• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

need a new 500

Four 500's all bought used and never paid more thsn $200.
2 were like new in the box.
The used gun market is flooded with 500's. With some smart shopping you can find a great gun.
I did 4 times. ;)

I'd be all over a Persuader for under $300 if I didn't already have one. Whenever I see them on a shelf new somewhere, they're asking $500! Which is crazy but people are buying them at that price and dealers will keep getting whatever the market will bear. Seriously, in the last 3 years, I've not seen a new Persuader listed on the shelf for less than $500 and they don't stay put long. I even told a dealer they can be found for less and closer to 3 or 350 was reasonable. No way he was coming down because he sold it within a couple weeks and got what he wanted.

I know 500s can be found for less. I've never been one of those guys who is able to find a deal. The best I ever saw was a used 835 for $250 and I've kicked myself a few times for not getting it. So at less than 3, I'd be happy all day long.

Make that +2.

Around here any used 500's, or virtually any used shotguns, are priced very close to retail for a new one. I did luck up on my 500B a while back for $160, but that was a rare find in these parts. I'm not your every once in a while shopper either, I'm an every day on my lunch break in gun stores guy. The FFL dealers where I had connections have all gone out of business due to the inventory shortages the past couple years and all we're left with now are the big chain stores that charge $40-$60 for transfers. It's a sad state of affairs...

Yes it is LES.

There are about 4 LGS within 5 miles where I live and and most used is pretty Damn near new retail.
The only exception being if the gun has been drug behind a truck down the highway for 50 miles then they might put a price break on it.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=52438

I was looking at this one for $437, but I just bought a shotgun, and the price is maybe a bit steep at $437 +tax & fees.
but the paint is cool. ;)

I nearly bought an Armscor, NIB unfired, but pre-owned, for $200+ but I haven't seen a Mossberg at that price new or new-ish.

What I really wanted was a smaller SxS, and I found a nice one from the 40's for $300.

A cowboy SxS seems hard to find around here used or new.

Four 500's all bought used and never paid more thsn $200.
2 were like new in the box.
The used gun market is flooded with 500's. With some smart shopping you can find a great gun.
I did 4 times. ;)
What he said. Get a Mossberg built before they started out-sourcing parts for half the price of a new one. I can find an older 500 for under $175 any day in my area. Look at the barrels made in CT. compared to the Mexican barrels they've been selling for years. Friend of mine showed me the Maverick 88 he bought for $220 OTD. I showed him an 80's 500A and 500C I bought for a little over 300 dollars combined. Your mileage may vary.

Back