• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

need 20.5 inch barrel semi .22lr project

Hi call me crazy but i am trying to find a donor gun for a project to put a right hand ejecting semi auto rifle inside an l85 a1 (sa80) body shell, just like my mossberg tactical 22 is a plinkster inside a plastic shell, , but to look right, the barrel length would need to be close to the original which is 20.5 inches, dont care about half inch either way, as i have some latitude in the exact placement of the action within the confines of the ejection port if you see what i mean, (ie can shuffle it a little forward or back to get it about right,

but i was wondering if anyone can help me find which rifles (semi auto) would have a barrel around that length, any suggestions gratefully recieved
hopefully it will look like this when i am done
sa80-l85a2.jpg

cheers, Dave

DHonovich said:
Any luck finding a .22lr?

not yet, i have put the project on hold as some one on another forum said if i build it it may be prohibited, as it will then be seen as a bullpup, so until i get the position clarified i cant proceed, :(

Have you checked cgn (canadian gun nutx) for clarification on the bulpup law in Canada?
Because I know there are bolt action centerfire rifles being imported (desert tactical arms). And I think a semi of some sort as well. Can't remember the name.

Maybe being a rimfire, there might be a loophole of some sort.

bellofello said:
Have you checked cgn (canadian gun nutx) for clarification on the bulpup law in Canada?
Because I know there are bolt action centerfire rifles being imported (desert tactical arms). And I think a semi of some sort as well. Can't remember the name.

Maybe being a rimfire, there might be a loophole of some sort.

thats what i was hoping, i know rimfire is excempt from a lot of the "gun" laws, like overall length etc, and being as the working parts of the donor rifle would not be changed in any way it would be a purely visual change, just like the tac 22 is really a plinkster in a plastic cover, that looks like an ar, so that is not restricted or prohib, so when i manage to get a difinitive answer from cfc i will post it, cheer,s Dave

I just saw kel-tec's .308 battle rifle for sale on my closest gun stores web page not too long ago. It was listed as non restricted, it's semi and a bulpup design.

So it would probably be a go.

Back