop the M but its perfectly acceptable either way.

Great post!

As far as accessories, a light was my next thought as well for my usage. I agree that once I hit the range I should get a better idea of what I want and feel I need. Because we all need this stuff, right? :shock:

Thanks for the side saddle info... I have wondered if I might want one.

Stag1 said:
Awesome build, I am really liking the ATI Talon stock on mine. Make sure to give us a range report after you shoot it.

Thanks! I should be hitting the range in 2 weeks with my cop buddy. He brings lots of ammo. :D

ATIgunstocksUSA said:
Thanks for all of the ATI support guys! We've got our own section if anyone has any questions and be sure to keep an eye on our site for new Mossberg products!

http://www.atigunstocks.com/18-mossberg

Thanks! Really like the fit of the Talon stock.

Looked great before and looks even better now!
ATI Gear is pretty good and only gets better as time goes by!

Are you planning on putting a red dot on that rail?

Back