• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New 4x4 30-06

JT10

.270 WIN
Hey,

Picking up a new 4x4 30-06 on Friday and will probably go to the range on Saturday. Never fired a rifle before...ever. Need advice on what shell to use for sighting in and first target shoot.

Any and all advice is welcome. thx.

Ooooh, make sure you get some pics of it!

Hmmm, I would say something in full metal jacket to get it sighted and for practice, then pick up a couple other things that would make sense for hunting with, whether a ballistic tip from Hornady, or Fusion from Federal, whatever. Maybe try a few types and see what you like best. But i'd say the FMJ ammo to get started and get on paper the way you want, should put you in the neighborhood for the higher dollar ammo.

Just my opinions man, take em for what its worth, someone else may be able to tell ya better?

Congrats on your purchase. I too would like to see some pictures when you get it.

Before I started hand loading rifle ammunition I shot Remington ammunition for 10 years. I've killed 4 deer with Remington Core Lokts and I have many friends who have killed deer with them as well. All that being said, you'll probably get no better than a 2 inch group at 100 yards. Don't think you're a crappy shot, it's just cheap ammo. Once I started hand loading and studying ammo I realized it was the ammo and not me the shooter. But, at the same time, 30-06 is an inherently accurate caliber, and 2 inch groups at 100 is plenty good for hunting whitetails. I only started searching for better when I started trying to hit groundhogs at 500 yards.

Also, I have a 4x4, chambered in .338 Win Mag. It's a little bigger than your aught 6. I really love the 4x4 and I think you will as well. It has a lot of good features and mine is pretty accurate. I think you'll enjoy shooting this rifle.

I bought an inexpensive Simmons scope (6.5-20x 50mm) from MidwayUSA they had on special for 50% off so it was $125.

Any advice on mounting this scope? I picked up Weaver rings for mounting.

Congrats on your purchase the '06 is a great and versatile caliber.

Use a bit of loc-tite on you screws to make sure it does not vibrate loose.

As with any other type of gun try different types of ammo as different guns seem to perform better with different loads.

I have an ATR in 30-06 and tried to force it to shoot Hornady SST but it wouldnt group nice enough for me but the cheap winchester super x in 180Gr it loves. Hornady was about a 3" group at 100 and the winchester was right around 1". So try different ammo that you think you want to use in it and go from there.

Well - I picked up my rifle yesterday and fired 20 rounds. It was not a good day...

1) For starters - the range master was an absolute tool. I wont get into that.
2) The magazine would not stay locked inside the housing. It was Ok when I checked it at the FFL counter but later, when loaded with shells, it would not stay locked. I found out after I got home that the magazine housing is cracked. I was able to shoot single shells by loading one-by-one into the chamber.
3) I was barely able to hit the paper. The closest shot to the bull was about 8 inches right and 2 inches high. I knew it would be difficult to adjust because again, this is my first rifle and I have never used a scope.
4) I could not believe the amount of recoil. I'm sure you veteran 30 06 guys will find that funny. While looking through the scope and firing, there was no way to watch the impact at 100 yards. Is that normal?

Anyway. Next time out to the range will be better I hope. And when I get a chance, I put up some pictures.

Dang dude, is it the magazine or in the receiver of the gun? If the cracked magazine housing is the receiver part its not a good thing...

As far as gettin sighted in, I'd start at about 25 yards and get on paper. Next would be to check at 50 if need be and then 100. The .30-06 should lay fairly flat at that range, and if your scope is close to the bore, there wont be a ton of adjustment I dont think. I'm not necessarily the person to answer this, cant say I'm qualified, but I'm willin to wing it! :D Another thing is you may need a spotter with a set of binoculars.

.30-06 recoil is uhh... well its reasonably heavy for a lighter gun. How are youu benching it and shouldering it? Do you have a sandbag, backpack or bipod? If not, I'd recommend at least a backpack to rest it.

Again, take this for what its worth. I'm barely proficient with a rifle. I can hit a target, but it isnt always a pretty endeavor. Its kinda like the "miracle of birth" when you finally realize what the heck birth actually looks like. Not doin that again, I'm done. The third time the nurse was like, "You can see the head! Do you wanna touch the babys hair?" And I was like"NO! I'm fine where I am and I dont wanna remember that." Here I am today and its seared into my memeory.

Its like that.

If the recoil is making you flinch before you shoot that will affect accuracy quite a bit. If the rifle needs to be replaced I would recommend going down in caliber will help make it better to shoot a 308 is almost the same ballistics of the 30-06 with less recoil. Could also go lower and will still be able to kill any deer size animals.

I don't think you would be able to see impact with any .30 caliber. You don't want to flinch before the shot is fired. Squeeze the trigger slowly and let every single shot from now until you die surprise you. You can't anticipate the shot. You'll want to see the target until the gun goes off, but when I'm shooting a 30-06 or my .338 or even a 30-30 I do not see impact. .243 though is a different story. I agree with starting at 50 yards. You may want to practice shooting with a lighter caliber until you get used to firing a rifle. You may also want to shoot someone elses that groups well to gain confidence in your abilities.

Also, i also would like to know if it is the magazine that is cracked or something else.

Here are two pics.

One of the magazine and housing - the other shows the crack.

D9cat.jpg

zegFv.jpg

Yeah, that def warrants a call to OFM. Dont let up on em dude cuz thats whacked man!

Dude, youll have to call. Call and call again and stay on em. I love my Mossberg firearms, but OFM cs sux as much as anything can suck.

Thanks for the info.

I just called tech. support at OFM. Waited about 5 min. for a rep. Explained the problem and a new part is on the way!

JT10 said:
Thanks for the info.

I just called tech. support at OFM. Waited about 5 min. for a rep. Explained the problem and a new part is on the way!

Glad to hear it. Might want to try managed recoil rounds as well till you get used to shooting a rifle.

Hey JT10 good luck with the new rifle, I have the Mossberg’s Trophy Hunter in 30.06. I love it -I have been using Remington 30.06 ammo for it and the recoil is not that bad. As others have stated above I did have it on a sandbag when I was sighting it in.

Back