• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My Recent Build - AR-15

Hello!!!

I haven't been here in a while. But while I was gone I was working on a AR-15 Build.

I started off with a complete all Polymer Plum Crazy Lower and a Complete DTI upper Cambered for 5.56 nato. 16" Barrel 1-9 twist.

I did not like the Plum Crazy Lower so I sold the Plum Crazy Lower and got a Spike's Tactical Stripped lower and kept the upper

For the upper I switched out the Carbine Hard Guard for UTG Carbine Quad Rails

I have put about 100 rds through it. I haven't had time to hit up the range.

Specs of my build:
Spike's Tactical Stripped lower
MOE Stock
MOE Grip
MOE Trigger Guard
Mil-spec Buffer Tube
Mil-spec Buffer spring
Palmetto Stage Armory Buffer
Palmetto State Armory Lower Parts Kit

Complete upper By DTI (Del-Ton Inc)
16" Barrel Cambered for 5.56 Nato
1-9 twist
M4 Feed Ramps
A2 Flash Hider
A2 front sights
M4 profile
UTG Carbine Quad Rails
UTG Removable Carry handle

fb89d656.jpg

70b80172.jpg

42a641d2.jpg

4aa062ec.jpg

0ca9dedd.jpg

b0e1d9fe.jpg

363f4143.jpg

Very nice! I'm thinking of either building one or get the M&P Sport 15. I do understand the advantages of building one too.

Kodiak said:
or get the M&P Sport 15.
I put a couple hundred through one on Thanksgiving. Closed my eyes and it felt like my buds $1000 yhm...but lighter.

I love Spikes. They make good gear for the money.
The AR I built has a RRA lower (bought it stripped and put in a Colt parts kit I acquired).
I boogered up the side of the lower driving the drift pin into the bolt release though so I'm going to duracoat it to hide my mistake (three or four little scuffs where I accidentally hit the receiver instead of the punch - oops)
Anyway, I swapped a pistol for a 16" DPMS 5.56 1:9 finished upper and snapped that on it.

I picked up an NCStar green/red dot sight from Craigslist cheap and added some flip up BUIS from Yankee Hill.
I added a Tapco 6 position stock and a 3 point strap from Cheaperthandirt and it's finished.

Darn thing shoots great on the first round but I think it's short stroking because it usually does not pull the next round from the mag. A gunsmith buddy promised to check it out if I ever get time to drop it off.

Probably the gas tube. I tried a bolt from another AR and that didn't change anything. Put on a different lower and had the exact same issue. So, I think that means the problem must be in the upper.

Anyway, I love ARs. I carried a 1911 in the army so I really didn't discover just how cool they were till MUCH later.

Kodiak said:
Very nice! I'm thinking of either building one or get the M&P Sport 15. I do understand the advantages of building one too.

Thanks. I was gonna go with the M&P 15 Sport but for the same price as one I get to learn the in's and out's of the AR and Something I can call my own :)

It was a fun FIRST Build. I'm ready to build another. :)

Expat_PM said:
I love Spikes. They make good gear for the money.
The AR I built has a RRA lower (bought it stripped and put in a Colt parts kit I acquired).
I boogered up the side of the lower driving the drift pin into the bolt release though so I'm going to duracoat it to hide my mistake (three or four little scuffs where I accidentally hit the receiver instead of the punch - oops)
Anyway, I swapped a pistol for a 16" DPMS 5.56 1:9 finished upper and snapped that on it.

I picked up an NCStar green/red dot sight from Craigslist cheap and added some flip up BUIS from Yankee Hill.
I added a Tapco 6 position stock and a 3 point strap from Cheaperthandirt and it's finished.

Darn thing shoots great on the first round but I think it's short stroking because it usually does not pull the next round from the mag. A gunsmith buddy promised to check it out if I ever get time to drop it off.

Probably the gas tube. I tried a bolt from another AR and that didn't change anything. Put on a different lower and had the exact same issue. So, I think that means the problem must be in the upper.

Anyway, I love ARs. I carried a 1911 in the army so I really didn't discover just how cool they were till MUCH later.

This is actually my first build and I think it Faired pretty well. Only one scuff when trying to put in the Roll pin that holds the Bolt catch. I taped it up with blue painters tape and after a few taps the tape torn and I nailed the lower right on the Last s on Spike's not that noticeable so i think ill leave it for now.

I have not shot my ar with the current set up on it but when i had the Plumcrazy lower it cycled through fine for me. it could be the Gas Tube or the Buffer spring maybe?. I not a pro at all just starting out.

GL with finding out whats going on with it.

Well, be careful when building one that you don;t have any open cuts or broken skin. If you get infected you'll want to build everything you can get your hands on :D

Expat_PM said:
Well, be careful when building one that you don;t have any open cuts or broken skin. If you get infected you'll want to build everything you can get your hands on :D

I believe I have been bitten by the bug already.

jummybui said:
This is actually my first build and I think it Faired pretty well. Only one scuff when trying to put in the Roll pin that holds the Bolt catch. I taped it up with blue painters tape and after a few taps the tape torn and I nailed the lower right on the Last s on Spike's not that noticeable so i think ill leave it for now.

For the roll pins on your next one, try large channel-lock plyers with the teeth wrapped in electrical tape. With a small amount of pressure the pins slide in like butter, works like a charm.

Nice job on the build BTW...

Love how your color filled in Pictograms came out. I'm working on building my first AR also..just got an Aero Precision Stripped Lower

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
jummybui said:

For the roll pins on your next one, try large channel-lock plyers with the teeth wrapped in electrical tape. With a small amount of pressure the pins slide in like butter, works like a charm.

Thanks for the Comment and Tip. I will try that the next Build :)

SoCal Choppas said:
Love how your color filled in Pictograms came out. I'm working on building my first AR also..just got an Aero Precision Stripped Lower

Thanks It took some time to get it done. Still debating if I want to color fill the Serial number and the other Roll marks under it.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Beautiful idea! Where have you been all my life?

^ ...I must have been busy installing roll-pins... :lol:

Thanks guys, that's my one good idea for this year. Phew, I'm done...

You did a good job on the AR and the colorfill.

I like to colorfill most of my guns too. I call them my little rainy day projects.

I used to use tooth picks dipped in model car paint, but wasn't entirely happy with the outcome of it for the little fine details.

I found that a set of dental picks are perfect for colorfill.

Here are a few that I have done

jamistuber1.jpg

M10A1004.jpg

MP5Kcompletecollapsed.jpg

Rossibarrelcloseup012.jpg

headhunter004.jpg

I've done a few as well using everything from crayons, paint pens, model paint on toothpicks, to fingernail polish. I'll be doing another this evening on my wife's AR lower. This'll be the first one I've ever done in pink...

John A. said:
You did a good job on the AR and the colorfill.

I like to colorfill most of my guns too. I call them my little rainy day projects.

I used to use tooth picks dipped in model car paint, but wasn't entirely happy with the outcome of it for the little fine details.

I found that a set of dental picks are perfect for colorfill.

Here are a few that I have done

jamistuber1.jpg

M10A1004.jpg

MP5Kcompletecollapsed.jpg

Rossibarrelcloseup012.jpg

headhunter004.jpg

Thanks. Yea I know what you mean about the tooth pick. I didn't think about using something else. Now that you said u used a Dental Pick. I could have used a pin or a needle to get it more detailed.

You have a nice collection there.

Back