• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

new 500 with some questions.

kurtis

So i got the zmb chainsaw 500. Im not into the whole apocalypse but the only thing zombie on it is the little logo so i can deal with that. First off i got it for 450 otd was this too much? Second it states its a 5+1 but i can fit 6 in the tube plus one in the chamber. and third i want to sell the chainsaw handle with the for end and put wood furniture on it but am not sure how to determine the forend size. I was limited to where i can buy due to my location and my wife works at the gun shop i got it from. I just wanted an 18.5 inch barrel with wood furniture but couldn't seem to find any close enough that was worth it.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...berg-500-Chainsaw-ZMB-Series-Shotgun&i=613873

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new 500!

It doesn't surprise me one bit that Mossberg's capacity description is wrong. For a standard 18.5" model 500 the capacity would be 5+1, but your particular model features the 590A1 heavy breacher barrel with the 590/835 type mag tube and cap. The cap on this mag tube assembly threads onto the tube vs. into it which leaves more internal room for an extra round. Here's a chart that will help you determine your forend length...

05001L_05[1].jpg
Just took a quick look and Bud's is asking $477 for your shotgun. Price will vary depending on where you look, but $450 OTD certainly doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Again congrats, we're glad to have you on board...

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy.

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new 500!

It doesn't surprise me one bit that Mossberg's capacity description is wrong. For a standard 18.5" model 500 the capacity would be 5+1, but your particular model features the 590A1 heavy breacher barrel with the 590/835 type mag tube and cap. The cap on this mag tube assembly threads onto the tube vs. into it which leaves more internal room for an extra round. Here's a chart that will help you determine your forend length...

View attachment 5405
Just took a quick look and Bud's is asking $477 for your shotgun. Price will vary depending on where you look, but $450 OTD certainly doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Again congrats, we're glad to have you on board...

do you know if the wood forend is the same as the synthetic and would be universal?

There are multiple wood forends available, so it would depend on which one you get.

If there's anything we've learned from hanging around here it's that there are a whole lot of inconsistencies with forends and action tube lengths, but if you can post up which one you're lookin at we can help you figure out if it'll work with your action tube...

but i can fit 6 in the tube plus one in the chamber.

Shotgun shells are different lengths. I'm guessing you can fit 6 birdshot, since a 7+1 Persuader will hold 8 birdshot. You will likely not be able to fit 6 buckshot shells and certainly not 3 inch shells. Here a some handy dandy pitchers that illustrate the various length of shotgun shells.

Details in that link specify that forend is made to fit the shorter 6-3/4" action tubes.

Shorter forends like that one will not fit the longer 7-3/4" action tubes, but long forends can be made to fit the shorter 6-3/4" action tubes with the use of a spacer as shown in the photo I posted above. Step one would be to measure your action tube length and go from there...

Yes, that one would work.

The poly forends mount to the action tube using the same hardware as the wood...

Back