• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

new 590A1 ammo question.

noeffort

Copper BB
Just picked up my new mossy 590A1 today (my first firearm). Hope to shoot Monday for the first time.
Where is a good place to buy ammo and what should I expect to pay for it? I have wallyworld and dicks locally.
I would like to shoot a variety of ammo, but this SG will be for HD.

I have been reading on this same subject over under the AMMUNITION topic on this website. The poster titled Rossignol (Brad) has some really great videos and suggestions on there.
What I have put together as a list so far from their suggestions is the following:

FEDERAL PREMIUM AMMUNITION
LOW RECOIL
PD132 Low Recoil 00 Buck 9-pellet w/ FliteControl 1100-fps
LE133 00 Low Recoil 00-Buck w/ FliteControl 8-pellet 1145-fps
LE132 00 Low Recoil 00-Buck w/ FliteControl 9-pellet 1145-fps
STANDARD VELOCITY
LE127 00 Maximum 00-Buck w/ Flite Control 9-pellet 1325-fps

HORNADY
Item No. 86265 Hornady TAP LE 12 ga. 2 3/4" 00 Buck 8 pellet, low recoil, 1100 FPS
Item No. 86240 Hornady 12 ga. 00 Buckshot Critical Defense® Versatite Wad

WINCHESTER
XB1200 Winchester Super X Buckshot 12 ga. 2 3/4" 00 Buck 9 pellet 1325 FPS

I have purchased the Winchester at Wal-mart for $9.97 for a 15 round box. The Hornady cost me a bit more PER SHELL but it was at Cabelas and only sold in a 5 pack. The LE Federal I am still searching for myself. I may have to give up on the LE and just buy the Personal Defense version which is about the same price as the Hornady at Cabelas.

I am new here and only know these so far, but I am sure others will be along quickly to add to this list.

I hope this will help as a starting point and congratulations on the new Mossberg!
I bought model 51660 and had to have another after firing it and bought model 51411 the same week. Just to give you an idea of how addicting they are!
I am sure you will enjoy yours as well and this forum seems like a great place to gather information on them - Welcome!!
J.D.

Watch for the new Fed/ATK low recoil Flite Control 1B load. It should do very well.
Tight pattern, enough mass to reach critical structures reliably, and a lot of projos to create a lot of wound tracks.

Jd, Thanks for the hionorable mention here! There are quite a few contributers to the info in there!

Anything you can get a hold of is a good start. Just to shoot inexpensively and get the feel of the gun, the bulk ammo birdshot at WalMart is good to start with then start patterning the good stuff to see what works for you.

M24! I'm really excited about the #1 buck with FliteControl!!! Thats something I cant wait to try myself! For now, I always have the 00 LE132 low recoil on hand, but I keep other stuff too...

Hornady TAP low recoil
Winchester Ranger low recoil

and for slugs

Federal TruBall low recoil
Winchester Ranger low recoil

My daughter can manage the 12 ga. with the low recoil and its more rewarding for me to watch her shoot than to be shooting myself... I love seeing her pick targets and hit them, or to break clays!

That was a little off topic, but just to get shooting you cant go wrong by getting your hands on a few different loads and getting to work!

Absolutely Brad, there are tons of great contributors on the ammunition pages and I meant no slight to any of them at all (You all reading this - please forgive). I just really enjoyed the videos that you personally posted showing what patterns the different ammunition registered at different distances.
The Federal FliteControl was OUTSTANDING!! The Hornady appeared in a close second at the shorter distance. All in all it was the seeing of it that made me believe it was worth trying to find.
Thank-you Brad for the work you do on those videos and sharing with us!
J.D.

JD Night said:
Absolutely Brad, there are tons of great contributors on the ammunition pages and I meant no slight to any of them at all (You all reading this - please forgive).

No worries JD, and Thanks! I really appreciate it!

Best part is that its fun to do!!!

thanks for all the good info! I took it out of the box yesterday, should I clean it or just shoot it?
I saw cleaning the 590a1 on you tube but thought I would clean after shooting.

Thanks in advance!!!!

JD, that was a tremendous job you did in compiling that list from many different threads!

noeffort, If it were me I would start off with less "boutique" or "top tier" premium stuff and buy some low and high brass trap or field loads to help get an overall feel for the gun as well as give the gun's action a little time to slick up some. The Winchester Super-X slugs (light gray box) commonly sold at WalMart are quite good albeit a bit more jarring than the low-recoil "tactical" stuff. But in a pinch they would make very efficient SD ammo. Same with the Super-X buckshot, especially at ranges under 30-40 feet. I would suggest buying 20 each of the Super-X slug and buck and shoot half of them after familiarizing yourself by shooting field loads. Keep the other half for contingencies until you can locate the premium lines of ammo such as what JD Light outlined.

Rossignol sure is a know-it-all.... but he's our know-it-all!!!!!!!!

