• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

My short test of RIO OO and Hornady Critical Defense

I took advantage of the nice weather out this morning and tested the pattern of couple different rounds. The two rounds tested are:

RIO's Royal Buck OO
1345 FPS
9 Pellets

and

Hornady Critical Defense OO Buckshot with VersaTite Wad
1600 FPS
8 Pellets

I tested the RIO from 5, 10, and 15 yards. I only tested the Hornady at 10 yards for the time being.

First, the weapon that carried out these tests...my Mossberg 590A1 20"

I did not have any Shoot 'N' See targets handy, so I just used a simple peice of plywood and put the shots in seperate sections.

Here is the target in question, along side an abused target in need of retirement.

Here are the results from the RIO at 5 yards. Not suprising.

Next up is the RIO at 10 yards. After reading other member's results of this particular round, I was worried about the RIO's performance from 10 yards +, but as you can see, still a pretty tight pattern.

Staying with the RIO, I pushed it back to roughly 15 yards to see what we could get. Now it's starting to move a little.

And here we have the results from the lone Hornady shot from 10 yards. Not let down one bit here. All eight pellets were grouped VERY tight!

All in all I was happy with both loads, considering what they are. One being an all around game/target/shoot stuff load and the other being one that you would risk your life on.

I'll have a little bonus video to post up as soon as it's done uploading.

Not sure how to embed videos using Flickr, so here's the link!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfEBvFreK2s[/youtube]

Nice work and I always appreciate seeing performance tests! Sweet video too, its all kids of fun shooting stuff that'll blow!

Nice firearm to test from too! ;)

I hear ya! It's always nice to be able to compare your results with others. That's what these forums are for...helping one another out!

I've got a couple of old computer monitors that don't work anymore that I'm itching to blast! Just don't want to have to clean it up afterwards. :lol:

Another video just messing around...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT3SJ1PZITc[/youtube]

This makes me want to check out some 3-gun matches...

I just noticed where you subscribed! Thanks!

I had another account on youtube, but it was an old one and I never uploaded anything, so I decided to make a new one and I got the itch to put some videos up.

Back