Just poking fun, Brad. :) :) :)

Howdy noeffort, and welcome to the club! Certainly clean it before shooting it. (unloaded) Check it out, see the "guts" and how they go together. There you will find the factory grease, usually, a few peeps have opened their gun up to find it bone dry, so that's another reason to open 'er up. You need to get rid of that stuff. If you have a gun cleaning kit, use it. A clean gun is a happy gun. It's real easy to do, and once you do it a few it gets easier to do every time.

You do not have to take apart the "trigger assembly", you clean it assembled, and it's tricky to get back together if you do. You can still clean it, just clean it with some Q-tips or a similar item...

If you have seen the video's on field stripping it, then you know it's easy. But if you'd like to see it again here ya go....it even shows how it goes back together... the video is only 5:55 long...it shouldn't take you much time to take it apart and then put it back together, cleaning it is the time consumer...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vcu-G2x4b7I[/youtube]

good luck.

I second breaking it down to clean before shooting.

NiteSite, Ive been accused of being a know it all before! :lol: good point on the Super X ammo! It absolutely is capable ammo for closer ranges like home defense and self defense! I go through quite a bit of it myself and always have some in my ammo box!

In fact, the 00 buck accuracy video I did was with the Winchester Super X 00 buck around 7 yards breaking indidual clays.

Thank guys, off to wally world and dicks to buy ammo and cleaning supplies. One of my daughters (21yrs old) want's to go and shoot too, her 1st time so I may get some low recoil ammo for her. I'd like to try a couple of 3 inch slugs to see how big a kick she has. I'll post how the 1st shoot goes. Weather around here in CT is supposed to be high forties and were going to an outdoor range.

Rossignol said:
NiteSite, Ive been accused of being a know it all before! In fact, the 00 buck accuracy video I did was with the Winchester Super X 00 buck around 7 yards breaking indidual clays.

And that is a perfect example of why I'm teasing you, which I could also do to so many others on our gun board. There's such a vast amount of skills and knowledge here!

There is no way I could speak with the authority that you do on so many topics, review new products which you have bought and tested, capture on film and do post-production editing and then post them (with music soundtracks!) to the interwebz, and craft fine leather and weld better than a friggin' industrial robot, and be a politico, and craft complex thoughts and sentences while employing perfect punctuation, and have a sense of humor, and be all savvy on errythang...........

You effin rock, my (... know-it-all...) brother! :lol:

:lol: NiteSite, I dont know what all you just said, but Thanks Man!!! I aim to please! ;)

And in all honestly, I give a lot of credit to you as I've mentioned before. Its because of finding your 1000th post on TFL that I was encouraged to start doin much of what I've done!

THANK YOU!!!

Had a blast (no pun intended) for the first time at the range today. Only allowed to shoot slugs on the "target" range and I didn't have enough and it's expensive ammo so we hit the "shotgun field".
No targets, only clays to shoot at. Fortunately, I brought a box of clays and a hand clay thrower.
Dam, almost took out a car in the lot and my daughters boyfriend trying to throw the things the first couple of times! Let go of the dam thrower and hit him with it, glad he was ok..... Wasted at least 1/3 of them. Finally got the hang of it and hit one out of the box of 100, daughter's boyfriend hit one too. I will definitely buy one of those spring loaded throwers as the flight of the clays are consistent instead of manually throwing them, safer too!
I didn't see any of the ammo recommended except for the winchester super X.
Ended up buying federal 2-3/4 8 shot, some low recoil Winchester AA for my daughter.
I also got a box of 3" Magnum 00 buck. Wow, what a kick to it. Guys next to us said what the heck are you shooting... Our shoulders are still feeling it.
I got a box of Remington slugger 3" mag 1 oz rifled slugs that I didn't get a chance to shoot yet. Looking at the cartridge it looks like that it can do some serious damage.
All in all we had a great day for 3 first timers. Looking forward to warmer weather...
What would be the best cheapest and accurate rounds for shooting clays?
I bought the Mossy with a 18.5" barrel mainly for HD, but having a ball shooting it for fun.

Man! Sounds like an awesome day!!! Thanks for sharin all that with us!

WalMart usually has those bulk packs of 100 rounds, Winchester Federal and Remington. Theyre almost always #8 shot I believe and run about $23 here.

For a day of throwin clays, you cant do better on price without reloading.

Those 3" magnums are a bit of a system shock if you arent ready for em! Those sluggers will do likewise! I shoot them sometimes, but not often by any means...

I've been wanting to try those Winchester AA low recoil!

Shooting Slugs is very addicting. I have to limit myself. I was shooting with my son at an informal spot and some guys offered to let me shoot clays. I had some #8 and did OK, my 13 year old who has problems holding the gun up actually did better than I, he's much more patient. I was pleasantly surprised with my 18.5" and it's versatility.

I let the guys fire off some slugs and they enjoyed it. It's fun watching someone else get kicked by the mule.

flux said:
Shooting Slugs is very addicting. I have to limit myself.

its is why I started casting and reloading my own......dont have to limit myself anymore

Back